996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Disappearing oil in 02 C4S

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 02:43 PM
911Syncro
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 98 Posts

I have the opposite problem: the oil level doesn't go down. A 2002, so its the 3.6 engine, 80K miles, have it for a little over 3 months now and put on about 2,500 miles. The oil level is still at the full marker on the dipstick, same as it initially was, and little darker than the original golden color.

I guess that is good news, but thanks very much to everyone who wrote about how the sensor works, and general level oil behavior -- I have more to learn.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:46 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Drive the car hot and leave the car parked overnight and check the stick before firing the engine in the morning. This is the proper way to get a consistent and accurate reading, period.
x2

the guage and the dip stick always say the same for me
Old 06-16-2017, 02:47 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Syncro
I have the opposite problem: the oil level doesn't go down. A 2002, so its the 3.6 engine, 80K miles, have it for a little over 3 months now and put on about 2,500 miles. The oil level is still at the full marker on the dipstick, same as it initially was, and little darker than the original golden color.

I guess that is good news, but thanks very much to everyone who wrote about how the sensor works, and general level oil behavior -- I have more to learn.
It's great, as long as you aren't taking short trips.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:57 AM
DASC4S
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbojamie
So rather than waiting the 10 seconds for the oil level monitor to report you simply ignored it for x amount of time and it was a full 4 low? Kind of irresponsible if you ask me. Hopefully nothing was damaged by the excessively low oil level. The engine will consume "some" oil but they are all over the place as far as how much. For instance my 03 C4S would use 1/2 quart in 5,000 km of driving at the most.
That isn't what I said. I normally don't wait the 45 seconds for the oil level indicator on the dash, because it's 45 seconds on my car. I do check the dipstick. I was merely using that the description of actually waiting for the indicator to display as a lead in to me seeing the low oil and prompting another check of the dipstick. It was not that low the full 4 weeks. Thanks for your editorial opinion about my behavior and actual facts about your oil consumption, since this is a technical forum and not glamour magazine after all.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:15 AM
DASC4S
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
Good idea on voodoo! Now for the issue. You are doing the right thing. You need to establish a baseline for oil consumption versus mileage. Remember the sump/engine contains about 10 QT's of oil. Check your oil level on the dipstick when the engine is stone cold, meaning, like in the morning before you fire it up. Then do this consistently for several days. Fill it back up to full if it drops and note your mileage. That should give you some good baseline data for oil consumption versus mileage.

Depending on the weather temps where you are, going to a 5W could help. You do not want to even begin to think about why the engine consumes to much oil - scored bores, piston rings, valve stems and seats, and so on. What you want to do right now is see how much oil is consumed and whether that is within a tolerable range.

Also note that I said to use the dipstick. The oil level guage is not that accurate, readings can vary depending on a lot of different factors. Use the dipstick for accuracy.

The oil pressure sounds about right, however, the oil pressure sender unit in our cars are notorious for erroneous readings, especially when old. Might consider replacing it.
DBJoe996, thanks. I ordered an LN engineering magnetic oil plug and an oil filter tool to get ready for a change. Looks like I will be changing out the oil a little sooner than planned. I hope to maybe do it tomorrow. I plan on draining and measuring what I get, then filling and checking vs mileage. I don't mind a little oil burn, but if I'm right about how it consumed in a week I may need to invest in Exxon-Mobil. Prior to this I had a Subaru Impreza with a flat-4 boxer engine, which consumed about a quart every 5k mileage, so I'm used to this being normal.

Sadly, I need to need to wrap up some work on an 86 vette (new radiator and spark plugs) that is occupying my garage. My driveway is sloped, way to much to consider jacking on it.

I've seen some of the threads on the oil pressure sender unit, that's unfortunate. I mainly rely on the dipstick, because I am us not patient enough to sit for the f average o45 seconds for the computer to read it. One thing that I am wondering is if I actually have the right one. It's probably unlikely but I've heard it happening where previous owners for some reason put a different one in and then who knows what you are measuring it isn't the right length. I'll see if I can get a picture today and if members can confirm I've got the right one.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:24 AM
DASC4S
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Macster
It is possible to burn 4 quarts of oil in ~300 miles but I would have to believe you would notice the engine smoking. Occassionally I observe a vehicle taking off from a stop light, or just going down the road/freeway and oil smoke trailing behind the vehicle. While it is clear the engine is burning oil I strongly suspect it is not burning 4 quarts in 300 miles.

Right now you do not know for sure just how much oil is in the engine.

My recommendation would be to have the engine oil properly drained and refilled with a known and correct quantity of oil appropriate for your car and at this time the tech would then check the electronic oil level sensor and system is working properly. Ask him to confirm the oil dipstick also reads correctly.

You want to know the engine has the right amount of oil and that both the electronic and dipstick measurement systems are reporting oil levels that are in agreement with each other and just as important in agreement with how much oil is actually in the engine.

Then drive the car as you normally do and keep track of the oil level.

Be very consistent in when and how you check this. The car wants to be very level. A bit up or down at either end can affect my Boxster's oil level reading by 2 bars. With the car tilted sideways the level varies even more.

