Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996.2 GT3 twitchy on the highway, please help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2020, 10:48 AM
black04
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Strut wear is variable

Originally Posted by saxen
Can anyone give any input on when the shocks typically fail or need to be replaced?
IE do most fail around 25K miles or 16 years
or 50K miles or 16 years
75K miles?

thanks
Why do you ask?

I'm sure there is much variation, such that there is no rule-of-thumb
Furthermore, if you don't drive hard, the wear might not matter to you.

After lots of track use, 55K miles, in 2 years. Mine were shot.
Then I could see the car lose over 1/2 inch ride height while the car sat for 6 months. It still handled. Hell, it stuck in turns better because of the excess rear camber, but inside tire wear was horrendous.

Last edited by black04; 03-20-2020 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-20-2020, 11:43 AM
StephenB
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv
Elephant Racing makes a set of thrust bearings: https://www.elephantracing.com/911/c...t-bearing-kit/

However, the open roller bearing can't last long once dirt gets in there.

This link is not the one I remember, but looks similar. Instead of a roller bearing it uses what looks like Delrin (a slippery version of nylon) sandwiched between stainless steel washers. Dirt is less likely to degrade these, in my opinion.

https://www.splparts.com/products/sw...t-washers.html
I second what Marv has suggested.

I used the Swift thrust sheets have have had no noise or wind-up.

Old 03-20-2020, 12:08 PM
StephenB
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rbahr
I am locked down in Honduras...

Anyway: I would also suggest:
  • Check tie rods, steering rack, and ball joints.
  • Make sure your tires are good
  • Do a nut & bolt in the front
  • Check the rear LSD: Jack the rear, car in neutral, have someone prevent one side from turning, Get a torque wrench on the other side, and see where that side breaks away - more details somewhere
Ray
As Ray has suggested, check all of the suspension. I had a very nervous front end and assumed it was alignment. It wasn't. I pushed, pulled, shook, pried and just about anything else you can think of but found nothing loose with any of the suspension components. Problem is when the car is jacked up and under full droop things tighten up. After a second thorough look I noticed a split boot on the tuning fork with an inspection mirror (split on top side). This allowed dirt and water to damage the rose joint under the boot.

Replaced it and my problem went away. These cars are sensitive to any play in the suspension.
Old 03-20-2020, 05:27 PM
JJT
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Marv
Elephant Racing makes a set of thrust bearings: https://www.elephantracing.com/911/c...t-bearing-kit/

However, the open roller bearing can't last long once dirt gets in there.

This link is not the one I remember, but looks similar. Instead of a roller bearing it uses what looks like Delrin (a slippery version of nylon) sandwiched between stainless steel washers. Dirt is less likely to degrade these, in my opinion.

https://www.splparts.com/products/sw...t-washers.html
Thanks
Old 03-21-2020, 12:20 PM
Johannvb
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Quick update.

I took my car out for a drive today with the goal of trying to identify the source of the twitchiness. I think my LSD might be the culprit...

While taking gentle sweeps in 3rd gear at about 70 kph I lightly played with the throttle and I can feel the car twitching. I think this feels like the problem I encounter on the highway as well. Going of the throttle unsettles the back in a way I would not expect and going on the throttle again also makes it twitch.

Is this normal behaviour for an LSD?

Last edited by Johannvb; 03-21-2020 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:22 PM
air993
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Johannvb,
I have this same movement in a long curve under acceleration. Once I let off the throttle the back becomes unsettled and moves out. Getting back on the throttle will also unsettle the car again. I'm curious about what you find.
Lucas
Old 03-22-2020, 01:27 AM
black04
Racer

Default Of couse your LSD is toast

Originally Posted by Johannvb
Quick update.

I took my car out for a drive today with the goal of trying to identify the source of the twitchiness. I think my LSD might be the culprit...

While taking gentle sweeps in 3rd gear at about 70 kph I lightly played with the throttle and I can feel the car twitching. I think this feels like the problem I encounter on the highway as well. Going of the throttle unsettles the back in a way I would not expect and going on the throttle again also makes it twitch.

Is this normal behaviour for an LSD?
Of course it's not normal. I told you it was the LSD 5 days and about 27 posts ago. :-)

Now you can quit chasing gremlins and fix it. Use Guard's discs. Their new kit includes the 2 thrust washers. I wonder if one of those is broken, too. Replace any other damaged parts with OEM.

You'll fall in love with your GT3 all over again.
You can thank me then.

Last edited by black04; 05-23-2020 at 11:37 AM. Reason: why not
Old 03-22-2020, 05:57 AM
Johannvb
Instructor

Thanks Black04, your initial post is why I tried one of the tests to see if the LSD is shot. I am a competent mechanic and having cleaned and inspected the underside of my car including the suspension over the winter I was pretty sure the problem was not caused by failed components in my suspension.

the next challenge I have is finding a new LSD. As far as I can tell, Guard is not sold in Europe. I can source a Quaife and Wavetrac. I will investigate further.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:24 AM
Mountain Gnome
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Some time ago (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...d-options.html) GT was willing to ship to Europe but that might have changed in the meantime.

