Sponsored by:

Subwoofer ideas for a C2 coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 11:08 PM
Pseudo Nim
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Subwoofer ideas for a C2 coupe?

I made the mistake of buying a 996 with a base sound system (although everything else in the car was great, so maybe it was an OK choice after all), and the absolute absence of bass is starting to get to me. I upgraded the dash and rear speakers to Focals, and it's worlds better, but still an absence of bass, so I'm trying to figure out what to do.

I don't want to install a huge rear shelf subwoofer setup - I use the car to go skiing and I'd prefer to keep most of the space there for the snowboard and ski sets. I also ferry around suitcases and so on, so I don't want an insane setup. It seems like something close to the original Bose was probably the best I'd hope for.

I've looked around but mostly people install pretty serious subs in the back. What are my options for an ultra-slimline install that would just create some bass? (considering I have zero now, any amount would literally be an infinite improvement...)

I thought of maybe installing into the front doors (currently nothing there, as it was a base 4-speaker system) but I suspect the rattle will be awful.

Thanks!
Old 04-04-2017, 11:14 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 117 Posts

My suggestion would be going with the standard setup in the doors if you can source it then if you dont like it you can upgrade those. Would be a good starting point and provide a good platform to upgrade from.

Would your amp support it? I.e. is it a 6 channel or 4 channel amp?
Old 04-04-2017, 11:18 PM
Pseudo Nim
Instructor

Originally Posted by dan_189
My suggestion would be going with the standard setup in the doors if you can source it then if you dont like it you can upgrade those. Would be a good starting point and provide a good platform to upgrade from.

Would your amp support it? I.e. is it a 6 channel or 4 channel amp?
I have no amp right now (powering from the HU) so I'd need to get one - I'd just get something "decent" and throw it in the frunk, I suppose, though I'm not looking forward to the wiring...

When you say "standard setup in the doors" - you're saying switch the door panels for ones that have speaker mounts, put 6.5"s in there and make it into a 6-channel setup, and avoid installing a woofer for the time being?

Won't that still sorely lack bass though? I'm sure it'll help having slightly larger speakers, but if memory serves from past audio installs I've done, 6.5s won't have much of a bass line either.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:32 PM
dan_189
Race Car

I see, having an amp will greatly improve the sound out of your foacals (in my experience) head units can only provide so much power and quality. I'd say get an amp first, redo the wiring to your current speakers as step 1.

Then next step yes standard door panels and 5 1/4" subs on a channel amp (don't forget you can install 2 6.5" door subs one per side) I think that's plenty for a 996 cabin IMO.

Otherwise anywhere else you put the subs you'll be reducing cabin space. Unless you dont use your rear seats then you could put one in its place. Guess you could put 2 in if you wanted!

I'm sure others will chime in with more 996 related experience.

Last edited by dan_189; 04-05-2017 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:47 PM
Pseudo Nim
Instructor

I see, having an amp will greatly improve the sound out of your foacals (in my experience) head units can only provide so much power and quality. I'd say get an amp first, redo the wiring to your current speakers as step 1.

Then next step yes standard door panels and 6.5" subs on a channel amp (don't forget you can install 2 6.5" door subs one per side) I think that's plenty for a 996 cabin IMO.

Otherwise anywhere else you put the subs you'll be reducing cabin space. Unless you dont use your rear seats then you could put one in its place. Guess you could put 2 in if you wanted!

I'm sure others will chime in with more 996 related experience.
Oooh you're saying put *subs* in the doors, not speakers, eh?

That might be a good option indeed! But I'm concerned about rattle. The doors are sort of flimsy already, it seems ...

Definitely can't remove rear seats - have a regular passenger in the back with his mini-Recaro.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:52 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Yep, door subs!

Line them with Dynamat, it fixes everything
Old 04-05-2017, 12:32 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Someone is selling door speakers here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...-part-out.html
Old 04-05-2017, 12:36 AM
Pseudo Nim
Instructor

Someone is selling door speakers here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...-part-out.html
These aren't woofers, though?
Old 04-05-2017, 12:40 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
These aren't woofers, though?
More to use the mounts for your own speakers
Old 04-05-2017, 12:54 AM
Pseudo Nim
Instructor

More to use the mounts for your own speakers
Oh yeah, good point, that does make sense.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:13 AM
gnochi
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cabriolet with Bose has a small sub box on the console side of the passenger footwell. You may want to look into that; there are a few on Ebay for $250-300. IIRC Del Rey Customs also makes a modified unit with a significantly better woofer installed.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:15 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

If you don't mind losing the rear foot well(s), I've seen some nice custom enclosures done there.

Without doing something crazy you're not going to get window rattling bass, but a little 7"er or 2 will give you enough to round out the sound profile nicely in a good enclosure.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:22 AM
Pseudo Nim
Instructor

Originally Posted by gnochi
The cabriolet with Bose has a small sub box on the console side of the passenger footwell. You may want to look into that; there are a few on Ebay for $250-300. IIRC Del Rey Customs also makes a modified unit with a significantly better woofer installed.
Hmm, that could be an interesting option as well! I'll take a look - thanks. Might make wiring easier, too.

Originally Posted by gnat
If you don't mind losing the rear foot well(s), I've seen some nice custom enclosures done there.

Without doing something crazy you're not going to get window rattling bass, but a little 7"er or 2 will give you enough to round out the sound profile nicely in a good enclosure.
Can't lose rear footwells... have a rear passenger who's already sort of beginning to whine that the space is limited, hehe. But yeah definitely not looking for wild bass. Just a bit better sound profile.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:30 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 795 Posts

The stock "door subs" are 5 1/4" not 6.5 ". In addition, they're very shallow - so if you plan on using anything other than the stock speakers (I forget the manufacturer, but it's not a recognizable brand - and they're not very good) plan on doing some modifications... Oh yeah, the stock speakers are also 2 ohm - unless you're using the stock 6 channel amp, this shouldn't make any difference. Good luck
Old 04-05-2017, 08:59 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Originally Posted by dporto
The stock "door subs" are 5 1/4" not 6.5 ". In addition, they're very shallow - so if you plan on using anything other than the stock speakers (I forget the manufacturer, but it's not a recognizable brand - and they're not very good) plan on doing some modifications... Oh yeah, the stock speakers are also 2 ohm - unless you're using the stock 6 channel amp, this shouldn't make any difference. Good luck
Good pickup, 5 1/4 not 6.5. Having two small subs in the doors would be better than not having them.

Anyway the OEM manufacturer is Haes unless the car has the Bose setup.

Quick Reply: Subwoofer ideas for a C2 coupe?