996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Subwoofer ideas for a C2 coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 06:45 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

I read ditto's post a year or so ago.....bought a bunch of parts to upgrade my stereo and then started a kitchen remodel which took all of last year.

Now I'm going to pull the parts out and upgrade in the upcoming month or two. Here's my parts and thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...o-upgrade.html
Old 04-06-2017, 08:06 PM
Pseudo Nim
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Waterloo
I read ditto's post a year or so ago.....bought a bunch of parts to upgrade my stereo and then started a kitchen remodel which took all of last year.

Now I'm going to pull the parts out and upgrade in the upcoming month or two. Here's my parts and thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...o-upgrade.html
Ooh. I may want this? Are you going to sell these, or?
Old 04-06-2017, 09:07 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Ooh. I may want this? Are you going to sell these, or?
Not going to sell them.....just getting around to putting them in. The amp is nice and compact and has a high output. I'll post pictures of my install as I do it.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:41 PM
Pseudo Nim
Instructor

Not going to sell them.....just getting around to putting them in. The amp is nice and compact and has a high output. I'll post pictures of my install as I do it.
Oops, misread your post.

Please do post pics of the install. That amp looks very compact, I might actually consider getting that to avoid losing any space elsewhere in the car.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:39 AM
ditto
Racer

For anyone interested, I replaced my dash speakers using Polk Audio DB461P 4-by-6-Inch Coaxial Plate-Style Speakers. This work required a higher skill level. I harvested the individual speakers from the plates and installed them into the Porsche receptacles. It required some careful cutting as well as epoxying. The replacement system is a huge improvement over what was there.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:55 PM
Tonger
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Subwoofer enclosure and 8" Focal Sub

One way of preserving rear legroom and having a sub is to place a custom subwoofer enclosure in the location where the 996 cabs had one in the passenger footwell.

http://www.billjehle.com/PORSCHE/console.html

This is sealed and takes an 8" subwoofer.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-Nqg6oT...***-21-V2.html

I bought the 996 console subwoofer box and the above Focal 8" sub for my '02 996 cab which got totaled by a 17 year old kid pulling out in front of me. I didn't get to install the parts but would be willing to sell them for a good package deal.

The objective of this sealed box and Focal sub is to try to have bass that is very tight and responsive rather than boomy.

Good luck!
Old 04-09-2017, 07:08 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 85 Posts

I just put the Tang 5 1/4 "subs" in the doors. Sounds great in the garage, pretty weak on the road with the car running.

I put one of these in my other car, and sounds great:
Amazon Amazon
Now I'm thinking about ditching the Tangs and adding one of these in the 996.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:54 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vitaminC
I just put the Tang 5 1/4 "subs" in the doors. Sounds great in the garage, pretty weak on the road with the car running.

I put one of these in my other car, and sounds great:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BO8O9XQ
Now I'm thinking about ditching the Tangs and adding one of these in the 996.
I have one of those amps in my car presently, it's better than nothing....but I'm taking it out.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:56 PM
Pseudo Nim
Instructor

I have one of those amps in my car presently, it's better than nothing....but I'm taking it out.
What do you dislike about it? I'm thinking even if I do add a sub to the car, I'm still going to need to move the speakers off to a dedicated amp - it seems daft to just run the subwoofer out to a small mono amp to power the sub - I might as well do it "properly". I need something small, though, and I was thinking something like that unit...
Old 04-10-2017, 09:53 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

It just doesn't pack the punch I would like. I did a stereo upgrade on my daughter's car a few years back with a 10" sub in a sealed box that I made with four of the JBL door speakers I posted in my cross post and OMG, what a stereo. Had a big amp.

Downside on my install is that I will be using the factory head unit.

I will have the amp and the piggy back wiring harness that plugs between the factory harness and the radio, so no wiring changes required when I take it out, would be happy to sell it cheap. I can't remember what I paid for it....but something like $125 plus shipping.

It has a wiring harness that runs through the center console, you unplug the harness at the back of the radio, put this inbetween and also has the bass control **** which is in the armrest cubby. I probably posted pictures of it.....let me see if I did.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:09 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Okay...here is what I have, it will be available for sale once I do the upgrade, which shouldn't be too far out:

The Kenwood powered amp, it sits on the floor behind the passenger seat, I don't have it mounted.

On the bottom left there is a plug and play adapter that plugs into where the yellow plug on the wiring harness for the radio goes into the radio. It takes the line level out and (1) passes it onto the amp in the frunk and (2) it converts the low pass bass frequency to the RCA outputs that feed the amp.

To the right of that is the power adapter for the amp, it's just a plug and play and then you can see the yellow wire that is adjacent to the speaker, it's just a tap that provides power to the amp.

RCA cables that feed the amp from the head unit to the amp.

A cross over control for the bass, I have it in the armrest so you can control the amp.

And then the wiring harness for amp, it brings the power into the unit via the yellow wire, black is ground, and you plug the RCA cables into the female side.

You just have to take your center console out, or really just loosen it a bit to get the wiring under one side. I taped up the harness from where it goes outside of the center console with hockey tape to the amp, where the wiring is visible.

It's a definite improvement, but I want something better with a new amp and a sealed sub woofer box that is covered with factory carpet.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:48 PM
jaetee
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

In the event you decide to put subs in the doors, be mindful that there are at least two different sized door speaker enclosures which would have an effect on bass response. I know from dissecting the doors in the '00 Cab I sold recently, that it had the smaller of the available enclosures. Judging from the better low-frequency sound quality I am hearing from the stock amp and speakers in the Millennium Edition coupe I bought to replace the cab, I'm pretty sure the M.E. must have these larger, and thus more volumous speaker enclosures:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-986-...ZXRdtS&vxp=mtr

If you have no enclosures at all, I recommend getting a pair of these.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:28 PM
GrizzlyHippo
Track Day

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi, sorry o post here but it might be relevant. I'm looking for some help fitting the standard Bose footwell sub into my non-Bose Targa. I'll start a new thread in a minute but I need to make 3 posts first...
Old 06-03-2017, 12:29 PM
GrizzlyHippo
Track Day

Second post
Old 06-03-2017, 12:32 PM
GrizzlyHippo
Track Day

Third post

Quick Reply: Subwoofer ideas for a C2 coupe?