Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Thoughts and Valuations on 996 Hard Top convertibles (Buying Advice)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 08:44 PM
arachnyd
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thoughts and Valuations on 996 Hard Top convertibles (Buying Advice)

I found a 996 I really really like. Its higher mileage than I want (into the 100s), but its a really rare color combo, with the exact option package, on the precise look I love. its also a hard top convertible.

I'm looking for a fun car thats relatively repairable. I have a ferrari now and its not the cost that gets me, its that I have to pay $600 for a transport vehicle and wait three weeks any time I need service. That means I NEVER seem to have it when I want it. Some stupid roof sensor goes out and I'm off the road for a month.

I also have a Porsche Cayenne as DD for my wife, and I've been very pleased with it. My shop has all the Porsche computer equipment which is awesome and works on a lot of porsches.

I was fine with the price, but then I look at book value and book value is way under price. Book value seems to suggest an early 996 is under 10 grand???

I don't see a lot at those low price points in practice, bt maybe its just a bad time to buy.

So my question is:

Should I say "Screw the book value" and pick it up if it checks out, or is around 15k way over price?
Secondly, should I accept a 996 in the 120s mileage wise, or should I get a low mileage? I've been watching PCA and listings and haven't seen any that match what I'm looking for precisely, but I can hold out or ultimately settle somewhere else. Theres a lot of good low mileage ones, just not in the look I want.

My use is mainly to just have fun- drive around town occaisonally, go to PCA events, fun track days and autoX occasionally. I'd like to hold onto it for a few years, but it will be in a fleet of 9 cars so won't be driven all the time.

I also really like the look of the 996. I know some people have said "no the 996 is evil" but I like it. I'm waiting on receipts for IMS, but would probably do that if its not already done.

15k just seems so cheap for what the 996 can do, and 9-11k sounds sickeningly cheap. Thats cheaper than a 5th gen corvette.

Last edited by arachnyd; 06-29-2017 at 09:04 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:19 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 149 Posts

You have 9 cars and one is a Ferrari.

Why even question the book value, blah blah blah over a 5k price difference? If you love it and it checks out, offer a lower price. If they say no, buy it anyway, unless you like combing through classifieds all the time and are willing to wait a while longer.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:39 PM
arachnyd
Advanced

Originally Posted by Woodman71
Why even question the book value, blah blah blah over a 5k price difference?
I stopped buying drinks at my local IGA because the price of Mello Yello went from $0.99 to $1.39 in one day.

And that is a 40 cent price difference. this is 1,200,000% more!

I hate to overpay if its just a matter of "waiting" for another one to come across my desk, especially in light of the ultra-high mileage. I've never owned a car that high of mileage, but I know there are others on here with that much.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:47 PM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Based on mileage and equipment, I'm pretty sure that the replacement cost of my car is far above its book value. I've been meaning to move my 996 over to a defined value insurance policy, because I'm not even sure anymore what the relationship is between 996 "book value" and what it actually costs to buy a 996 and sort it out to a reasonable daily-driver standard.

My assumption lately -- and I could be entirely wrong -- is that the latter cost is around $20k. Maybe a little more, maybe a little less ... but I see $20k cars that have had consistent maintenance and the usual fixes and upgrades. And $12k cars that haven't.

So I don't really have any advice, except to posit that the buy-in cost on a 996 is more or less a fixed amount, assuming that you're looking at either a) a decent driver that has been well maintained, or b) a basically sound car that needs some maintenance, fixes, and upgrades. The low mileage garage queen cars will cost more. So, eventually, will the lowball specials and the hidden-issue train wrecks.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:52 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 90 Posts

Forgot about book values. Pay what it's worth to you.

Nice examples will continue to diverge from KBB, etc., values, not converge on them. I think you probably still have a few years for N/A 996's to be a good buy, though, so just wait for one you want.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:04 PM
Turbojamie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by arachnyd
I found a 996 I really really like. Its higher mileage than I want (into the 100s), but its a really rare color combo, with the exact option package, on the precise look I love. its also a hard top convertible.

I'm looking for a fun car thats relatively repairable. I have a ferrari now and its not the cost that gets me, its that I have to pay $600 for a transport vehicle and wait three weeks any time I need service. That means I NEVER seem to have it when I want it. Some stupid roof sensor goes out and I'm off the road for a month.

