Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

poll how many miles any problems?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 05:10 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4carl, indeed that was a great win for the customer over BMW NA who weren't being straight at all about that issue. Your post here was very worth while before some half wits turned it into an excuse to throw sand out of thier sandboxes.

It is by sharing information that we learn every aspect of our cars, and the ownership experience.

As I said in my original post..........
2K miles, lots of rattles and squeaks in the cabin, otherwise really impressed with overall build quality.
and to add to that I have been really impressed with my dealership, McKenna Porsche, and their great knowledge and very helpful attitude.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:43 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have full leather and only have the airbag cover on the steering wheel squeak(which is plastic). Perhaps there is something to that full leather theory...
Old 02-18-2004, 06:20 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I have just a few rattles from my interior. One comes from behind the rear panel around the speaker on the right hand side, another sounds like its coming from the top of the B pillar, and a third sounds like its coming from the passenger side door. I do have the full leather interior, but I do not find my GT3 any more rattle/squeak free than I did my vinyl 99 C2. However I do recognize that the GT3 rides a lot firmer and thus rattles are just going to be more prevalent. Mechanical noises from the engine, diff, tranny, and tires I can live with. Rattles from loose clips and panels just drive me nuts after a while and remind me of a 1989 Chevy Suburban I used to drive... talk about the definition of a cheap interior left over from the 70's.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:30 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,333 Posts

FWIW RR and macfly,
i have had 2 996's, 1 boxster S and a GT3, some are full leather others are not. i don't think macfly is complaining about the rattle caused by driving over bumpy surfaces, but rather some annoying squeak even if you let your tires go up over lane reflectors on the fwy. every one of my 996's had squeaks (not rattles) at the A pillar. two of SF bay area dealer told me it's a common prob and they fixed it readily. two of my 3 996's has rattle at rear qtr window, and it's due to broken window molding which both dealers also fixed and said was common. while it is true that a porsche let alone a GT3 will never be as quiet as a lexus etc, these squeaks can be fixed and i think should be fixed especially when we still have warranty. of course, we are being picky here as the squeak isn't that bad and i drive with windows down rpm way up so i don't really hear them that much, but i know it's there. the rattles/squeaks do exist, it's a fact, this isn't about complaining. my spec miata rattle like it's blowing apart and is way louder than even the GT3 cup car....
Old 02-18-2004, 07:45 PM
yongster
Racer

Sloth,

I have exactly the same rattles that you have, without full leather. It's annoying.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:32 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,168 Likes on 621 Posts

When i was at the dealer the tech showed me a factory book he just received on the differences between the 996 & GT3 on thing that caught my eye is they use steel gears on the intermediate shaft that drives the cams. From what the tech said is there alum. on the 996s and turbos. That is the noise you here when you rev the engine to 2100 when its warm. No noise cold because the oil is thicker. I drove my self nuts trying to find where it was coming from!!. I swear it sounded like the tinny rattle of a heat shield. Is this one of the noises your talking about?
Old 02-19-2004, 10:07 AM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4Carl,
I was actually the first one to "discover" the noise you talk about. Posted it at another forum, funcarsonline.com Here is my original post there

http://www.funcarsonline.com/ubbthre...true#Post68794

I noticed it the day I picked up my car July 2003, with less than 20km on it.
You are right, it sounds like a rattle, at 2100rpm but disappears past 2200rpm, and only makes it when the engine is at operating temp.
I now have 7000km, and I have noticed the noise to be not as prominant anymore.
At the time, I brought it back to the dealer, and they let the DMV know, it seems to be just a noise inherent with the motor. Your explanation of it sounds like it makes sense.

Most of the noises the guys here are talking about is interior squeaks. I brought up the idea of cars that have the full leather option may not have any or as many squeaks. My car has full leather, and I don't hear any squeeks but every car is different.
Old 02-19-2004, 03:12 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,168 Likes on 621 Posts

Thanks for the link it was very helpful that's exactly the noise i was talking about. carl
Old 02-19-2004, 10:49 PM
Weng
Instructor

16,000kms w/ 11 track days (involving 2 tows back to the workshop).

1. Kinked fuel line caused the car to shut down on the way home from the track. Towed back for fuel lines to be replaced under warranty.

2. Violent spin on track and a desperate attempt to catch the car under throttle (while going backwards) popped out the airbox connection hose which caused the car to go into "safe mode". Towed back to reset ECU.

3. ABS warning light linked to wonky sensor.

4. Loose front sway bar.

5. Rattle from passenger door assembly.

Altogether not too bad considering the number of very spirited miles.

Quick Reply: poll how many miles any problems?