Sponsored by:

Be honest, what was your 996 folly?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 02:05 PM
thebowl
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
While installing Porsche crest valve stem caps it is highly recommended that you align your wheel caps to point to the valve stem, otherwise everyone will know you know nothing about owning a Porsche.
Does this matter only if you have the stem caps, or is it always the case with wheel caps? If the latter, it becomes my first real folly (apart from not swapping out my IMSB before it grenaded).
Old 05-17-2017, 02:21 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Her name was Chloe. She seemed nice.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:29 PM
dedens
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't have any regrets but Mission Creep got the best of me:

1. New tires and wheels - Big shout out to Eli @ WD
2. Had the calipers refinished
3. Wanted to 'freshen up ' the suspension. Bought the ROW kit from Carnewal then thought...what the hell...might as well replace all the bushings (upper and lower control arms)
4. Replaced the black bumperettes with colored ones from bumper plugs
5. New exhaust (FisterD/Topgear/Fabspeed)
6. LED Depo tail lights
7. The list continues...

Very happy with the end result but the wife not so much with the bank account
Old 05-17-2017, 05:34 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodman71
Porsche crest valve stem caps.
same. my mom got em for me. can't say no to mom
Old 05-18-2017, 03:20 AM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
Bought a 996, couldn't stop talking about 993s and 997s.
Sold the 996 and bought 997 and talked about how the 996 was better.
Sold the 997 and bought a GTI and blissfully disappeared for a bit
Reappeared and bought a 996.
For no apparent reason he sold the 996 and bought another 997.
Now he complains about the lack of a spare tire.

Complete with lots of commentary on why whichever one he did have was somehow better than the other and making outrageous claims about the things like the 996 Tip being as good as the 997.2 PDK.

He can be funny, but good lord he is tedious.
You have me selling and buying more Porsches than was the case.

Bought 2003 996. Ten months later I injured my ankle and found shifting difficult. On an impulse bought the 997 S with tip. Within four days tried to unwind the sale because I missed the 996 and didn't like the 997. Couldn't undo the deal...and three months later I sold the 997. After giving everything some thought I decided that at my age the tiptronic made sense and I searched for another 996 with one. Found it and bought it. On April Fools day I stated I sold the 996 and bought another 997...but that was April Fools day...so maybe I fooled you. End of story.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:19 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,169 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by johnireland
You have me selling and buying more Porsches than was the case.

Bought 2003 996. Ten months later I injured my ankle and found shifting difficult. On an impulse bought the 997 S with tip. Within four days tried to unwind the sale because I missed the 996 and didn't like the 997. Couldn't undo the deal...and three months later I sold the 997. After giving everything some thought I decided that at my age the tiptronic made sense and I searched for another 996 with one. Found it and bought it. On April Fools day I stated I sold the 996 and bought another 997...but that was April Fools day...so maybe I fooled you. End of story.
It makes so much more sense when stated like ^that^...But what kind of watch ⌚️ do you wear while driving it?
Old 05-18-2017, 08:20 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Called me fooled then, but it obviously fits your pattern...
Old 05-18-2017, 09:08 PM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine was probably Torque Solutions semi-solid engine mounts. Undoubtedly a fine product, but maybe not in an aging convertible. Good thing my dental insurance was paid up, because vibration in certain RPM ranges was threatening a few fillings. I went back to the OEM mounts and all is well -- except for a couple expensive paperweights lying around my garage someplace.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:15 AM
VivG
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Buying a second one before selling the first.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:57 AM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dporto
It makes so much more sense when stated like ^that^...But what kind of watch ⌚️ do you wear while driving it?
I'm down to just five watches and at one time or another I wear them all. An old quartz analog Eddie Bauer field watch that I found lying in the gutter near where I used to go running. A nice 1960s Omega Constellation that I bought on eBay. An early/mid 1930s LeCoultre DuoPlan from Oslo Norway. And my two Rolexes. The prize is the 1961 18k ref# 1013 with a dial stating it was sold by Serpico Y Laino in Caracas Venezuela. And my usual daily driver is the stainless steel version of the 1013, the 1018...from the late sixties and on a steel Jubilee bracelet. The reasons I kept the quartz Eddie Bauer is because a) the leather strap was so worn I thought someone really enjoyed it and so I decided to continue its life, and b) it is a nice looking watch and was made in France...a nice change from everything being from China.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:46 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,169 Likes on 797 Posts

I'm down to just five watches and at one time or another I wear them all. An old quartz analog Eddie Bauer field watch that I found lying in the gutter near where I used to go running. A nice 1960s Omega Constellation that I bought on eBay. An early/mid 1930s LeCoultre DuoPlan from Oslo Norway. And my two Rolexes. The prize is the 1961 18k ref# 1013 with a dial stating it was sold by Serpico Y Laino in Caracas Venezuela. And my usual daily driver is the stainless steel version of the 1013, the 1018...from the late sixties and on a steel Jubilee bracelet. The reasons I kept the quartz Eddie Bauer is because a) the leather strap was so worn I thought someone really enjoyed it and so I decided to continue its life, and b) it is a nice looking watch and was made in France...a nice change from everything being from China.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:34 PM
Debo18D
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm an Omega man myself. Have 5 of them including the wife's. But love that you appreciate a good timepiece as much as we all appreciate the vehicles we love. Very similar subjects.

Cheers,

D.

Quick Reply: Be honest, what was your 996 folly?