Sponsored by:

which code scanner?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 06:09 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default which code scanner?

I am in the market for a good 996 diagnostic scan tool. What would you guys recommend? I would like one that resets the CEL along with trouble codes, after I repair the fault without me having to disconnect the battery. Disconnecting the battery puts all monitors out of commission until the drive cycles are complete for each monitor. Right now I am once again driving like crazy trying to set the evap system into the READY mode. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:16 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,192 Likes on 762 Posts

Besides Durametric, I have a OBDII handheld scanner I got from AutoZone for like $49. Scans codes, tells you the codes, and erases any codes. Super simple and easy. Takes about 1 minute from the time I plug it in to find any codes and clear them. I leave it in the door pocket for quick checks while on the road. I've also used it on many other cars/trucks.
The following users liked this post:
Ferdinand 996 (08-05-2020)
Old 03-18-2017, 11:06 AM
CarlOrton
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I must have the same scan tool as DBJoe. Just about any scan tool can read codes and clear the CEL. However, clearing codes will cause all the monitor activities to reset as well; you can't reset just one code.

While any tool will report the code, none of them will tell you what the issue is. Except Durametric or other Porsche-specific device. As an example, I had a P1341. All it told me was the code number and some gibberish about being a manufacturer specific code. Of course, Google tells you anything about 1341 that you'd want to know.

Additionally, a generic reader will just report on the OBDII codes. A PIWIS or Durametric can also report on airbag codes, antilock brake codes, seatbelt codes, ad nauseum, as well as reset a maintenance light after an oil change. All in addition to showing real-time engine operating parameters like cam deviation.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:31 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 144 Posts

I have a $29 bluetooth scanner and use TORQUE app on my Android phone. Also have the Durametric.
Old 03-18-2017, 02:11 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
I am in the market for a good 996 diagnostic scan tool. What would you guys recommend? I would like one that resets the CEL along with trouble codes, after I repair the fault without me having to disconnect the battery. Disconnecting the battery puts all monitors out of commission until the drive cycles are complete for each monitor. Right now I am once again driving like crazy trying to set the evap system into the READY mode. Thanks in advance.
My Actron unit has been superb. Bought it back shortly after I bought a '96 Mustang GT. '96 was the 1st year for OBD2.

Paid around $200 for the Actron back then. 4 line LCD display. Read codes. Read pending codes. Clear codes. Read freeze frame data. Check readiness monitor. View data. Log data (about 60 seconds' worth.) Supported triggering some sensor tests.

$200 is a bit of money but the Actron unit has paid for itself many times over. I have used it with my Mustang, Camaro, Boxster, VW Golf TDi, GTO, and Turbo. I have used it with my Dad's Crown Vic and cars of friends and co-workers.

The extra features like being able to run sensor tests has proven useful too.

The Actron and its ilk does not support communicating with anything other than the OBD2 system (DME). No airbag controller communication. No security module communication. Etc.

For more than just OBD2 communication the Durametric is it unless you can locate a PST2 (Porsche System Tester 2) setup. But I believe these will ony "talk" to the older models, the 986/996 cars. And they can be rather expensive to buy.

For the use with the older models and the 987/997 and newer models you need a PIWIS. The genunie Porsche version is probably out of your price range. There are "Chinese" versions one of which a tech used when I had my 2003 996 Turbo in to an indy shop for O2 sensor replacement. The former Porsche tech told me the unit worked pretty good -- as a former Porche tech he was very familiar with the Porsche PIWIS -- but I didn't bother to ask what brand it was.
Old 03-18-2017, 02:29 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 634 Likes on 344 Posts

+1 on the Actron. I have the Pocket Scanner Plus which was about $90.

