Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Rebuilding valve Lifters? Can it be done well?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 03:00 PM
JohnCA58
Rennlist Member

Received 358 Likes on 225 Posts

Harley's have a huge problems with lifters, fits and valving, I take a lifter and take it apart and clean it out completely, then use ATF or calibration oil (No motor oil) and stick it in a container filled with oil and run a vacuum to eliminate all the air from the lifter, then I have a tool that is fabricated to support the lifter in the drill press at the same tolerance as the lifter block on the motor, cut a push rod and install on drill press, also set a dial indicator on the set up to measure travel, now the important part is to measure the travel of the lifter for a given time, most important is setting a weight on the arm of the drill press so the lifter see the same amount of pressure all the time, most chinese junk lifters don't make it, I am looking for less than .050 travel in 1 minute and 5lbs of weight on my drill press.
Note: on a buddy set up we took the lifter holder and plumbed a Sure Shot can to it and pressurized the lifter with 30 psi of pressure during the testing, don't think we gained anything other than different timing for the same travel.

the same could be done for the M96 lifter. research would have to be done to get a time and travel with a good and bad lifter, also enough can not be said about the cleanliness of the lifter insides , have come up with left over machining many of times on new lifters.

Last edited by JohnCA58; 08-07-2017 at 03:19 PM.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:25 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Test Lifters and Tappets INA Porsche M96

John- Brilliant Post.
You are using a more elegant version of my test system. So either we are both fools or maybe we have actually found a reasonable method to roughly evaluate lifters.
Do you know of any link, description or video of your method of measuring suspect Lifters? I did not find any before coming up with my test system.That is why my suggestion was rather hesitant - I had no clue it had already been done by this "!John" guy !
Thank you for sharing.

Originally Posted by JohnCA58
Harley's have a huge problems with lifters, fits and valving, I take a lifter and take it apart and clean it out completely, then use ATF or calibration oil (No motor oil) and stick it in a container filled with oil and run a vacuum to eliminate all the air from the lifter, then I have a tool that is fabricated to support the lifter in the drill press at the same tolerance as the lifter block on the motor, cut a push rod and install on drill press, also set a dial indicator on the set up to measure travel, now the important part is to measure the travel of the lifter for a given time, most important is setting a weight on the arm of the drill press so the lifter see the same amount of pressure all the time, most chinese junk lifters don't make it, I am looking for less than .050 travel in 1 minute and 5lbs of weight on my drill press.
Note: on a buddy set up we took the lifter holder and plumbed a Sure Shot can to it and pressurized the lifter with 30 psi of pressure during the testing, don't think we gained anything other than different timing for the same travel.

the same could be done for the M96 lifter. research would have to be done to get a time and travel with a good and bad lifter, also enough can not be said about the cleanliness of the lifter insides , have come up with left over machining many of times on new lifters.

Quick Reply: Rebuilding valve Lifters? Can it be done well?