Sponsored by:

Some little bits in oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 12:18 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by HenryPcar
Sure is quite a bit of debris. As another member suggests, drop the pan and inspect how bad it is. If it is the chain tensioner, then the engine has to be dropped to change it.
Look a few posts up. The motor has been broken down...
Old 09-17-2018, 07:18 PM
Noz1974
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Vario cam pads are not too big of an issue , probably easier to do with engine out, just valve covers off not even heads need to come off, that would sort your cam deviation out and you would be good to go for a while, the ims chain paddle which is the black plastic is a bitch though , heads off and cases split for that one , it's on the back of the crank carrier!! Should keep going if monitored though! If you don't want to do a full rebuild at the moment maybe get the vario pads done then that may buy you some time , seems mad , plastic chain rails with limited life buried so deep in the engine, the ims one is like a clip on cover over a metal tensioner must only be about 3mm thick!
Old 09-17-2018, 09:26 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

808Bill--I will work on getting some pics of the old innards. Everything looked pretty good, but the brown and black plastic pads/ramps were worn. They looked maybe not quite as bad as the ones shown in post 6. There was also a bit of scoring on one of the pistons.

HenryPcar--My post 23 shows what I found in the oil pan back in May of 2017.

dgjks6--I don't think waiting cost me anything. That being said, the CEL coming on probably saved my ***. Had I not gotten that warning, I figure I might have been driving along at some point and skipped timing. That would have cost me more! As it is, my heads and valves are in good shape.

Noz1974--I thought about just doing the minimum, but while the motor is out of the car . . . The fact that the black plastic pads were wearing was, as you mentioned, a push in the direction of splitting the case. Since I want a car that I can feel good about driving on the track, then it's down the slippery slope of Nickies, etc.

I look forward to updating you all on how the "new" car is running. Maybe in late October or early November???
Old 11-13-2018, 10:37 AM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 268 Posts

Thanks for the update [in the original thread]. Super helpful and useful information to see things as a progression in time and have the overall context in which things happened, rather than someone making an entirely new thread and us only have the instance.

I just had 6 hours of track time @ COTA in 3 days, and upcoming 2 days @ MSR-Houston on 12/1-2. I fully expect to have a similar undertaking to what you've encountered. Considering doing the build myself... wouldn't be the first engine, but would be the first Porsche engine.

I hope the car is coming back together for you shortly. Do you have a list of modifications/changes done during the build?
Old 11-13-2018, 12:00 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

I haven't got the car back yet. Hopefully in the next few weeks. I told the guy to take his time, so . . .
See post #26 for a list of things being done with the motor.
I see a lot of threads where someone posts about a problem but never follows through with the resolution. I have probably done this myself a few times. Clearly it is more useful to see the whole progression. I will be posting more info as it becomes available.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:18 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Who's doing the work? Is it Auto Therapy? Is it the same basic package as FSI Stage II Track Performer? (looks similar - rods, pistons, valves/guides, Timing chains and paddles, etc.) Any head work?
Old 11-14-2018, 04:06 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dporto
Who's doing the work? Is it Auto Therapy? Is it the same basic package as FSI Stage II Track Performer? (looks similar - rods, pistons, valves/guides, Timing chains and paddles, etc.) Any head work?
Yes, Auto Therapy (Roger Bratter) is doing the work. I'm not sure on the details of FSI Stage II. In addition to the LN Nickies, new pistons, and Carillo rods, I am getting an IPD intake plenum. Timing chains, paddles, and tensioners are being replaced, along with the AOS and various other bits. I don't think he did anything with the heads other than clean them up. Valves all looked good.

By coincidence, this thread was resurrected yesterday, and this morning I got pics from Roger. Here is one of them. Looks like I should be getting the car back soon!

Old 11-14-2018, 11:18 PM
Flyfishnick
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 114 Posts

Hah, I am going to have the coolest lawn art in my neighborhood if and when mine blows, but till then I'll keep reading, learning from y'all, fix what I can and continue to vigilantly pray I win the lottery
Regardless, if mine ever launches, it's been fun and a dream come true to at least afford for awhile yessireeeeeeeee!!!!!!
Old 11-15-2018, 08:26 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 268 Posts

That's one beautiful photo!
Old 11-16-2018, 10:21 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark Hubley
Yes, Auto Therapy (Roger Bratter) is doing the work. I'm not sure on the details of FSI Stage II. In addition to the LN Nickies, new pistons, and Carillo rods, I am getting an IPD intake plenum. Timing chains, paddles, and tensioners are being replaced, along with the AOS and various other bits. I don't think he did anything with the heads other than clean them up. Valves all looked good.

By coincidence, this thread was resurrected yesterday, and this morning I got pics from Roger. Here is one of them. Looks like I should be getting the car back soon!

Looks good! Seems like a similar build - I hope it works out well for you
Old 05-07-2020, 11:09 AM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

I dropped this thread back at the end of 2018, and a year-and-a-half later I am picking it back up. I got the car back in early 2019. After getting the car back from Autotherapy, I took it to John Behe at RPR in Baltimore. He did a thorough tune on the car and gave it back to me with a dyno sheet showing me 306 hp and 273 lb-ft at the rear wheels. He never had the car before the rebuild, so I cannot do a direct before/after comparison, but those numbers look pretty good to me. John said he put an emphasis on the upper RPM range, since I track the car, and I swear I can feel the car pulling hard up above 5,000. Maybe placebo effect, but it seems real. My first outing on the track was at Road America in July 2019. According to Harry's Lap Timer, my highest speed at the end of the main straight back in 2017 was 131 MPH. This time I was hitting just above 140. So, I think there is some noticeable improvement. In August I had a three day event at Summit Point, and I noticed some improvements, but not quite what I was expecting. After that event, I discovered the tire pressure gauge I was using was reading about 5 PSI too high, so I probably had my tire pressures way off. Then I tore the rotator cuff in my right shoulder playing basketball, and I did not do any more track events last year. Thanks to SARS-CoV-2, no track events so far this year.

So, I spent something north of $25K on the car, and while I wish that never happened, I am happy with the results. Now I need more track time. I am scheduled to be back at Road America this coming July, and I plan to have fresh tires and an accurate pressure gauge! My fingers are crossed that the event will happen. In the next few weeks I am planning to purchase and install a set of Ohlins coilovers in place of my ROW M030 suspension.
The following 4 users liked this post by Mark Hubley:
808Bill (05-07-2020), dporto (05-07-2020), Mike Murphy (05-09-2020), triggz82 (05-07-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 01:43 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Sounds like a good build! Did you go to 3.8l ? Your HP/Tq #'s are very similar to mine (mine was dyno'd before I put the IPD Plenum/GT3 throttle body on, so they may be a little higher now...). You're going to love the feel of the Ohlin's, and they'll probably improve your lap times a little if they're set up correctly! Good luck!
Old 05-07-2020, 01:52 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes sir, 3.8 liters.
Old 08-14-2020, 03:53 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Hubley
Yes sir, 3.8 liters.
The extra HP is mostly from the increased displacement and not from the tune.
Old 08-14-2020, 05:15 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Bummer!
Motor grenaded.https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-are-over.html

Quick Reply: Some little bits in oil filter