Sponsored by:

1999 Porsche 996 IMMO immobilizer removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 01:21 AM
lovespeed
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Porsche 996 IMMO immobilizer removal

Who around Los Angeles can remove the IMMO immobilizer?

My 996 has sustained water and fire damage at the same time.
Due to the rain, the IMMO got wet and there was short circuit fire damage on the electronic part of the key.

I would like to get the car started without anymore IMMO device.

I also have a spec boxster that I would like to totally remove the IMMO.
Push start modification for race car.

Or any help for me to do it myself would be appreciated?
step by step procedure including tools and software and hardware needed?
Old 01-17-2017, 09:46 AM
jaetee
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Immobilizer removal is very, very easy. Remove driver's seat first (you will need torx wrench, forgot size) and the immobilizer is right there.

You will need to be clever about disconnecting (then reconnecting) the electrical plugs, which have some sort of pull/locking mechanism you need to be semi-delicate with.

For best (read cheapest) results. I suggest sourcing a used immobilizer that is exactly the same as yours from ebay and then shipping your DME, Immo and keys to ECUDoctors.com down in South FL. They will either repair yours, or reprogram the one you send to match your vehichle.

If you go to the dealer you're looking at separate parts, programming and new key charges that will well exceed what ECU Dotoctors charge. Also, Porsche dealers WILL NOT under any circumstances mess around with a used immobilizer, they will only sell you a brand new one.

There may be other companies that can do the reprogramming for you, but ECU doctors is the only one I know off the top of my head.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:52 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 697 Posts

I think what he is asking is how to take the immobilizer out and still have the car start. I don't know about that. The immobilizer and DME work in conjunction with each other, and when starting the car, the immobilizer reads the RFID pill in the key and then tells the DME okay to start. How you take that out of the loop and still have the car start, I think you would have to do a bunch of research in the electrical system to find out how the immobilizer signals the DME to allow starting. Maybe someone who has done race car prep would know.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:01 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 157 Posts

Depending on series removing immobilizer requires altering ECU which might be illegal. Proceed with caution especially if racecar.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:35 PM
lovespeed
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spoke with ECUdoctors.com and they were helpful.

My reluctance to sending my key, IMMO, and ECU to them is that they are in Florida. My fear is after I send it, that it does not work. This is why I am wondering if there is a local shop in Los Angeles that I could take it to so that we can test to make sure the fix works. Or whatever other mods to make it work is done.

So far no luck finding a local L.A. guy.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:54 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 697 Posts

What's wrong with Florida? There has been some very positive feedback regarding ECUDoctors. You already spoke with them so you know they provide phone support. They are considered one of the best and have gotten some people out of some tight jams. The keys, immobilizer and DME/ECU must all be done at the same time.

Your only other option is a Porsche dealer or someone very proficient with PWIIS and has that equipment. BTW, you said your immobilizer was toast. Did you get another one?
Old 01-19-2017, 02:55 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 157 Posts

The spec boxster guys, especially Matt Muller, can probably help. Go here: https://rennlist.com/forums/spec-box...r-build-6.html starting at post 87 for description of what these guys did; not sure it will help with your specific issue but probably a good starting point.

Quick Reply: 1999 Porsche 996 IMMO immobilizer removal