Sponsored by:

motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 06:37 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by sheatley
How do you know when to stop tightening them? It seems the more you jack up the engine, the more you can tighten,
Did you make sure to align the squared post in the square hole? You will notice the square section up near the rubber on the mount post. It must align with the square hole in order to keep the mount from just twisting the rubber.

You will have to jack the engine some to take up the droop from the old mounts, but the nut should come up tight.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:50 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Pic of the square section looking from top.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:30 AM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,234 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by JTT
exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:23 AM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 774 Likes on 496 Posts

How do you know when to stop tightening them? It seems the more you jack up the engine, the more you can tighten,
Have not done mine, yet. Parts in garage but the square part below the rubber fits flush into the engine cross bar so it tightens up against that.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:05 AM
sheatley
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks JTT. I did not realize there was that square part. I looked and both rubber parts are not twisted, and fit snug so I would be surprised if they did not automatically align and the mount the can only fit one way. Having said that, my point is the higher one jacks up the engine, the more bolt sticks out. So the real question is how high to jack up the engine.
I adjusted the engine so the new mounts have the same amount of bolt coming thru the nut when tightened. I figured the original engine height when it came out of the factory should be the correct height.
Hope I am not missing something here.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:16 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Just do it. Not expensive even if you take it to the shop, but the results are worth it. Smoother ride, smoother shifting and better turning...
Old 04-26-2017, 12:01 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Thanks JTT. I did not realize there was that square part. I looked and both rubber parts are not twisted, and fit snug so I would be surprised if they did not automatically align and the mount the can only fit one way. Having said that, my point is the higher one jacks up the engine, the more bolt sticks out. So the real question is how high to jack up the engine.
I adjusted the engine so the new mounts have the same amount of bolt coming thru the nut when tightened. I figured the original engine height when it came out of the factory should be the correct height.
No, the more you tighten them, more of the bolt will be exposed (the engine hangs on the mount)...
Old 04-26-2017, 01:01 PM
sheatley
Racer

Another thought. As the mounts stretch with time, would a temporary improvement be to lift the engine a bit and retighten?
Old 04-26-2017, 02:12 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Maybe, but it should be noted that these mounts are "fluid filled"... What generally happen over time is that the fluid leaks out through the cracked/torn rubber. Once this happens, the mount loses its ability to buffer engine vibration and movement. They also sag - lending to the visual cue of drooping tailpipes...
Old 04-26-2017, 02:44 PM
sheatley
Racer

Got it, thanks
Old 04-26-2017, 09:09 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Something is missing/wrong. You should not be able to keep tightening those nuts and pulling the stud through. They should come up tight, just like they were a standard bolt (with is essentially what they are, only top of the bolt is a bock of rubber) (something like 63 ftlbs in fact). Are you working with new mounts? I'd pull them back out and check that square section (it can misalign) and that the rubber isn't torn or twisted.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:40 PM
sheatley
Racer

They tighten, but where they tighten up the bolt depends how much they engine is jacked up.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:54 PM
Oregoncoaststi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JTT
Something is missing/wrong. You should not be able to keep tightening those nuts and pulling the stud through. They should come up tight, just like they were a standard bolt (with is essentially what they are, only top of the bolt is a bock of rubber) (something like 63 ftlbs in fact). Are you working with new mounts? I'd pull them back out and check that square section (it can misalign) and that the rubber isn't torn or twisted.
^ This, the mount will tighten up to the engine brace crossbar so there is no adjustment on the height
Old 04-27-2017, 12:08 AM
sheatley
Racer

Checked them and they were seated correctly but not fully torqued down. Not sure I understand it fullu, the distance to the mounts, but they did tighten regardless of jacking the engine. Thanks all.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:21 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Made light years difference changing the mount in my Boxste'. Here's what the old one looked like:

Y

Last edited by Cuda911; 04-27-2017 at 06:39 AM.

Quick Reply: motor mounts