Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Engine mount, genuine Porsche or aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 05:35 PM
dkraige
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
No issues with the Rein so far.
Ditto. But I've only got maybe 5k miles on mine over a year or so.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:12 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Device2
I've replaced my original Porsche mounts with Rein branded ones and the two parts are identical except that one comes with the Porsche part number & Brand decal. Oh and the royalties of the Porsche tax.
Are you sure those Rein mounts are hydraulic? I know the aftermarket division makes both rubber filled and hydraulic with the cheaper version being rubber filled, like Porsche mounts sold before 1989.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:22 PM
Device2
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

JasonAndreas, I actually never got around to taking the new Rein engine mounts apart to confirm. But come replacement time a few years down the road it would be a nice fun thing to do, but for now perhaps another Rennlister that has used the Rein part and is replacing a set can do that for us and let us all know. Specially if the aftermarket realm has a lot of these supposed cheaper alternatives to the proprietary Porsche Brand fluid filled mounts.

From what I understand is that Rein is a distributor that purchases parts from Original equipment manufacture like Corteco or any of their subcontracted subsidiary. They then repackage the product due to Porsche proprietary controls. You do know that Porsche is not in the parts manufacturing business but contracts other manufactures to make parts for them and then the manufacture of those parts adds the Porsche label & Part number on the end product, in most cases it's the same part minus the Porsche label.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:32 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Corteco (the aftermarket division of Freudenberg which is the OE producer for the Porsche 964/993/996 mounts) sells two different styles of engine mounts for the 993 and 996 (REIN is just a North American based importer/distributor, not unlike Worldpac) . The cheaper are rubber/elastomer filled, exactly like the engine mounts used prior to 1989 and very similar to what people are selling here as RS (URO has a horrible trainwreck of a rightfully deserved reputation) with a slight change in durometer. In the past some places (Pelican Parts, etc.) have marketed them as 993C4 mounts. I was just trying to point out that they are not at all the same as repackaged and relabeled Porsche mounts. They will definitely be better than a set of mounts that have leaked out but not close to the original style hydraulic mounts.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:01 PM
beetleything
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Last edited by beetleything; 03-05-2017 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:58 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

I installed Rein brand box mounts yesterday. Compared them to the old, and they are identical, down to the same casting flash on the Al housing. I can't see inside, but they work perfect.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:11 AM
MiataR
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 10 Posts

Finally got a chance to drive the care with the Wevo semi-solid mounts. So far I don't notice any significant increase in NVH from the engine. There's an urgency and "tightness" to the car that seems new, but it's difficult to say if this behavior is due to the mounts or other changes I made to the car at the same time.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:27 PM
jandackson
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 95 Posts

I know that the tell-tale sign of worn mounts is sagging exhaust tips, but how far do they sag? Or, asked a different way, where should the tips sit when the mounts are new?
Old 03-06-2017, 02:47 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

Mine are uneven, despite brand new mounts. My left side had a 1.5" gap and right was 1" BEFORE replacing them. Afterwards the right side was 3/4" and I don't have a measurement from the left side.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:10 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by charlieaf92
Mine are uneven, despite brand new mounts. My left side had a 1.5" gap and right was 1" BEFORE replacing them. Afterwards the right side was 3/4" and I don't have a measurement from the left side.
At the top of the long bolt shank there is a square shoulder. This square shoulder rides inside of a square cut out in that large rear crossbeam. If the square shoulder isn't seated in the cut out, you can tighten the mount but it will still be dropped down as you note. Get a jack on the oil pan with a block of wood to distribute the load, back off the big nut, and use a flashlight to shine up in the shank area. See if you can verify that the square shoulder has seated inside the crossbeam fully. Only takes a short time with an 18mm deep socket and ext. Note; support the car on stands before jacking on the oil pan wood insert to hold the engine up.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:37 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by docmirror
At the top of the long bolt shank there is a square shoulder. This square shoulder rides inside of a square cut out in that large rear crossbeam. If the square shoulder isn't seated in the cut out, you can tighten the mount but it will still be dropped down as you note. Get a jack on the oil pan with a block of wood to distribute the load, back off the big nut, and use a flashlight to shine up in the shank area. See if you can verify that the square shoulder has seated inside the crossbeam fully. Only takes a short time with an 18mm deep socket and ext. Note; support the car on stands before jacking on the oil pan wood insert to hold the engine up.
Great info! I didn't realize that. The car is on jack stands at the moment so I'll check it out.

Thanks
Charlie
Old 03-07-2017, 05:28 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

Are there any other signs?

My exhaust tips seem fine but my passenger seat occasionally vibrates and my previous owner documentation notes that one engine mount was torn but doesn't mention a replacement. That was quite a few years ago so not sure if it was replaced under their ownership.

I'​​m assuming that if it was left this long I would have noticed it possibly leaking fluid?

Quite unsure of what to go with, fair bit of positive feedback on the wevo as well as the rss.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:36 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by dan_189
Are there any other signs?.
Crawl up under car and measure droop at the actual mount.

Old

New

Old and new on bench. No fluid leaks, but clearly sacked.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:37 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

Perfect thanks JTT
Old 03-07-2017, 07:10 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

Glad it helps Dan. I had same questions, with no answers, so took bull by horns as it were.

Quick Reply: Engine mount, genuine Porsche or aftermarket?