996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 dipstick indicates how much low?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 01:46 PM
Tonykarter
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 dipstick indicates how much low?

I went to test drive a 2000 996 Carrera yesterday and just to be safe I checked the fluids first. The owner, a long-term friend, was not there and told me to just go over and drive it, the keys being in the seat. I found the oil to just barely be touching the bottom of the oil dipstick. I did not start it. I had no oil to fill it, nor should I as it is not mine, but I am wondering:
1. Just how many quarts low is it when the oil is just touching the bottom of the dipstick?
2. While I know that running any motor low on oil is not good, how harmful is it to the 996 if it were run with the oil that low?

The hydraulic reservoir was so low that it was not even touching on its dipstick.

Thanks in advance everyone.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:50 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

About a quart. Always best to run it with a full crankcase, but running it on the bottom of the dipstick is not going to harm it in every day driving.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:05 PM
Tonykarter
6th Gear

Thanks Paul!
Old 01-18-2017, 02:32 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 697 Posts

yeah well...with that being said, if the car has been sitting for several days (even 24 hours) and the oil is at the bottom of the dipstick, when you start it and the oil starts circulating it will drop even more, maybe even to a critical level. Very wise not to start it. If on a test drive, if something were to go wrong because the oil level was too low, I'm afraid you might be responsible and that would be a problem. Are you saying the power steering fluid was also low? What else did the owner not check or maintain properly.....??? Oil level is basic car maintenance, for any car.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:49 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

^ what Paul said.

At first I tried to keep mine filled up at first but all that does is lead to a bit of overfilling when warm. I try to keep mine in the middle-ish of the dipstick, between 1/2 and 2/3. Cold oil at the top of the dipstick might give you a smoky startup and slightly overfilled condition. Just lessons I've learned

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
yeah well...with that being said, if the car has been sitting for several days (even 24 hours) and the oil is at the bottom of the dipstick, when you start it and the oil starts circulating it will drop even more, maybe even to a critical level. Very wise not to start it. If on a test drive, if something were to go wrong because the oil level was too low, I'm afraid you might be responsible and that would be a problem. Are you saying the power steering fluid was also low? What else did the owner not check or maintain properly.....??? Oil level is basic car maintenance, for any car.
cold oil is more dense than operating temp oil, fyi. For the 996 correct oil measuring isn't with cold oil, but operating temp. Unless I'm a moran & misread everything.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:03 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 697 Posts

OMG...let's not turn this into a "when should I measure my oil level" thread. Per Jake - measure with the dipstick at engine stone cold, i.e., after the engine has sat for 24 hours. I'll go with that recommendation/advice any day. If it is at the lowest mark on the dipstick (barely touching the bottom of the dipstick=OP) at stone cold, you need to add oil.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:20 PM
ditto
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use the electronic gauge. It will tell you if there is enough oil.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:00 PM
Tonykarter
6th Gear

Agreed on oil being part of basic maintenance. My friend lost his wife, the love of his life a while back. Were I to lose mine I might let some things go unaddressed around here too. I am going to give him a mulligan.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:48 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
OMG...let's not turn this into a "when should I measure my oil level" thread. Per Jake - measure with the dipstick at engine stone cold, i.e., after the engine has sat for 24 hours. I'll go with that recommendation/advice any day. If it is at the lowest mark on the dipstick (barely touching the bottom of the dipstick=OP) at stone cold, you need to add oil.
"you're mistaken" works, but theatrics & reactionary social media ZOMG will have to do I suppose.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:51 PM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Could be that your dipstick is too short to properly measure the oil level. Some guys end up with shorter dipsticks due to ordering mistake or just accident.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:21 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

can i share this beauty now
Old 01-18-2017, 09:45 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 774 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by Kalashnikov
Some guys end up with shorter dipsticks due to ordering mistake or just accident.
OH BOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-18-2017, 09:51 PM
Tonykarter
6th Gear

Thanks everyone. I truly appreciate you investing your time in me. I have decided to pass on it. Obtained permission from him to top off both fluids. The oil was NOT TOUCHING the bottom fo the stick as previously reported: it took 2.75l oil to get it to the middle of the stick, and about 6 ounces hyd fluid. Not good. Bottom of crankcase fully coated with oil. More not good. Thin grey foam blowing out of the A/C vents? I don't take care of my rolling stock like that, barely have time to maintain the standards I keep now, so the things I already own really own me. Don't need another 4-wheel taskmaster putting a guilt trip on me and constantly mocking my existence. No spare time left to appropriate to a project like that. There are too many nice ones out there. The search continues, travel well friends, fade to commercial...

Last edited by Tonykarter; 01-18-2017 at 10:16 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:25 PM
Boomvang
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

While the oil and hydro fluid issues would be deal breakers for me, the grey foam is normal for these cars, just normal aging of the insulating foam in the ductwork.
I would keep looking, there are plenty of nice ones out there. Good luck

Quick Reply: 996 dipstick indicates how much low?