I check my Boxster's oil both dead cold -- with the car having sat overnight unused -- and fully up to temperature. Often this oil level check is made when I stop and fill up the gas tank. The engine is hot, fully warmed up, and the gas station drive is quite level. After filling the tank the oil level reading count down starts at 5 seconds.

Check the oil level and monitor the change in the level. If you see the level dropping as you add miles then there's something going on. There's not much you can do on your driveway. I'd not bother trying a different oil. Really if the engine is using oil at the rate you suspect (but which I doubt is actually occurring) no oil will help and you don't want to run the wrong oil and possibly damange the engine internals when the heavy oil consumption might not be that serious of a problem, though obviously its cause should be found and fixed ASAP.

If you see the level varying -- this is assuming you use the electronic oil level system -- then what is probably going on is the electronic oil level sensor has suffered a problem (a loop of wire is loose and moves about and this affects oil level reading) -- and this needs to be addressed. Probably by having the oil level sensor replaced.
Thanks Macster. I hope you are right that I'm wrong on the consumption. I hope to be able to change out the oil and filter tomorrow, then begin the monitoring regimen.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:15 AM
Turbojamie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DASC4S
That isn't what I said. I normally don't wait the 45 seconds for the oil level indicator on the dash, because it's 45 seconds on my car. I do check the dipstick. I was merely using that the description of actually waiting for the indicator to display as a lead in to me seeing the low oil and prompting another check of the dipstick. It was not that low the full 4 weeks. Thanks for your editorial opinion about my behavior and actual facts about your oil consumption, since this is a technical forum and not glamour magazine after all.
That is what you said, owned it 1,000 miles finally waited for oil level indicator. No mention of checking dip stick. Remember a lot of car owners are absolutely clueless which you kind of painted yourself out to be on the OP.

Last edited by Turbojamie; 06-17-2017 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:26 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts

DBJoe996, thanks. I ordered an LN engineering magnetic oil plug and an oil filter tool to get ready for a change. Looks like I will be changing out the oil a little sooner than planned. I hope to maybe do it tomorrow. I plan on draining and measuring what I get, then filling and checking vs mileage. I don't mind a little oil burn, but if I'm right about how it consumed in a week I may need to invest in Exxon-Mobil. Prior to this I had a Subaru Impreza with a flat-4 boxer engine, which consumed about a quart every 5k mileage, so I'm used to this being normal.

Sadly, I need to need to wrap up some work on an 86 vette (new radiator and spark plugs) that is occupying my garage. My driveway is sloped, way to much to consider jacking on it.

I've seen some of the threads on the oil pressure sender unit, that's unfortunate. I mainly rely on the dipstick, because I am us not patient enough to sit for the f average o45 seconds for the computer to read it. One thing that I am wondering is if I actually have the right one. It's probably unlikely but I've heard it happening where previous owners for some reason put a different one in and then who knows what you are measuring it isn't the right length. I'll see if I can get a picture today and if members can confirm I've got the right one.
Sounds like a good plan! Especially the magnetic drain plug. Another good thing is to change to the LN Oil Filter adapter with a normal type spin on oil filter w/no bypass.

I have noticed that my oil level guage starts measuring as soon as I turn the ignition to ON, before starting. It reads in about 10 seconds. However, if you do the same thing just after filling up with gas, it says it will take like 20-40 minutes on the countdown clock. I never wait for that one, just fire and move on. Strange behavior indeed.

I know it will take some time to check the oil consumption versus mileage. Interested in hearing what you find out.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:36 AM
DASC4S
Intermediate

Sounds like a good plan! Especially the magnetic drain plug. Another good thing is to change to the LN Oil Filter adapter with a normal type spin on oil filter w/no bypass.

I have noticed that my oil level guage starts measuring as soon as I turn the ignition to ON, before starting. It reads in about 10 seconds. However, if you do the same thing just after filling up with gas, it says it will take like 20-40 minutes on the countdown clock. I never wait for that one, just fire and move on. Strange behavior indeed.

I know it will take some time to check the oil consumption versus mileage. Interested in hearing what you find out.
I've been looking at the LN spin on filter adapter. I saw if for ~$150 on their site last week. Given what I've read about the bypass valve on the OEM filter and canister setup, I'm inclined to go that way. Maybe not this first change, but definitely soon. I prefer to change one thing at a time when troubleshooting or in this case nothing until I'm baselined.

Interesting your oil level gauge is that quick at start up. As I plan to compare it to the dipstick now we will see. I hope the mileage vs consumption does take a while, since that would mean I was mistaken on how much was consumed in one week. If I see multiple quarts disappearing in a week, ugh. On the plus side, a 5 quart bottle of Mobil 1 0W-40 at Walmart (near me anyway) is running $23. At least I think that is a plus.
Old 06-17-2017, 12:54 PM
Volkert
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Confused on your 45 seconds to measure oil level.. Mine does it in 5 seconds? My routine is to get into the car, switch on ignition, then close door and put safety belt. By then it has read the oil level and I start. I have a C2 Mk.1.
The oil level measurement seems consistent and also is confirmed if I use the dipstick.