Hurdi - If you're trying to get the last monitor into ready status for an inspection, check with your state. Most states allow 1 or 2 monitors to be not ready and still pass emissions testing. I just went through that with my Volkswagen. I cleared a code and couldn't get the last monitor into ready status. Finally I went to the inspection station and told them. They said for my year (2004) I could have one monitor not ready. For cars MY 2000 and earlier, 2 not-ready monitors are allowed.
9!!_VA (07-04-2021)
Old 03-18-2017, 02:39 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Waterloo
I have a $29 bluetooth scanner and use TORQUE app on my Android phone. Also have the Durametric.
^This is the best combo for diagnostic purposes because you can mount your cell phone on the windshield and monitor all the sensor reading in real-time. Emission readiness, evap readiness, fuel trims, coolant temp and what not.

If you use an iphone, you get the wifi version scanner and use the OBD fusion app.
FunWithPaul (07-12-2024)
Old 03-18-2017, 04:56 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Details for Ahsai's recommendation I found to share with other iPhone guys:
OBD Fusion - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/obd-...650684932?mt=8
https://www.obdsoftware.net/software/obdfusion
Bluedriver odb2 seems to be the premium choice.
Amazon Amazon

Any other iPhone based suggestions?

Last edited by Schnell Gelb; 03-18-2017 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:08 PM
Montychristo128
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Regarding this, is a Durametric any use for the 996.1, I keep seeing posts suggesting it's garbage for early cars?? Anyone with experience of this, as I'm thinking of investing in one.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:12 PM
gnochi
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the OBD Fusion app ($9.99 on iOS) and the
 LELink Bluetooth reader LELink Bluetooth reader
($35 on Amazon). It won't give me the fault code leading to my ABS warning light being on, but it appropriately diagnosed a O2 sensor fault.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:20 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

The big missing link for Durmetric+ M96 is "Actual Values". Yes you can read them .But where is the list of what those Actual Values should be? The M96 OBD manual is out of print and no clones are available(that I could find) .So you have to beg the experts here to interpret your Actual Values.
The same limitation applies to the OBD2 scanners we are discussing here. Without knowing what the Actual Values should be , it is difficult to use the tool effectively.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:36 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Ok guys I made my decision. I already have a cheapo OBD 11 scanner which is good but does not clear codes or CEL after repair. I decided to go for a small device which plugs into my dash connection. It's an OBD wi fi device which shows fault codes when they happen and is compatible with my iPhone. I bought an app for my iPhone where I can see live data as I drive, on readiness of my monitors and after I repair them can cancel out CEL and the codes. That's really all I need for now. Thanks again for all your input. The plug in and iPhone holder arrive on Monday. Total cost just over $30....
Old 03-18-2017, 06:43 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 543 Likes on 410 Posts

does torque app (free version) show readiness codes or does the bought version?
mercaderfast (04-08-2020)
Old 03-19-2017, 06:24 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Originally Posted by Turbodan
does torque app (free version) show readiness codes or does the bought version?
I don't know on that one. I have the iPhone so needed to buy 'DashCommand'..The free one of Torque only does the Android phone.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:31 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 634 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
Ok guys I made my decision. I already have a cheapo OBD 11 scanner which is good but does not clear codes or CEL after repair. I decided to go for a small device which plugs into my dash connection. It's an OBD wi fi device which shows fault codes when they happen and is compatible with my iPhone. I bought an app for my iPhone where I can see live data as I drive, on readiness of my monitors and after I repair them can cancel out CEL and the codes. That's really all I need for now. Thanks again for all your input. The plug in and iPhone holder arrive on Monday. Total cost just over $30....
Follow these steps so that you'll still be able to use Pandora, Waze, and other Internet-based apps while using the scanner. If you don't, the iPhone will try to access the Internet via WiFi instead of cellular.

Plug the unit in and turn the key on. You don't need to start the engine.
If the unit is not on (lights should be lit), turn it on via the power button.

In iPhone Settings, go to Wifi and select the "V-link" WiFi network.
Select "Static" and enter this info:

IP Address: 192.168.0.11
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Router: 192.168.0.10

This will tell the iPhone not to try to get to the Internet via the V-Link network.
Start the DashCommand app and click "Connect"

Quick Reply: which code scanner?