Tiptronic performance driving?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 12:44 PM
911Syncro
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Tiptronic performance driving?

Hello Folks,

Having bought the car last week, I am trying to get familiar with steering wheel shifting. It is a 2002 C4S, and absolutely wanted the Tiptronic because this car will assist with all kinds of daily driving duties. But I am still rather awkward with the shifting switches on the wheel.

Compared to the 968, which also also has a Tiptronic, but 4-speed, but with that car the shifting is still with the stick. When in manual mode, you just slap the spring loaded stick back and forth to shift; that took some learning but was much more natural given past experience with manual transmissions. The one thing this experience taught me is how to "subconsciously" know when to downshift on an uphill (same thing needed on 996) and that became kinda automatic in my brain.

What I've been doing with the 996 is simply keeping and eye on the tach and then making a decision when to shift, but my fingers are not trained to find the proper buttons on the wheel. It isn't yet second nature. By the way, the one very cool thing I love on the 996 Tip is being able to shift while in D; not possible on the 968, have to move to M do do any manual shifting.

So to get fluent with the 996 Tiptronic, is it just practice? Any suggestions how to get "wheel shifting" into my head? How do people do it, use right or left buttons? I tend to the right button, since it is the right hand that does the shifting, correct? Anybody know of any written material with tips and suggestions on performance driving with the Tiptronic? Thanks!

Roland
Old 03-03-2017, 12:58 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

It takes some getting used to. I'm not crazy about how the buttons work. When I first got the car there were many times when I shifted by accident. I haven't done that in a while. Autocross can be tricky because at times the steering wheel is upside down and then down is up and up is down when shifting. Luckily you don't do too much shifting in Autocross.

Someone at one of the meets had replaced his steering wheel with one that has paddle shifters and he was very happy with it. Not a cheap option - over $1000 plus installation.

I wish they had it so you did the shifting with the stick, but you will get used to it.
Old 03-03-2017, 01:58 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

There's a thread around here somewhere detailing how someone installed paddle's (I think they're Mercedes) on their Tip wheel... do a search, it's fairly recent.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:21 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,325 Likes on 1,961 Posts

The best mod I have done to my 996 Tip is install Mercedes Paddles on the steering wheel .I own a 1999 996 Coupe Tip, 1999 996 Cap 6 speed, 2002 Boxster S manual. There are several options for getting paddles on a 996, Different steering wheels, kits, ect., but if you are handy with DIY the Mercedes AMG paddles fit perfectly, and you can still use the buttons when you want to. See the Pics of my steering wheel.

Old 03-03-2017, 02:25 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

I think the buttons are placed just right, and it's easy to use with your thumb on either side. I track my Tip 996 and it works fine. I really don't see the need (or expense) to add little paddles right behind the buttons. I think you just have spend a little time with it and get used to it. I bet you'll find you'll like it better than the operation of the 968 stick.

Congrats, and enjoy it good health.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:48 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by David993S
I think the buttons are placed just right, and it's easy to use with your thumb on either side. I track my Tip 996 and it works fine. I really don't see the need (or expense) to add little paddles right behind the buttons. I think you just have spend a little time with it and get used to it. I bet you'll find you'll like it better than the operation of the 968 stick.

I find the Paddles to be perfect position for two-handed hard rough turns with thumbs against the thumb bumps with tight grip, and the buttons are good for a lower hand position with a looser grip and also for one-handed driving.

Last edited by Porschetech3; 03-03-2017 at 03:38 PM. Reason: detail
Old 03-03-2017, 03:20 PM
911Syncro
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 98 Posts

Thanks for the info on the paddle shifters. It is probably equally difficult to get my head into a state of comfort and automation with those as with the button shifters. Every stick car (have one now), I never have to think about shifting 95% of the time once I am am familiar with it -- the shifting happens somewhat subconsciously. I'm just searching for a way to get into that state of mind with the tip -- and maybe it's just practice.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:26 PM
ReidN
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on the paddles
Attached Images  
Old 03-03-2017, 05:09 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

^Nice wheel!
Old 03-03-2017, 07:37 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Syncro
Thanks for the info on the paddle shifters. It is probably equally difficult to get my head into a state of comfort and automation with those as with the button shifters. Every stick car (have one now), I never have to think about shifting 95% of the time once I am am familiar with it -- the shifting happens somewhat subconsciously. I'm just searching for a way to get into that state of mind with the tip -- and maybe it's just practice.
You'll get to the point where it's just by feel and sound. I usually shift around 3500 rpm unless I'm driving a bit more aggressively. The great thing about the Tip is that it won't let you over-rev the engine. Even in manual mode, it will shift automatically around 6500 rpm. Maybe closer to 7000, but won't let you past redline.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:47 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Porschtech3 - I love those wheels!
Old 03-03-2017, 10:17 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Same here. I agree 100% As stated above, it does sometimes get a bit tricky at autocross when the wheel is upside down, but you get used to it. On the big track, never an issue. You can't really over-rev a tip, so don't worry while learning.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:46 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wyovino
Porschtech3 - I love those wheels!
Thankx !! They are Italian made 997.1 Turbo knock-offs(?) with narrow body offsets. A bit thicker and heavier than Porsche OEM but do not bend on Alabama potholes !
Old 03-04-2017, 03:33 AM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Stay with the buttons...its like learning to dance. The positive thing about them is that you can go up and down with either hand. Porsche did a variation of it on the first year pdk before going to the usual up with right down with the left. And I agree with the fellow who said it quickly becomes second nature. You learn the sound of the rpms and the feel of the torque and you know when to shift. Even shifting when the wheel is upside down. Interesting that many cars new have opted for the automatic trans vs the pdk...and the electronics make them honestly 99% as real world fast.

The more you interact with the tip, the more responsive it becomes. Give the slightest slightest lift on a manual mode upshifts and give the slightest increase in throttle when you down shift...these will smooth the shifts out and make it a more immediate response in manual mode.

I'm driving some cars this weekend trying to decide about going back to manual or staying with my tiptronic. I didn't enjoy the tip on the track...or maybe I just didn't have enough confidence in it to push it as hard as I would a manual. It was a short track but longer than autocross and I just never felt it was as responsive as I wanted.
Old 03-04-2017, 03:37 AM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Would love to hear your track techniques using the tip. And how it is holding up...more frequent trans fluids changes? Any special preps to the car...IMS, etc.?

Quick Reply: Tiptronic performance driving?