In the end i bought a Drexler LSD. No regrets so far: Rear tires seem to bite into the road surface when accelerating out of tight corners on mountain roads. I'm a sunday driver though, so caveat emptor
Old 03-22-2020, 08:52 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,051 Likes on 563 Posts

Originally Posted by air993
Johannvb,
I have this same movement in a long curve under acceleration. Once I let off the throttle the back becomes unsettled and moves out. Getting back on the throttle will also unsettle the car again. I'm curious about what you find.
Lucas
Besides things like a bad damper or alignment issues, I've seen that with one tire being of lower pressure.
Old 03-22-2020, 12:09 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

This is the definitive way to test a lsd. My lsd was toast doing a trackday. Under hard braking the rear was very unstable ie swaying right and left and on titer turns could not power out of turns. Didn't notice much of a problem hw cruising. Well anyway I jacked up one rear side with ebrake off with a wooden block in front of front tires to prevent rolling. I turned lifted rear wheel cw/ccw - no resistance. So had a guard transmission installed there after. Could not rotate wherl( forgot where hey it was cw/ccw). Anyway when I first got my gt3 off the dealer floor car was very unstable even on slight sweepers. Alignment was off. After alignment drove like butter. Anyway given the age of car could be lotta things in the mix. Hope you'll find the fix. Very rewarding car. Mike
Old 03-22-2020, 05:16 PM
black04
Racer

Default Torque biasing vs clutch LSD

Thanks Black04, your initial post is why I tried one of the tests to see if the LSD is shot. I am a competent mechanic and having cleaned and inspected the underside of my car including the suspension over the winter I was pretty sure the problem was not caused by failed components in my suspension.

the next challenge I have is finding a new LSD. As far as I can tell, Guard is not sold in Europe. I can source a Quaife and Wavetrac. I will investigate further.
I'll give you my brief overview and maybe guide you in the right direction, as far as research and such.
I'll be general, I'll be specific. I don't claim to be an expert, but I sorta am Since the OP is going to do a lot of research, he can help correct me, fact or spelling-wise. If anyone knows better, please advise us here.
  1. Most all the other LSD replacement options are not clutch-type such as we have stock
    1. They are torque-biasing, torsen, gear-type
    2. there are advantages. Low cost, virtually no maintenace
    3. there are disadvantages. They do not give the same effect when braking as a clutch type LSD does,Matt from Guards explains this below
    4. .
  2. Many BMW, Corvette and Miata owners love them. Even many C2 owners upgrade from an open diff to gear-type, love them
    1. Be aware though that Porsche doesn't use them at all. (I think)
    2. Porsches and GT3s were engineered a certain way with clutch type. That's not to say that gear type will not work well.
    3. Gear type is generally good for the street in a Porsche but serious trackers/racers usually stick with clutch type
  3. It pretty certain that you only need plates and if you are the poster that stated something about a "clunk" there might be a broken gear tooth as well
    1. If you only replace plates and gears you can DIY. I did it myself, with only one special tool, a home-made clamp for my vise
    2. If you replace the whole unit, you probably cannot DIY. It takes special tools and knowledge to adjust the lash
  4. Dollar wise
    1. Replacement gear-type Torque Biasing Differential is in the $1500 range. OEM plates for the OEM LSD are $1000, Guards Transmission plate kit is $1350
    2. If you drive lots of hard miles in the mountains you have to consider clutch type plates to be an expendable, like brakes
    3. I don't have exact numbers, but my plates were trash after approximately 28k miles total. Roughly 23k miles hwy and 5K in the mountains
It sounds like we both do similar driving Johannvb. I would stick with the OEM unit and in the future replace the plates...
  • every 20k milesusing OEM plates,
  • OR as little as every 50K miles with Guards plate kit.
Guards does not ship to car owners anymore. They ship to shops only and I'm not clear if any shops in Europe are "approved" by Matt at Guards
In any event I can pick up a set of plates from a shop in S. California and ship it to you in the Netherlands

Good luck
Joel

Last edited by black04; 05-10-2020 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:36 PM
Johannvb
Instructor

Thanks you for this very clear explanation Joel!

If you can help me source a new set of plates from Guard I would be very grateful.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:31 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 869 Likes on 573 Posts

Thanks you for this very clear explanation Joel!

If you can help me source a new set of plates from Guard I would be very grateful.
In this very same forum is a recent post my Matt M of Guard where he lists his US distributors ( I know you are in Euro).
Perhaps one of them can help you rebuild?

Old 03-23-2020, 06:39 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 869 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
In this very same forum is a recent post my Matt M of Guard where he lists his US distributors ( I know you are in Euro).
Perhaps one of them can help you rebuild?

Look here

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...nsmission.html

And this is how you change a LSD in a 69 Plymouth Barracuda.
They have swap-in "3rd members" so one can easily change the gear ratios if one has multiple pumpkins.
Easily, but ~ 80 pounds.

Ciao

Quick Reply: 996.2 GT3 twitchy on the highway, please help.