I also have a Porsche Cayenne as DD for my wife, and I've been very pleased with it. My shop has all the Porsche computer equipment which is awesome and works on a lot of porsches.

I was fine with the price, but then I look at book value and book value is way under price. Book value seems to suggest an early 996 is under 10 grand???

I don't see a lot at those low price points in practice, bt maybe its just a bad time to buy.

So my question is:

Should I say "Screw the book value" and pick it up if it checks out, or is around 15k way over price?
Secondly, should I accept a 996 in the 120s mileage wise, or should I get a low mileage? I've been watching PCA and listings and haven't seen any that match what I'm looking for precisely, but I can hold out or ultimately settle somewhere else. Theres a lot of good low mileage ones, just not in the look I want.

My use is mainly to just have fun- drive around town occaisonally, go to PCA events, fun track days and autoX occasionally. I'd like to hold onto it for a few years, but it will be in a fleet of 9 cars so won't be driven all the time.

I also really like the look of the 996. I know some people have said "no the 996 is evil" but I like it. I'm waiting on receipts for IMS, but would probably do that if its not already done.

15k just seems so cheap for what the 996 can do, and 9-11k sounds sickeningly cheap. Thats cheaper than a 5th gen corvette.
If you have Ferrari money I wouldn't be looking at a somewhat problematic 996 N/A car. I would be all over a 997.1 turbo or if I was slumming it a 996 turbo.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:59 PM
arachnyd
Advanced

Originally Posted by Woodman71
You have 9 cars and one is a Ferrari.

Why even question the book value, blah blah blah over a 5k price difference? If you love it and it checks out, offer a lower price. If they say no, buy it anyway, unless you like combing through classifieds all the time and are willing to wait a while longer.
Originally Posted by Turbojamie
If you have Ferrari money I wouldn't be looking at a somewhat problematic 996 N/A car. I would be all over a 997.1 turbo or if I was slumming it a 996 turbo.
Why is a 996 slumming it? I haven't seen any real benefits of the 997 except no IMS bearing and a bit more power. The turbos are awesome, don't get me wrong, but they cost $30k more. Could I afford one? sure, but well... why?

The 996 carrera puts down 300 HP, on a 3000 lb body. Its a blast to drive, and its plenty for what I'm looking for.

The turbo adds cost, complexity, and more things to go wrong.

I'm thinking more "Miata fun" and less "F1 fun". I want a more casual fun car. I could do a 997, but I actually like the 996s a little more AND the 997s don't seem to justify their increased cost.

Maybe the right answer is to just get something like a Fiat 124, but I enjoy PCA events and such. PCA is fairly active around here. I thought about the boxster, but the center hump is too pronounced to drive comfortably, and the suspension tuning + power differential feels much more noticeable.

Maybe I'm missing something though that really makes it worthwhile?
Old 06-29-2017, 11:02 PM
Turbojamie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Why is a 996 slumming it? I haven't seen any real benefits of the 997 except no IMS bearing and a bit more power. The turbos are awesome, don't get me wrong, but they cost $30k more. Could I afford one? sure, but well... why?

The 996 carrera puts down 300 HP, on a 3000 lb body. Its a blast to drive, and its plenty for what I'm looking for.

The turbo adds cost, complexity, and more things to go wrong.

I'm thinking more "Miata fun" and less "F1 fun". I want a more casual fun car. I could do a 997, but I actually like the 996s a little more AND the 997s don't seem to justify their increased cost.

Maybe the right answer is to just get something like a Fiat 124, but I enjoy PCA events and such. PCA is fairly active around here. I thought about the boxster, but the center hump is too pronounced to drive comfortably, and the suspension tuning + power differential feels much more noticeable.

Maybe I'm missing something though that really makes it worthwhile?
Have you considered a cayman for your needs, reason I bring the 997 up is honestly read this board for a while and watch just how many of these engines fail from one way or another. Sure if money isn't really an object its no big deal but on the other hand time is not replaceable. Downtime cannot be recovered period. So that is why I say grab a 997 or a turbo they are well known for being far more reliable. The turbo mezger engine is one of the most reliable engines ever made.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:02 PM
arachnyd
Advanced

Originally Posted by manimal
Forgot about book values. Pay what it's worth to you.

