Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Help??! convertible rear windows won't go up??

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 01:45 AM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Help??! convertible rear windows won't go up??

Just put my hardtop back on the convertible and all is good, except the damn rear windows won't go back up.

I checked online and the manual and there is no obvious way to raise them??

What am I missing???
Old 06-13-2017, 02:01 AM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

help! I'd really like to fill these holes with window before I go to bed and find racoons in my car. I've googled and search but to no avail, what am I missing? windows won't go up...
Old 06-13-2017, 02:04 AM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I assume they were working before you put it on. Take it back off and try the windows. If they work, it must be your installation of the top. If they don't work, check for fuses and relays. Put the top back on and check make sure it is lined up correctly. Since you are in calif., why are you putting the top on now? Even in winter we don't get enough rain to justify it.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:07 AM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Don't want to get into my vacation plans right now and my housing situation, the windows worked fine using the convt. top but I have to put the hard top on now

*how* do the windows go up? I press the window button or the convertible top button?

The convert top button is essentially dead since I installed the hardtop like its disabled
Old 06-13-2017, 02:13 AM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

I tried again popping off the two latches at the back, screwed them back down again, everything is lined up perfect but nothing.

What button do I press to raise the rear windows? anyone know? why doesn't the manual or any of the online youtube videos mention this? weird
Old 06-13-2017, 02:22 AM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Tried again, unlatched and latched and still nothing. I don't even know what button I'm supposed to press to raise the windows, I assume once the hardtop is on the convertible button is disabled
Old 06-13-2017, 02:39 AM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Tried again lifting the top up and re-attaching. Still won't work and I don't know if I use the window buttons or the convert. top button.

This is why No.1 marketing requirement for products always needs to be "must be easy to use"

Old 06-13-2017, 03:10 AM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Default Guess I'm ghetto for a while...

Hope I don't have to leave the car like this for 3 weeks
Attached Images  
Old 06-13-2017, 05:03 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

The rear windows should operate by pushing the two rear buttons on the center console. You probably already know that fact. Have you tried holding the key in the drivers door turning and holding it to the right for 30 seconds? That may help the center console buttons to work the windows. If not, then it must be something like the top is not securely seated by turning the allen wrench in the rear window shelf where the top slots into. The first thing to check is the fuse which controls the action of the rear windows. You can find the fuse location by reading your little fold over white fuse position pamphlet. Good luck.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:18 AM
TomR9964S
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you checked to make sure the button where the center latch (above the rearview mirror) is depressed? That is one of the cab tricks with the top down you can press that button and raise the rear windows.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:17 AM
Tdream1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It most likely is caused by the microswitch with the front latch. Are you sure you seated the 2 tabs on the front of the roof, first? The roof must be installed front first and then secured in the back. The rear windows will not go up without the front microswitch depressed by correctly installing and latching the front first.
The following users liked this post:
YaShawn (11-07-2023)
Old 06-13-2017, 09:22 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,724 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by TomR9964S
Have you checked to make sure the button where the center latch (above the rearview mirror) is depressed? That is one of the cab tricks with the top down you can press that button and raise the rear windows.
This.
The following users liked this post:
JasonRausch (09-01-2023)
Old 06-13-2017, 11:45 AM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

I win dumb a$$ of the year award! I didn't see the two extra buttons to raise the windows...this is what I get for doing stuff at night when I'm tired..

I can't believe I didn't see that...

The windows are good now. thanks everyone
Old 06-13-2017, 12:49 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris(MA)
I win dumb a$$ of the year award! I didn't see the two extra buttons to raise the windows...this is what I get for doing stuff at night when I'm tired..

I can't believe I didn't see that...

The windows are good now. thanks everyone
Ahh, it feels good to hand off the dumba** of the year award to you, after I spent 2 days thinking my rim was cracked and leaking air when it was just a nail in the tire I couldn't see...
Old 06-13-2017, 01:47 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Woodman71
Ahh, it feels good to hand off the dumba** of the year award to you, after I spent 2 days thinking my rim was cracked and leaking air when it was just a nail in the tire I couldn't see...
Haha, yeah I accept the award graciously...I deserve it!!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Help??! convertible rear windows won't go up??