Sponsored by:

Convertible tonneau cover stuck on one side

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 09:21 PM
PeaCar
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible tonneau cover stuck on one side

Before everyone says "use the search". I've actually searched for over a week, and I can't find a thread to cover the predicament I am in.

My tonneau is stuck on one side, so when I try to open the top, the driver's side stays closed and the tonneau twists as the passenger side goes up.

I have gained as much access as I can, and I can see the latch does move, but I imagine the cable/pin drive on the arm is not functioning.

As my body/head is not small enough. how on earth do I gain access to investigate? I can see the rear convertible top seems to be held with cables, do I just pull these off and flip up the back of the top to give access to the folding deck area?

Any tips on what first to try or look? Should I just enlist a helper to pull up on the tonneau as we operate it with the switch?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:41 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts

If I read your post correctly, the search term side flap will yield a solution to your problem. Maybe a bad switch - which you can adjust, or just lube/clean it. Not sure what tonneau is
Old 05-10-2017, 09:42 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Likely a mouse has gotten into the hydraulic system and either chewed through a cable or emptied your hydraulic fluid. Common issue and I recommend trapping over poison.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:32 PM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Not sure what you mean by Tonneau. Is that the soft top of the convertible, or the sheet metal cover that retracts to allow the convertible top to operate?

On this board, the cover is often called the "clamshell". Try searching for that term if that's your issue.
Here's one of many threads on the subject:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-top-part.html
Old 05-11-2017, 08:04 PM
MadIrish
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts

He means the fabric convertible roof.

A tonneau cover is what is used to cover a truck bed or an open roadster to protect cargo and unoccupied areas...

Like these pics
Attached Images   
The following users liked this post:
DuckieRS (10-17-2023)
Old 06-29-2017, 03:01 PM
PeaCar
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just an update to anybody who encounters this issue:

After trying to get my head in the impossibly small space, I gave up and took the car to a Porsche Indy. They found the issue which was a broken mount for one of the pins on the cable drive. They were able to repair it/upgrade to all metal pieces. Total cost was just under $600. I think I got lucky.

Quick Reply: Convertible tonneau cover stuck on one side