Paint looks like it blistered
2.50%
Paint looks like it was damaged in a car wash
22.50%
Paint looks fine to me....
0%
Still scratching head.....
0%
Why have I read all the options thus far?
2.50%
Who cares, what kinda wheel is that?
0%
I don't have a reply,
0%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Wheel mystery, what is your guess?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 10:15 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 306 Likes on 169 Posts

Obviously a manufacturing defect that has caused great emotional distress and you'll be hearing from his attorney good day I said good day sir.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:27 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Obviously a manufacturing defect that has caused great emotional distress and you'll be hearing from his attorney good day I said good day sir.
Very funny sir...

It was too obvious that there was some outside help that caused this flaw.. but I'm just trying to be nice about my wording since he is our customer...
Old 02-21-2017, 10:46 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 454 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by Wheel Dynamics
Very funny sir...

It was too obvious that there was some outside help that caused this flaw.. but I'm just trying to be nice about my wording since he is our customer...
Have him sign up on Rennlist, then direct him over to the 996 forum with his complaint. We'll take care of it for ya!
Old 02-21-2017, 11:46 PM
HawkFan#12
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel your pain. Working for an insurance company I see stuff like this all the time. It was in motion at the time and has nothing to do with the paint. If the impact hadn't occurred, the paint would be just fine. Tell your customer to hire an attorney and have a nice day. Some people's kids. Geesh.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:59 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Cuda911
Have him sign up on Rennlist, then direct him over to the 996 forum with his complaint. We'll take care of it for ya!
Just wanted feedback to ensure I wasn't crazy or being unreasonable....
Old 02-22-2017, 02:02 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by HawkFan#12
I feel your pain. Working for an insurance company I see stuff like this all the time. It was in motion at the time and has nothing to do with the paint. If the impact hadn't occurred, the paint would be just fine. Tell your customer to hire an attorney and have a nice day. Some people's kids. Geesh.
No, it's okay, I did explain to him that if a metal object hit his wheel and only paint was in the way that the paint is the softest material so obviously it would be the first to give... but we are 99.999999999% sure certain that this wheel had some outside help.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:16 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,008 Posts

Just my 2 cents worth...

Repair the wheel and write it off, then move one with business. Your reputation for quality work will be rewarded down the road. The more you stir the pot on this little snag in business, the greater chance of a negative affect as a result.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:22 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by b3freak
Just my 2 cents worth...

Repair the wheel and write it off, then move one with business. Your reputation for quality work will be rewarded down the road. The more you stir the pot on this little snag in business, the greater chance of a negative affect as a result.
I would feel more compelled if the customer would simply just saying something more alone the lines of "oh, I know this isn't y our fault but I have no clue how this happened but obviously I'd like to get it fixed" just as many of our customers have said in the past and of course we will discount the service work at cost rather than to have someone tell us that it is IMPOSSIBLE to have been anything but faulty workmanship even with scrape marks as proof that there was some sort of damage to the wheel. BTW, the customer picked up and inspected the wheels in person so shipping is not a factor in this.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:34 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

I completely understand. I owned a business for 20 years and understand the principle behind "choose your battles" and have taken many hits in profit to keep the customer happy. Word of mouth damage is worse than the repair costs. Think about it.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:12 AM
dblvanos
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the bicycle business we call this a JRA warranty claim.

Customer: my carbon fiber frame cracked, I was Just Riding Along.
Me: there are large gouges around the cracked area, sure you did not wreck?
Customer: you and this bicycle brand suck for not wanting to warranty this frame.

Just tell me the truth, I'm human, I'm sypathetic, ill push my brands to sell me a reduced cost crash replacement and I'll pass it along to you at cost and eat the labor on the build.

This thread reminds me, need to call you all to quote refinishing my wheels.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:28 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 454 Likes on 293 Posts

Just my 2 cents worth...

I completely understand. I owned a business for 20 years and understand the principle behind "choose your battles" and have taken many hits in profit to keep the customer happy. Word of mouth damage is worse than the repair costs. Think about it.
Completely unreasonable and irrational advice.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:37 AM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 02-23-2017, 09:42 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Cuda911
Completely unreasonable and irrational advice.
Actually, it's the customer that's being "unreasonable and irrational".

But after the dust settles, you have to ask yourself... Which is less costly to your business in time, crew labor, materials, and reputation?

1. Standing firm and not repairing the damaged wheel based on the evidence. Risk going to small claims court and having to pay court/legal costs and refunding the person's money anyway. Risk having your reputation falsely damaged by this type of person once they hit the car forums and social media.

or...

2. Chalk it up as a loss and repair the damage. Save time and money fighting it in court and protect your reputation.

Remember, we're talking only a $100 to fix this problem and move on with life. If spending hundreds, even thousands of dollar is worth the high-fives and pats on the back, then more power to you.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:52 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Wheel Dynamics
just as many of our customers have said in the past and of course we will discount the service work at cost rather than to have someone tell us that it is IMPOSSIBLE to have been anything but faulty workmanship.
Don't let the one bad apple cause you to start a pissin' contest with this individual. This type of customer probably only represents less than 2% of your clientele. Am I right? Most of your customers are honest and appreciative of your quality workmanship. This little problem has already caused you several hours of frustration and anguish? If that's the case, then he's already won.

Your compromise with this person is more than reasonable. You're the one that has to chose the next steps and if it's worth the efforts and risks.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:13 AM
Spork
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with B3 on this one. I can't tell you how many times I've said, "F this customer. He's trying to pull a fast one on me. I don't care if he never comes back again".

Then after my initial anger, I say, "F it! It's a 100 bucks, who cares? Just go ahead and make it right and comp the customer."

End result is a happy customer, better company reputation and I put the customer in my "ding'em file". Meaning next time he wants something from me I'm going to ding him with an extra $100 that he won't even know about. Probably ding him for $200 just to make me feel good!

Quick Reply: Wheel mystery, what is your guess?????