Last edited by Volkert; 06-17-2017 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-17-2017, 01:30 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

The only time my Boxster oil measurement count down timer reads that it will take on the order of 20 to 40 minutes for a reading is when I start the engine cold then drive just a short distance then turn off the engine as I sometimes -- but not often -- do when I leave the house for work but realize I need to stop at the convenience store just a couple of blocks from my house.

When after just a minute or two in the store and I return to the car I seldom bother to even note how long the oil level check will take because I know it would take minutes and the occasional time I bother to note the time sure enough it is minutes, sometimes over 50 minutes if the ambient temperature is pretty low.

Now what I think is strange is occasionally when I get back in the car and turn on the key and just out of habit glance at the count down timer just before starting the engine the count time timer is at 5 seconds. Because I know the engine didn't get up to temperature in the 2+ block drive from my house to the store I don't bother to wait even 5 seconds for the reading as I know it will not reflect reality. There apppears to be a "bug" in the DME oil level timer management code.

But at all other times after the car has sat for hours overnight or for just a few minutes after being parked with the engine shut off after being fully up to temperature -- by this I mean the coolant temperature gage needle has been at the "180" hash mark for minutes -- the count time timer reads just 5 seconds and if I chose to wait the 5 seconds -- and often I do as by habit I turn on the key then while the timer counts down fasten my seal belt -- the reading is as I expect. That is because I check the oil level frequently and over the miles I see the oil level gradually fall as the engine consumes a bit of oil.

The only time I see a radical change in the level is if I bother to check the oil level with the car not very level. I don't do this often, the opportunity doens't present itself often, but I do it just to note how being out of level can and does affect the reading.

While the Boxster has a dipstick I never use it. I abhor the dipstick and when I had my Golf TDi -- bought shortly after I bought my Boxster -- I found having to use the dipstick to check the oil level a real chore. Same with my GTO which came after the VW Golf was sold.

The Boxster's electronic oil level measurement system totally spoiled me and has put me off using a dipstick even again.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:17 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Volkert
Confused on your 45 seconds to measure oil level.. Mine does it in 5 seconds? My routine is to get into the car, switch on ignition, then close door and put safety belt. By then it has read the oil level and I start. I have a C2 Mk.1.
Same here. But I have the same car, mk1. I have seen a 45-second timer before, but I don't really want to wait for that one. I think that timer is after an engine re-start while hot. If it's an engine re-start while cold, the timer countdown can be really high, many minutes long - I think I've seen as high as 59 minutes. I trust none of these except for the one that the manual indicates is proper: 5-second cold start after sitting a long time, and the hot refuel re-start.

Im glad our cars have dipsticks
Old 06-17-2017, 08:24 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
Same here. But I have the same car, mk1. I have seen a 45-second timer before, but I don't really want to wait for that one. I think that timer is after an engine re-start while hot. If it's an engine re-start while cold, the timer countdown can be really high, many minutes long - I think I've seen as high as 59 minutes. I trust none of these except for the one that the manual indicates is proper: 5-second cold start after sitting a long time, and the hot refuel re-start.

Im glad our cars have dipsticks
It's so strange different cars have different times on this check.

Mine takes 5 - 6 seconds, but after fueling it's a 5 minute countdown, I believe. 1999 model.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:00 PM
_LPPL_
Cruisin'

Using a more expensive 5w40 like Motul or DT40 reduced oil consumption in my 996
Old 06-19-2017, 10:21 AM
DASC4S
Intermediate

UPDATE 6-18-2017
1) I added 1.5 quarts of Mobil 1 0W-40. This morning at a cold start, later fully warmed up after filling up with gas, and 6 hours after last driving it the dipstick and electronic meter both read full. Car continues to drive well and sounds good as far as I can tell.
2) I did a cursory check on the AOS by removing the oil fill cap. I don't yet have any type of manometer. With the engine fully warmed up and at idle, the cap came off without much effort. There was definitely a vacuum. Covering it with my hand it not did not alter the idle at all. With the engine sitting for 6 hours and then starting it and repeating this test there was about the same vacuum (simply qualitatively determined by how much I felt pulling on my hand, so not quantitatively) but with my hand off the filler tube so it was open the idle got rough. Not to the point it stalled but definitely changed. The coolant tank is roughly just under full, as it has been since the indy shop topped it off 3 weeks ago during an inspection. Still the only smoke I see is when starting a cold engine after it was last run and shut down cold (as in I ran it to move it around the driveway). There is no noticeable smoke during driving or starting the engine while warm or if it was last shut down warm after a drive. In parallel to tracking my oil consumption I'm going to build/buy a manometer to quantify the vacuum. Since the AOS seems to fail at a high rate and is somewhat time consuming to replace it seems helpful to measure this.

Is any change in idle indicative of an AOS failure?

Next steps this week:
a) Will continue to monitor gas mileage, oil consumption vs mileage, coolant level, and amount of soot on tailpipes (I wiped these clean to provide a baseline) over the next 2-3 weeks.
b) I expect to be able to change both the oil and filter later this week. At this point I'll also install the the magnetic oil plug I ordered.
c) Build/buy a manometer and quantify the vacuum pressure.

Quick Reply: Disappearing oil in 02 C4S