Sponsored by:

Did my first DE!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 03:26 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,414 Likes on 816 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
Get your oil level to mid point on the dipstick after sitting overnight and without starting the engine. Your AOS smoking issues will disappear.
afraid not, running lower oil levels didn't help unfortunately, but I appreciate the advice.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:50 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,081 Posts

Originally Posted by pontifex4
Glad to hear you had fun -- regarding tires, you almost certainly built too much pressure while on track.

The best way to prevent that from happening is to come into the pit area from the track once you feel them getting greasy to immediately bleed off hot pressure, then go back out. You likely only need to do this once per day if conditions don't change dramatically.
Step 1 is to check the pressures before going to the track. Then, as suggested above, come in and check pressures when you're done to see how hot it got. If it is too hot, the temps will tell you.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:54 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,081 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
fwiw, I did a track weekend at NJMP. My 99 boxster has the stock 2.5L with a third radiator, 160 thermostat and a new waterpump and the coolant temp would go to 102c and stay there. This is basically me being at WOT the whole lap (not much power in this car).

I think the third radiator is a good idea. It weighs practically nothing, its cheap, and it helps.

Now if I could keep the thing from smoking halfway around the track from the AOS, I'd be in business.
When I read the Hartech documents on these cars, they explain that the same or similar radiator and cooling design was used throughout the entry level small 2.5l engines (220 HP), all the way up trough the 2.7, 3.2, 3.4, and 3.6 engines that make 100 more horsepower. So just adding 746,000 more watts of power to the same cooling capacity is one reason why these higher HP cars can get hot.

You 102C sounds about perfect. I can't think that a 3rd radiator would hurt anything other than the added weight, and seems like a good idea, like the low-temp tstat is as well.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:30 PM
Slakker
Race Car

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

afraid not, running lower oil levels didn't help unfortunately, but I appreciate the advice.
Then keep replacing it until it stops. That's not normal behavior for 996 or Boxsters. 36 track days and I've never had a smoking issue with either of my 996s nor have I seen Spec Boxsters that smoked.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:46 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

that is the current plan.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:52 PM
Slakker
Race Car

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

that is the current plan.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:56 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Im wondering if it eould be possible to run a 997 tandem pump that creates vacuum. then just run a hose from that to the aos. that way no possibility of oil ingestion
Old 06-27-2017, 07:35 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Im wondering if it eould be possible to run a 997 tandem pump that creates vacuum. then just run a hose from that to the aos. that way no possibility of oil ingestion
Quadcammer, I track both the Boxster S and the C4S you see in my sig, AOS smoke comes from start up after a hard run, and only for a second or 2. I have NEVER had smoke during a hot lap. There should be NO smoke while on track. If your Boxster S smokes while running on the track, there is something else wrong. Modifying the AOS won't fix it.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:02 PM
B-ran
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

You guys realize that Porsche programmed this cool little light to come on when it gets too hot by their standards, right? Just make sure you are using an oil that can handle the higher engine temps of track use and you will be fine.

Slakker, I was always under the impression if it got hot enough for that light to come on, you were pretty much at the point where damage was happening. With the thought of cracked heads and such I would poop my pants if I saw that light rear its ugly little head. I'm sure I could be being overly cautious, but with how expensive it is for new engines for these cars I guess I'm just geared to err more on the side of caution.

Quick Reply: Did my first DE!