996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

poll how many miles any problems?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004 | 02:16 PM
4carl
Race Car

The one that drives me nuts is the sound the engine makes @2100 when its warmed up in neutral. Kind of like a heat shield vibrating. It doesn't do it cold the dealer told me they called the tech line and they said it was the intermediate shaft and of course normal.
Old 02-15-2004 | 03:05 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Mac...Perhaps some ear plugs are in order??

Happily my dearlship, who are wonderful, has told me they are going to pull out the whole dash assembly, pad it with velvet to stop it the creaking, and also replace a mount that they have found is often cracked in 911's.

It is rare these days to hear of dealers who are so on it, but happily mine is!! (McKenna of SoCal)
Old 02-15-2004 | 03:25 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by macfly
Happily my dearlship, who are wonderful, has told me they are going to pull out the whole dash assembly, pad it with velvet to stop it the creaking, and also replace a mount that they have found is often cracked in 911's.

It is rare these days to hear of dealers who are so on it, but happily mine is!! (McKenna of SoCal)
By the sounds of it, you have an inordinate amount of annoying squeaks...Glad to hear the dealer is going to take care of it...
Old 02-18-2004 | 02:17 AM
rsnodgrass
Advanced

Default 5900 miles

Dash vibrations under center console, seriously annoying. No other problems after the splitter flew off at about 1300 miles (just put a new one back on yesterday which scraped 3 times within the first day...ouch).

No track days yeat other than a driver skills day on paired down autocross courses.
Old 02-18-2004 | 10:23 AM
RR
Three Wheelin'

I don't have any squeeks or rattles.

Macfly you wrote:

"3. A bunch of odd noises when the car is starting up in the am, especially after a few days slumber. Mechanical, exhaust and LSD are all noisy when the car is first fired up, and backed out of the driveway, but once warm they all vanish."
Don't mean any offense but, its this attitude towards the GT3's mechanical noises that makes us sound like pussies. Why would Porsche want to send the next GT3 to NA? You are buying a race/road car, not an effing Lincoln. I personally love the fact that the LSD makes noise. I'd also prefer to having the "noisier" singlemass flywheel as well. But that's just me. So let's stop complaining, lets not ruin it for ourselves, who are hoping, or expecting the next GT3.

I'm curious about the people that have creaks in the interior. Do you have full leather? I have full leather and it's probably the full leather that prevents alot of that Plastic on plastic squeaking. Just a thought.
Old 02-18-2004 | 11:27 AM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Why would Porsche want to send the next GT3 to NA?

Pure profit, thats why. Take a basic production line car, take all the stuff off it that costs you a bunch of cash to have on there, put a few litle additions to it, sway bars, suspension etc, and you have a very big profit margin in one simple easy car.

By us talking about our cars here we may well actually encourage a better next generation GT3, so I have no fear of voicing my opinion. I also didn't say that the noises were a major problem, simply that the cars is noisy on start up.

Now if there was a little note explaining why this is in the manual I would be happy as can be. When you buy a new car, and nowhere is there any mention of the fact that it will sound like it's about to fall apart for the first 90-120 seconds it is a little odd. Certainly the sales team aren't aware of it, or what causes it. By talking about it here I find out why it happens, I learn, I'm happy, and I can live with it, knowing that all my fellow GT3'ers are too.

Now as to your question about the full leather, how would I know? The dash looks like its made of leather, as do the door interiors, but they take leather food as if they are plastic, (ie it sits on the surface, and doesn't sink in as it does on the seats) so I'm really not too sure.

Again I have the chance to learn, what do Porsche use for the dash, lower dash, console and door interior, is it some leather lookalike plastic?

Last edited by macfly; 02-18-2004 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-18-2004 | 11:45 AM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

macfly: Unless you ordered the full leather option your dash and door panels are plastic. The natural leather options I think would alse get you leather for these areas. What I think RR means, and I agree with, is the GT3 is not the Porsche to buy if you want a car as quiet and luxurious as a Lexus. Especially the GT3 with metal suspension bushings which are damn sure going to make things rattle. That US buyers complain about this is just more reinforcment to Porsche that folks in this country care more about the size of the cupholders and how much dead cow lines the interior than they care about getting a track oriented car that happens to be street legal.
Old 02-18-2004 | 11:47 AM
sjsharks
Racer

RR

Road noise, engine sounds, wind noise, LSD, yada,yada,yada are one thing, in fact I say in most cases, the louder the better.

But persistant rattles and unknown squeaks, is the product on one thing and one thing only....poor design, poor workmanship, and poor quality control, and it is unacceptable for a vehicle that was designed to spend 99% of its life on the road.

And finally, complaints in here have absolutely nothing to do with Porsches' decision to iimport GT3"s to America.
Old 02-18-2004 | 12:13 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

That US buyers complain about this is just more reinforcment to Porsche that folks in this country care more about the size of the cupholders and how much dead cow lines the interior than they care about getting a track oriented car that happens to be street legal.
This is just one thread, and if 'they' are reading this at all, which I doubt, they will be focusing on the long thread on the PCCB arbitration, where we are all talking about our track use of this car.

Infact well over half my posts here have been asking about alingment for the track, tips for the track etc, so if they are reading at all I think they'll have the idea of who is buying and using the GT3.

Just to be sure that you, RR and PNA/PAG all know why I spent this much money on this car, here again is my purchase requirement.....

I WANT A TRACK CAR THAT I CAN DRIVE TO AND FROM THE TRACK, AND STILL DRIVE TO WORK, WITH A RELIABLE MOTOR, GREAT BUILD QUALITY AND A LONG WARRANTY.

Just so you know, here we are at Willow Springs.
Attached Images  
Old 02-18-2004 | 12:45 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Macfly you wrote:

"When you buy a new car, and nowhere is there any mention of the fact that it will sound like it's about to fall apart for the first 90-120 seconds it is a little odd. Certainly the sales team aren't aware of it, or what causes it."

Your kidding right?

And about the leather, how would you know? Well you would know if you ordered the car with leather or not, or am I missing something here?
Old 02-18-2004 | 01:25 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Your kidding right?
Whats to kid about?

if you ordered the car
I didn't, I bought it off the lot. It was the only one I could find, I didn't ask about what the materials used to make it were, my interest was in it's ABILITY not it's supplemental extras list.

RR, do you have one of these cars, if so let's hear your experience with it.

Last edited by macfly; 02-18-2004 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-18-2004 | 01:40 PM
mds
Pro

Guys, it is a factory race car. If you wanted a street car you should have bought one.

... but in the GT3 cup car, if you worried about these sounds(and they are much louder in the race car)you would be afraid to drive the thing!
-ldw
Old 02-18-2004 | 01:59 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Guys, it is a factory race car. If you wanted a street car you should have bought one.
... but in the GT3 cup car, if you worried about these sounds(and they are much louder in the race car)you would be afraid to drive the thing!
-ldw

I may have just woken up in a foul mood today, so forgive me if I'm getting terse, but what does this have to do with the original question? When carl asked poll how many miles any problems? we were just answering the question that he asked. I really don't see where you are taking this and why?
Old 02-18-2004 | 02:01 PM
mds
Pro

Reread my first post in the thread.
Old 02-18-2004 | 02:14 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Talking Ahhhh, first laugh on a grey & rainy morning!!

Reread my first post in the thread.

Quick Reply: poll how many miles any problems?