Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

nor Indy or dealership could fix it I need you guys help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 11:27 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

I know whats wrong with it.. Throw it on a truck and ship it on down. If I can't repair it- you don't pay me.

I haven't had one yet that I couldn't repair, but some have taken months to figure out. That said, within one hour I'll tell you if the engine has a mechanical issue with two sets of data being collected.

To clarify any comments I have made here about lifters:

Lifters can give issues with these engines, but when they do so they typically do not make "noise" that is usually associated with a bad lifter. Those noises are almost always misdiagnosed as a lifter issue, when they are actually cylinder issues at early onset. My comments about lifters not giving problems were obviously perceived differently than I intended by some members of this board.

I have had two lifter issues in the past month, neither made noise, and one of those came from a bad set of genuine Porsche lifters right out of the box.

In short, the things that are usually "lifter problems" with other engines don't show up the same way with an M96/ M97 engine.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:52 AM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 774 Likes on 496 Posts

Looks like a very good offer to me!! Better than continuing to shop it around.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:53 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,090 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
I know whats wrong with it.. Throw it on a truck and ship it on down. If I can't repair it- you don't pay me.

I haven't had one yet that I couldn't repair, but some have taken months to figure out. That said, within one hour I'll tell you if the engine has a mechanical issue with two sets of data being collected.

To clarify any comments I have made here about lifters:

Lifters can give issues with these engines, but when they do so they typically do not make "noise" that is usually associated with a bad lifter. Those noises are almost always misdiagnosed as a lifter issue, when they are actually cylinder issues at early onset. My comments about lifters not giving problems were obviously perceived differently than I intended by some members of this board.

I have had two lifter issues in the past month, neither made noise, and one of those came from a bad set of genuine Porsche lifters right out of the box.

In short, the things that are usually "lifter problems" with other engines don't show up the same way with an M96/ M97 engine.
Now that is an offer I would not hesitate one second to take! Yeah Jake!
Old 06-26-2017, 11:53 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

At this point, I'd take Jake up on his offer, you have nothing to lose!
Old 06-26-2017, 12:03 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by wildbilly32
Looks like a very good offer to me!! Better than continuing to shop it around.
I do business the way my grandfather did 100 years ago.
Except from a newspaper in Ft. Myers Florida from 1912.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:49 AM
Medevack1
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Thank you for the offer I will see about taking time off and the cost to ship. you are about 4 to 5 hours away.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:23 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Medevack1
Thank you for the offer I will see about taking time off and the cost to ship. you are about 4 to 5 hours away
We ship so many Porsches that I've started a separate division here to handle shipping brokerage and have a dedicated employee to handle this. I can have Randy at P- Car shipping contact you. Our best shipper runs the NC, SC route with a single car enclosed trailer. Jeff never disappoints with his services!
Old 07-02-2017, 06:08 AM
yaknart33
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You need to connect a vacuum guage to manifold vacuum ,set it up inside cabin

so you can monitor it.When the miss occurs ,If the guage fluctuates rapidly its

mechanical.If the guage stays steady its electrical.The reason your indy and

dealer techs had no answer for you is because the miss fire did not occur

when they were testing it.You need to monitor the vacuum when the miss

occurs.I worked for ford dealer for 32 years ,a senior master in gas and diesel

and alt fuels.I have seen concerns like this many times.You want to do non

invasive tests first.This is your most basic test that will give you a direction to

diagnose the concern .You already know which cyl it is.Its not a valve timing

problem because that would affect half the cylinders.One of hardest concerns

to diagnose erratic problems ,even with a code generated.Save yourself time

and money do this simple test before going into invasive diagnostics.If its elec

perform diagnostics per shop manual.I have set up diag equpt set to auto

record selected data ,have the customer drive it until concern happens,then

download and read data.
Old 08-26-2017, 05:39 PM
Nathan Jackson
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i had a cyl 6 misfire that would only occur at idle or low RPM's. i had a p306 misfire code and a camshaft deviation bank 2 code (p1342 if i remember correctly) the codes would pop up at different times. I replaced the lifters and camshaft tensioner/pads and the misfire hasn't returned nor has the deviation code.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:45 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,323 Likes on 1,960 Posts

<< Wondering what the prognosis is on the OP's car??
Old 10-18-2018, 12:07 PM
Medevack1
Racer

Well Guys the 911 is finally Fixed... woohoo!!!! I went ahead and parked the car for several months in order to figure out what I was going to do with the 911, so early this summer I took my 1973 Mazda Rx2 to a cars and coffee, and there was this guy with a Bad a$$ 911TT, I approached him and explained the problem with my 911, he told me that he can figure out the problem, so after talking about his 911TT and my Mazda Rx2, I found out he is the owner of HBI auto in Mocksville NC, They specialize in Porsche, Lamborghini and Ferraris. I agree to let him take my 911, the next day he came up to my house with an enclosed trailer, we loaded up my 911. About a moth later he called me and told me he found the problem, I was super excited, so I agree to have him fix the issue and it was 2 bad lifters in Cyl #2. So yes Flat6 Innovations was correct. Once the 911 was completed and running like a 911 40th AE is supposed to he delivered the 911 back to my house at no cost for the pickup and delivery. I drive my 911 everyday and everywhere I go. Im HAPPY !!!! Thank you to Billy @ HBI Auto in Mocksville NC https://hbiauto.com/

Old 10-18-2018, 12:15 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Awesome! What did the repair cost?
Old 10-18-2018, 12:17 PM
Medevack1
Racer

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Awesome! What did the repair cost?
lol lets just say I got the PCA discount and I was extremely happy with the results.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:23 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 741 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by Medevack1
Well Guys the 911 is finally Fixed... woohoo!!!! I went ahead and parked the car for several months in order to figure out what I was going to do with the 911, so early this summer I took my 1973 Mazda Rx2 to a cars and coffee, and there was this guy with a Bad a$$ 911TT, I approached him and explained the problem with my 911, he told me that he can figure out the problem, so after talking about his 911TT and my Mazda Rx2, I found out he is the owner of HBI auto in Mocksville NC, They specialize in Porsche, Lamborghini and Ferraris. I agree to let him take my 911, the next day he came up to my house with an enclosed trailer, we loaded up my 911. About a moth later he called me and told me he found the problem, I was super excited, so I agree to have him fix the issue and it was 2 bad lifters in Cyl #2. So yes Flat6 Innovations was correct. Once the 911 was completed and running like a 911 40th AE is supposed to he delivered the 911 back to my house at no cost for the pickup and delivery. I drive my 911 everyday and everywhere I go. Im HAPPY !!!! Thank you to Billy @ HBI Auto in Mocksville NC https://hbiauto.com/
So glad for you! I also have my 911 back running super, my problem was coils/plugs. I also share your day of joy!
Old 10-18-2018, 12:29 PM
Medevack1
Racer

Originally Posted by sasilverbullet
So glad for you! I also have my 911 back running super, my problem was coils/plugs. I also share your day of joy!
Trust me is an amazing feeling being able to get back in my 911. Good to hear yours is back too!!!!!!

Quick Reply: nor Indy or dealership could fix it I need you guys help!!!