Sponsored by:

About to embark on 996 C4s engine replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 01:58 AM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default About to embark on 996 C4s engine replacement

Gonna locate/order an engine within the next two weeks. I was thinking of adding an accusump system.

What is the thought on this. I track the car. I don't race the car. I run sticky tires.

I have read (rather skimmed) and I am not getting a clear picture of whether this would be a good route. I am not talking about the IMS...that will be replaced....possibly by the guardian system (still am not 100% on it).

But I would like to get thoughts on the Accusump addition. Seems the cost is rather bearable considering dropping 5 figures on an engine and I definitely do not want to go through an engine replacement again.

Gonna add the motorsport AOS as well and go through the engine.

Jake, et. al....what are your thoughts?

I am also planning on getting a matching mileage transmission. Anything I should do to it?

I really wish I could afford Jake's services but I think I would rather just go get a 996 Turbo instead. It's too bad I'm so damn attached to my car and the wide body.

Thanks, in advance.
The following users liked this post:
sharknose (11-13-2022)
Old 01-17-2017, 02:44 AM
vandersmith
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Man, I was just having this conversation recently with a friend of mine. Sorry to hear this.

I did a ton of research on this and ultimately didn't go with the Accusump but I'll let others chime in. For me it seemed to add another level I didn't need; mostly where to put it but I also do my own oil changes and didn't want to add another level of complexity since I change oil every month during track season. It seemed like overkill for a weekender but you've got me rethinking that.

Are you able to salvage your X51 pan/baffle? If not, I have the FVD deep pan unit from LN and its been great.

You're spot on about saving on the big items with the Engine out; valves, chains, guides, etc. All of the fun expensive stuff thats less dramatic with it on a mount.

I've also heard that our stock Bosch DME can be programmed for a 997 3.8 but haven't confirmed.

If you stick with another 3.6 I've got a few things in the garage I'm not using if you need em. I'll check my spare AOS as I can't recall if I bought the motorsports version or simply the upgraded 997 one.

Godspeed.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:59 AM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I haven't been able to salvage a single thing off the engine....maybe the alternator and a couple of other things which aren't going to really make a difference.

I am reading up on LN's site and could go with the dual scavenger pumps but that's a pretty penny and am not sure whether that's going overboard for my purposes. I could just do the 2 qt deep sump kit and call it a day with adding an external oil cooler and delete the water heat exchanger as my track stuff is in Southern California.

I would love to put a 3.8 in there but that's hard to come buy not to mention expensive. I rather do whatever to make the engine last. It's not like 320 hp was that small an amount, but 345 sure sounds better without having to get into a world of hurt with costs.

If I am smart then I can get the engine, transmission and all ancillary improvements and MAAAAYBE a limited slip differential for 20k.

Unfortunately, LN's engine (if they were actually able to do it in terms of time would be way over that money sadly).

Originally Posted by vandersmith
Man, I was just having this conversation recently with a friend of mine. Sorry to hear this.

I did a ton of research on this and ultimately didn't go with the Accusump but I'll let others chime in. For me it seemed to add another level I didn't need; mostly where to put it but I also do my own oil changes and didn't want to add another level of complexity since I change oil every month during track season. It seemed like overkill for a weekender but you've got me rethinking that.

Are you able to salvage your X51 pan/baffle? If not, I have the FVD deep pan unit from LN and its been great.

You're spot on about saving on the big items with the Engine out; valves, chains, guides, etc. All of the fun expensive stuff thats less dramatic with it on a mount.

I've also heard that our stock Bosch DME can be programmed for a 997 3.8 but haven't confirmed.

If you stick with another 3.6 I've got a few things in the garage I'm not using if you need em. I'll check my spare AOS as I can't recall if I bought the motorsports version or simply the upgraded 997 one.

Godspeed.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:28 AM
vandersmith
Pro

The pan I'm using is the FVD 3/4 qt and it seems to work. The shop said the baffle looks identical to the X51 but is aluminum? instead of plastic - http://suncoastparts.com/product/FVD20798801.html

Last edited by vandersmith; 01-17-2017 at 04:40 AM.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:01 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

If you are going down this route I would at least talk to Jake first and find out what an FSI would cost you. It would be a shame to spend 20k and end up right back in the same boat. I assume you are going to buy a used engine for the swap or are you looking at a rebuild through RND or similar?

Probably 2/3rds of the SP996 guys have accusumps, the rest have x51 baffles at a minimum.

Also, I run a standard AOS on my '99 track car with Pirelli DH slicks and haven't had any issues. I keep the oil dead center on the dipstick though.

As for a turbo engine, if you spend a lot of time on the track, then an NA is definitely the way to go. The NA power curve makes managing the rear end with the throttle much more enjoyable through the turns.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:34 AM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Have you uncovered the mode of failure yet? Your budget of 20k would allow you to rebuild and re-sleeve the engine unless the engine cases are damaged. If you D chunked a cylinder wall chances are you can re-sleeve and upgrade to 3.8 or 4liter. You may want to consider tearing the engine down to the point where you uncover the mode of failure. I spent a lot of time researching before I committed. I was able to get my car back on the road for much less than what you're budgeting. Pm me if you want some details of my rebuild.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:21 AM
Rvca3112
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 85 Posts

If your budget is in the 20k mark.... ruby engines aren't out of your reach. And you'll know for sure that it's essentially a forever car st that point.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:48 AM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Talk to Tony Callas at Renn Sport in the Inglewood/Hawthorn area. He has worked with jake Raby and is an approved shop to do the full Soluntion IMS fix. Tony also ran the Le Mans teams a couple of times for Porsche. He, like Jake, is very expensive but he is also a nice guy and might be able to do things like the solution for you. Also talk to Marco at TLG Auto in the San Fernando Valley. He has a local engine source in So Cal that has a variety of levels of engine rebuilds on the shelf. You could be looking at a one week turn around and at prices that should work within your budget. TLG also builds and races Porsches. Between Tony and Marco you might get good advice on the sump questions, etc.
The following users liked this post:
sharknose (11-13-2022)
Old 01-19-2017, 07:40 AM
Turbojamie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

My vote would be for MB Motorsport.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:39 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,669 Likes on 921 Posts

Originally Posted by jyoteen
Gonna locate/order an engine within the next two weeks.
Tell us what happened to the motor. You have a beautiful C4S and it's a shame the engine gave up the ghost. Did it die on the track or just during normal driving?
Old 01-19-2017, 09:49 AM
dgi 07
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by b3freak
Tell us what happened to the motor. You have a beautiful C4S and it's a shame the engine gave up the ghost. Did it die on the track or just during normal driving?
Died on the track.
Here is the thread if you missed it prior

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...66k-miles.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...t-the-ims.html
Old 01-19-2017, 10:37 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,669 Likes on 921 Posts

^Thanks man. Yea, I've busy at work and don't have a lot of RL time.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:56 PM
vandersmith
Pro

Originally Posted by dgi 07
Oh man. Missed this post. Ouch.

Good luck - let us know where we can help get the Bus back out there

Quick Reply: About to embark on 996 C4s engine replacement