Sponsored by:

poll how many miles any problems?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 02:19 PM
Bass GT3
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Macfly,

Your transatlantic sparring partner here!. Earlier, you mention a sqeak/rattle coming from the passenger side A pillar, by the dash. Has your dealer specified what this is, because my car has just started making this noise, after 37k FFS!! To me, it sounds like it is coming from around the speaker housing and i have had the windscreen/windshield soft taped where it meets the dash, but to no avail. If your dealer traces this noise, could you let me/us know, it's driving me mad,and its not as if my car doesn't make enough noises already
If anybody else has any ideas/experiences PLEASE post them, it's getting desperate!

Best Regards,

Steve B

PS. Look out for an article on a Zanzibar red Mk1 GT3 with Manthey/JRZ accessories. You might know the owner
Old 02-18-2004, 02:32 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Steve, that is exactly the spot, it seems to be right by the join of the speaker mounting plastic panel and the dash material. If I press there it stops, but it's a long stretch from the driver's seat!!

My dealer said at next service he is pulling out the entire dash, and the putting that tape around all the contact points, as well as installing a new frame for the dash mounting. It is something he said he has had to do on many many Pcars. Apparantly they are very frail frames, and are often cracked in the assembly process, which leads to many of these creaks, so it isn't just a GT3 issue. I'll see if he will let me take some shots of the work, so I can show you what is happening. It'll be a few weeks yet, as I'm waiting for a couple of parts from Germany to arrive.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:34 PM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by sjsharks
But persistant rattles and unknown squeaks, is the product on one thing and one thing only....poor design, poor workmanship, and poor quality control, and it is unacceptable for a vehicle that was designed to spend 99% of its life on the road.
sjsharks: In a car with metal suspension bushings one had can expect things to rattle themselves loose and materials in close contact to squeek. I take it as a simple fact of life which occasional tightening and application of lube (the felt macfly mentions would also be a good idea) will keep to a tolerable din. If macfly's dash frame is actually cracked that's a different matter.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:47 PM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by macfly
Just to be sure that you, RR and PNA/PAG all know why I spent this much money on this car, here again is my purchase requirement.....

I WANT A TRACK CAR THAT I CAN DRIVE TO AND FROM THE TRACK, AND STILL DRIVE TO WORK, WITH A RELIABLE MOTOR, GREAT BUILD QUALITY AND A LONG WARRANTY.
macfly: I ordered a GT3 for almost exactly the same reasons. Where we differ is I don't think you can realisticly expect the GT3 to have the same ride quietness of a standard 996 simply because it's more stiffly sprung and has metal suspension bushings. Porsche did compromise on the rear top shock mount where they used the standard 996 mounts with rubber bushings to reduce vibrations. The 911 GT3 Product Info book helpfully mentions for racing use you can buy the much stiffer Cup car version. Your rattling dash due to a possibly broken frame would definitely be considered a defect but I expect you'll find more rattles to come.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:05 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

I expect you'll find more rattles to come

Sadly I think you're right! The road between my house, and the studio I work at the most often is just over a mile long, but it feels like an entire Paris Dakar expedition in the GT3! Wheel barrow is the term that comes to mind, it makes my fiance's BMW 330i feels like a hovercraft on the same short run!

I don't drive the car much in town though, I use it for fun runs in the canyons, mountains and track days, so it isn't a big issue, but I have always had an unnatural dislike of rattles and squeaks in cars.

To be honest the ride quietness wasn't ever an issue for me, I actually like the sounds of this car a lot, it really completes the whole sensory experience, and makes the car very all involving out on the back roads. I've never been in any other 911, so have nothing to compare it to in terms of noise. It's just those squeaks I hate!
Old 02-18-2004, 04:08 PM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

macfly: Too bad my old 911 is being restored for my neices. I could have recorded the amazing assortment of squeeks it made which would make you think your GT3 was virtually silent.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:27 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Macfly,

I received my car in July 2003.

The point is that you seem to have mistaken a GT3 for a comfy cosy, soft and clumsy gran tourer. You whining about your mile long ride to work doesn't make us feel sorry for you - kind of makes us wish you left it for the dealer to sell to someone who really knew what he was getting into.
The awkward ride may be foreign to you, but to us it is "par for the course", actually makes us smile.

Maybe you should be autocrossing your fiance's BMW330i, at least you wouldn't have to put up with that noisy LSD - not to mention the ride to work.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:39 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

RR, my only mistake is wasting time in answering you, since you obviously don't read the entirity of what is written, or maybe you can't read, whatever.

I see that the GT3 you bought is a Hot Wheels, or is it Matchbox?

Cute! Now crawl back into your toy cupboard, silly little man.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:40 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by RR
I'm curious about the people that have creaks in the interior. Do you have full leather? I have full leather and it's probably the full leather that prevents alot of that Plastic on plastic squeaking. Just a thought.
I have full leather and have no major squeaks or rattles from the interior.

Andrew, your car doesn't have full leather, which maybe why you have so many squeaks.

Also, Andrew, you're right not to ignore rattles and squeaks; a rattle I had was a loose coilover and the squeak was a backing plate touching the rotor.

Because there's very little sound insulation, noises that orgininate outside of the cabin can sound like they're right in your face.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:40 PM
sjsharks
Racer

I think there are more rattles in certain posters then in the GT3.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:44 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Noel, thanks for info on the interior. I'm having a full alingment tomorrow, so I'll have them check the coil over mounts at the same time.

BTW are you going to Driving Concepts @ Willow next Tuesday?
Old 02-18-2004, 04:52 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

I hadn't planned to; what's their pricing like?

I was planning on doing the opentrackracing event on March 3rd...

[edit]: You mentioned MPSC in another thread, which website was that, as I didn't see them at tirerack?
Old 02-18-2004, 04:54 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Macfly, relax.

Thought it would lighten things up here.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:56 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

They charge 425 for the day, not the cheapest, but Judy Ray, who is one the the owners, raced Porsches for 7 years, and is a really great instructor, I go for her. Sadly I'm in NYC the week of the 3rd, otherwise I'd have done Laguna with Todd's crew.

http://www.drivingconcepts.com/application_menu.html
Old 02-18-2004, 05:00 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,168 Likes on 621 Posts

I put up this post to see if there were common problem areas . Most dealers only see one or two of these cars. So sharing information is very helpful. I saw this with my M3 and the exploding engine problem. It was the roadfly message board that forced them to admit they had a problem. The board documented 130 blown motors. So are there any other GT3 common weak spots??

Quick Reply: poll how many miles any problems?