Sponsored by:

996 Millennium Edition Registry/Info

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 02:52 PM
Simonripley
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jaetee
Cool! I have an 8-year old boy, he helped with the name.

Details as to what happened are chronicled here: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...me-cranky.html

Details as to the final list of what's going to be done are still yet to come...

Sucks, but also exciting. Way to put a positive spin on things. Can't wait to hear about it when its all done. Good luck.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:13 PM
'02onthebrain
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmyB
Porsche or pool? Hmm, that's not a hard question to answer. Porsche all day long!
Old 08-24-2017, 04:04 PM
Simonripley
Instructor

Quick question: Has anyone here upgraded the HU in their M/E?
Old 08-25-2017, 03:24 PM
jaetee
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Simonripley
Quick question: Has anyone here upgraded the HU in their M/E?
I ordered one of these for under $15 (free local pickup) so that I can use the tape deck to play music and XM radio from my phone. I figue it's a good cheap way to keep the orignality of the car intact use the phone's features at the same time.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Monster-i...&wl13=&veh=sem
Old 08-25-2017, 04:23 PM
Simonripley
Instructor

Originally Posted by jaetee
I ordered one of these for under $15 (free local pickup) so that I can use the tape deck to play music and XM radio from my phone. I figue it's a good cheap way to keep the orignality of the car intact use the phone's features at the same time.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Monster-i...&wl13=&veh=sem

I got something very similar from Target. It was terrible and I returned it the same day. I also tried the FM transmitter which was ok, but the thing would not stay in the cigarette lighter.

I'm debating between maintaining the originality of the car and wanting to take it out of the stone age. Doesn't help that I'm daily driving it now.
Old 08-26-2017, 02:35 PM
jaetee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Simonripley
I got something very similar from Target. It was terrible and I returned it the same day. I also tried the FM transmitter which was ok, but the thing would not stay in the cigarette lighter.

I'm debating between maintaining the originality of the car and wanting to take it out of the stone age. Doesn't help that I'm daily driving it now.
Consider trying the bluetooth version available from Radio Shack for around $25. I've actually had pretty good luck with cassette adapters in the past. When they sound really bad, it's usually because the deck's head is not making proper contact or has poor azimuth alignment with the contact point in the adapter. Some of the better units have adjustable sensors for fine tuning.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:18 AM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I use an aux cable and an iSimple USB to RCA thing (way cheaper through third party sellers) which I hid behind the head unit. So I have a USB socket spitted to the owners manual clip, and it plays through the "CD" button. Charges your 'phone too, all you need to do is figure out where to put it

I thought about adding a bluetooth receiver but I always charge my phone while I'm in the car anyway, so there's little to be gained.

Before going the above route I had
one of these FM transmitters one of these FM transmitters
, which now lives in the Touareg until I can find the time to add an aux input (probably with bluetooth and phone this time) to that, too. It works pretty well but the sound's not quite as good as a hard-wired solution.And in the 996 it just gets in the way.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:32 AM
oregondave
Banned

Received 160 Likes on 114 Posts

Can someone confirm whether original millennium wheels are hollow spoke?
Old 09-10-2017, 07:43 AM
Jasoncaudill
Track Day

Default Navigation

I know that I would never use Navigation but it is bothering me I can't get it to work. I have correct CD and when I enter address for destination it thinks for a minute... Then says Vehicle off Map.

Is anyone else's Nav in working order; any suggestions?
Old 09-10-2017, 10:24 PM
Simonripley
Instructor

Originally Posted by oregondave
Mine are not hollow spoke.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:44 PM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

Mine works although with 17 year old maps and hardware it's completely useless. I do kinda like it though.

Where are you when you're doing this? Perhaps if you're on a road that didn't exist at the end of the last century it confuses the system?

Originally Posted by Jasoncaudill
I know that I would never use Navigation but it is bothering me I can't get it to work. I have correct CD and when I enter address for destination it thinks for a minute... Then says Vehicle off Map.

Is anyone else's Nav in working order; any suggestions?
Old 09-10-2017, 10:49 PM
Jasoncaudill
Track Day

Default Nav

Good point JimmyB! Thanks for the thought. I tried it a few times but always near my house which was built in 1999. I'll go to Main Street and give it a whirl.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:07 PM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

There's a set on eBay at the moment, with loads of pictures:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/282623877187

Originally Posted by oregondave
Old 09-13-2017, 10:36 AM
jaetee
Rennlist Member

Millennium Edition rims are NOT hollow spokes.

As for the PCM-1 CDs. Does anyone have a copy of the southeastern USA PCM-1 disk and a copy program on their PC?

Any way we can get a few more of these out in circulation, assuming there isn't some crazy copy protection (probably is)?

I'd love to test my Nav, which seems to work... But I only have maps from out west.

Would be willing to trade!
Old 09-14-2017, 09:18 PM
Jasoncaudill
Track Day

Default Nav disk

I have Midwest disk version 2000.1 and would be willing to make copy for someone. I just wish I could find GPS antenna as mine obviously is disconnected because everything works except it won't put ck up satellites.

As for the PCM-1 CDs. Does anyone have a copy of the southeastern USA PCM-1 disk and a copy program on their PC?

Any way we can get a few more of these out in circulation, assuming there isn't some crazy copy protection (probably is)?

I'd love to test my Nav, which seems to work... But I only have maps from out west.

Would be willing to trade! [/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: 996 Millennium Edition Registry/Info