996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

which code scanner?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 04:02 PM
mario24601
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the Foxwell scanner NT510 give you rev history? I am in process of buying a 996 and it would be great to know how far the engine has been pushed. Thanks.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:06 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by mario24601
Does the Foxwell scanner NT510 give you rev history? I am in process of buying a 996 and it would be great to know how far the engine has been pushed. Thanks.
From what I've read only the Durametric and PIWIS can read over rev data
Old 05-26-2018, 01:08 AM
mario24601
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by dan_189
From what I've read only the Durametric and PIWIS can read over rev data
Thanks!
Old 05-26-2018, 12:27 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts
Default Rent Me Your Durametric Scanner Please

Durametric on it's way...

Last edited by 808Bill; 05-27-2018 at 01:53 AM.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:56 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by dkraige
I use Durametric with a 996.1 I wouldn't say its garbage. It has all the features I'd think you would need; full fault code reading, checking overrevs, monitoring actual values real-time, performing device activations, etc. My only complaint is that it's extraordinarily buggy and unstable. Sometimes I have to open the software or plug/unplug the cable like 10 times before it starts working, and the software crashes pretty routinely during use. I've experienced this on 2 different laptops so I don't think it's the computer's fault.
I use Durametric with a '99 C4 (Motronic 7.2) - Make sure you're using the latest/current update. It should work as soon as it boots up - some of the real time monitoring stuff has caused crashes on mine but never ten times, and I've always gotten it to work. All activations work properly. Since I reset my DME I haven't had any problems and 0 crashes.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:24 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

Edit: This is in response to the question about the foxwell nt-510. The durametric definitely shows overrevs.

This video says it does show overrevs. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-software.html

But it is on a 997. I tried it on my 996 and I do not see any way to get the overrev info.

Last edited by cds72911; 05-26-2018 at 09:48 PM.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:39 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

I’ve used Durametric on my 996.1 and was able to get overrev info.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:47 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

Murphyslaw - I clarified my post. I was answering the question about whether the foxwell unit shows overrevs.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:21 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Just dropping in here - I'm not a 911 owner (yet, I keep being tempted though.. 996's seem to be the performance bargain at the moment)..

I found this thread searching for "DashCommand" - and the search revealed that there are numerous threads all over Rennlist on scanners - and no central repository for them. I'm thinking of asking management to add a "DIY - Diagnostics" forum - and a lot of these threads could be copied over.

Anyway - I found this thread of interest - and in the interests of cross-pollination of knowledge - would suggest reading: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...ble-again.html - that's sorta become the "go to" Porsche scan tool in the Cayenne forum. There was mention of another Launch tool in this thread - the iCarScan is much the same, uses the same sort of Launch software (Launch is a big-*** Chinese company that makes tools and software to scan almost any OBD-II vehicle at the manufacturer's level.)

I've been quite satisfied with iCarScan - I own a Durametric which I haven't plugged in since I bought the iCarScan about 2 years ago. What I don't know about iCarScan is the capabilities it has with other Porsche models. If there is anyone in the NJ shore area with a 996 who might be willing to stop by some afternoon - we could hook it up and find out what it would do for the 996. Just PM me if you're interested.

FWIW - I have no interest in the company making the device except as a user who has been generally satisfied. Support isn't awful - especially since it's coming from China. 24-hour turnaround is the norm apparently, and usually, it's 12 hours that I've experienced, which taking into account the difference in time zones (11 or 12 hours from the east coast) seems quite reasonable.

If you have an interest - feel free to contact me. If not - please ignore this message as I slink quietly from your forum.
The following 2 users liked this post by deilenberger:
kgtace (10-29-2022), mikey123 (10-19-2020)
Old 07-10-2018, 10:49 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

I broke down and purchased the durametric pro a few days ago. I am real curious about over-revs and cam deviations.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:58 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 996 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Just dropping in here - I'm not a 911 owner (yet, I keep being tempted though.. 996's seem to be the performance bargain at the moment)..