Nice examples will continue to diverge from KBB, etc., values, not converge on them. I think you probably still have a few years for N/A 996's to be a good buy, though, so just wait for one you want.
You have a good point. KBB measures the average sale (which I don't understand how the average sale can be around 10k? where are all these 10k 911s??) but that doesn't pay homage to the condition of a specific car.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:15 PM
arachnyd
Advanced

Have you considered a cayman for your needs, reason I bring the 997 up is honestly read this board for a while and watch just how many of these engines fail from one way or another. Sure if money isn't really an object its no big deal but on the other hand time is not replaceable. Downtime cannot be recovered period. So that is why I say grab a 997 or a turbo they are well known for being far more reliable. The turbo mezger engine is one of the most reliable engines ever made.
Thats a good argument.

I've long been a "Avoid turbos at all costs" person because of the general theory that turbos are the weakest point of most turbocharged engines.

The 996 is a blatant example of where this is flawed, and that is a good argument.

I've been following these cars for many years, and I've been here on rennlist for a few years. Your right. The turbo isn't a liability on this car lit is is for others.

Maybe I should pass on this and keep my eyes open for a Green on Black Hardtop Convertible 911 Turbo with a Manual. Not even sure that exists period, but I'm going to start looking. I find them with the brown interior but my wife and I HATE brown interiors.

I tried to search for no avail- Is it possible to discover the production numbers for a manual transmission Rain Forest Green Metallic with Black Leather Interior in a Cabriolet with a Hard Top? That is the only color/option combination we are interested in, but I've never seen one in a turbo. I have seen two non turbos. I hate to wait for something that doesn't exist, but I've been waiting a few years so whats a few more.

I know its a non turbo, but the attached vehicle - which is the non turbo I'm tempted by right now- is in my top 3 favorite cars of all time for some weird reason I can't explain. Of course give it a widebody and it would be near perfect, but too many of those have the brown interior.
Attached Images  
Old 06-29-2017, 11:38 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 456 Likes on 295 Posts

You have a good point. KBB measures the average sale (which I don't understand how the average sale can be around 10k? where are all these 10k 911s??) but that doesn't pay homage to the condition of a specific car.
I haven't seen any 10K 996s other than salvage title cars and cars with over 200K miles.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:38 AM
Dion Houng-Lee
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got a 99 996 cab for $8500 with 120K miles. Maintained by a good indy but not loved for so lots of minor things to fix. I did drop some $$ into it for the IMS, AOS, Clutch, and RMS but it's close to exactly what I wanted. A project car as I like to turn wrenches.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:57 AM
arachnyd
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dion Houng-Lee
I got a 99 996 cab for $8500 with 120K miles. Maintained by a good indy but not loved for so lots of minor things to fix. I did drop some $$ into it for the IMS, AOS, Clutch, and RMS but it's close to exactly what I wanted. A project car as I like to turn wrenches.
That sounds like a steal! Good buy!
Old 06-30-2017, 02:07 AM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 149 Posts

The turbo mezger engine is one of the most reliable engines ever made.
Yeah, but other expensive things can and do go wrong.

I had a friend who sold his 996TT and two weeks later both turbos ***t the bed. Just bad luck on the buyer's part, as there was no indication anything was wrong with them.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:51 AM
Mike Mullins
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Haggle on the price espcially if its been for sale for a while

But like you , I knew what I wanted,I waited, and bought at a good price, as everything had been taken care of. I also have a fleet of cars and while the Ferrari sounds nice, everyone says the whole experience is a pain in the butt. more downtime and expense than fun, which is the goal.

996 Cabs w Hardtop options are nice, though the hard top storage and on and off become a pain. The top does have a few more maintenance items, but like my Targa, it's usually worth it. I've owed a few Cabriolet's/Roadsters over the years and there's nothing like the open air feeling when driving. If everything checks out , go for it. have some fun with the haggling/buying experience, your in the drivers seat, they want to sell, your a buyer, you call the shots. Be patient and it will come to you.

Mike

Quick Reply: Thoughts and Valuations on 996 Hard Top convertibles (Buying Advice)