I found this thread searching for "DashCommand" - and the search revealed that there are numerous threads all over Rennlist on scanners - and no central repository for them. I'm thinking of asking management to add a "DIY - Diagnostics" forum - and a lot of these threads could be copied over.

Anyway - I found this thread of interest - and in the interests of cross-pollination of knowledge - would suggest reading: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...ble-again.html - that's sorta become the "go to" Porsche scan tool in the Cayenne forum. There was mention of another Launch tool in this thread - the iCarScan is much the same, uses the same sort of Launch software (Launch is a big-*** Chinese company that makes tools and software to scan almost any OBD-II vehicle at the manufacturer's level.)

I've been quite satisfied with iCarScan - I own a Durametric which I haven't plugged in since I bought the iCarScan about 2 years ago. What I don't know about iCarScan is the capabilities it has with other Porsche models. If there is anyone in the NJ shore area with a 996 who might be willing to stop by some afternoon - we could hook it up and find out what it would do for the 996. Just PM me if you're interested.

FWIW - I have no interest in the company making the device except as a user who has been generally satisfied. Support isn't awful - especially since it's coming from China. 24-hour turnaround is the norm apparently, and usually, it's 12 hours that I've experienced, which taking into account the difference in time zones (11 or 12 hours from the east coast) seems quite reasonable.

If you have an interest - feel free to contact me. If not - please ignore this message as I slink quietly from your forum.
I also have the iCarScan, but recently had issues when I completed the software upgrade. I kept getting a communication error between my iPad/iPhone and the tool.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:11 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

I just purchased the TONWON OBDII Bluetooth Scan Tool ELM327 and OBD Fusion (iPhone). I’ll try it out and post my experiences here. I’m really mostly looking for coolant and oil temps.

EDIT: I just received this today and tested it. I am getting coolant temps but not oil temps. But otherwise seems to work quite well.

Last edited by Mike Murphy; 07-12-2018 at 10:41 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:31 PM
911.Forever
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

guys - here is an OBD blog that appears to host nearly every possible diagnostic tester out there:
obd
Here is a link is specific to the Foxwell NT510 for Porsche, which also denotes compatibility for each Porsche model/year (many model/year questions asked here are answered):
Foxwell Compatibility/Functions
I was sifting through this data while trying to hone in on which tool to acquire. Seems the Foxwell NT510 nets solid results for a fair price at ~$150
Does anyone know if spending the extra $100 for the NT520 Pro is worth while? The 520 price bumps up to the Durametric cost. I saw one review where a Rennlister abandoned his Durametric for a Foxwell. Anyway, it seems for all but the dedicated mechanic or racer, the 510 should suffice. Thoughts?
Old 08-03-2018, 03:17 AM
z064ddle
Track Day

I just bought the NT520 and it's a great unit for the price ($160). It came pre-installed with the Porsche software. While I can't speak for any other model Porsche, it works great for my 955 (06 Cayenne S). I can activate and test things such as head lights, secondary air pump, radiator fans,....etc. It does have coding capability and clear Maintenance Interval warning lights. It does live data and much more. I only had it for 1 day, so I haven't had a chance to go into the coding feature yet.
I was torn between the Durametric, IcarScan, and the Foxwell. I had been reading and did lots of research for the past few months and had decided to go with the Foxwell due to its standalone capability. I do not want to use an additional device to run the diagnostic (just imagine what those devices will look like after a few days working on the engine the run diagnostic). The durametric, you have to use a laptop. The IcarScan, you'll have to use a Android or iOS device to run. The Foxwell does pretty much all the functions that the other 2 can do and it is a standalone unit. From what I gather, not all features will be supported on all models. Please do some readings and research and get the one that works best for your model.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:20 AM
z064ddle
Track Day

Originally Posted by 911.Forever
Does anyone know if spending the extra $100 for the NT520 Pro is worth while? The 520 price bumps up to the Durametric cost. I saw one review where a Rennlister abandoned his Durametric for a Foxwell. Anyway, it seems for all but the dedicated mechanic or racer, the 510 should suffice. Thoughts?
The price for the NT520 is only $10 more than the NT510. I just bought one for $160.

Quick Reply: which code scanner?