996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Badness in the coolant tank

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 08:36 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

"That said, what id do is an oil service and. Used oil analysis... The results will come back with percentage of water and percentage of potassium, and glycol. This will tell the real story. Buy the oil from www.rndeuroparts.com and select the free oil analysis at check out. Don't use freakin Blackstone! "

^Yup^... Better safe than sorry! Stop driving the car/running the engine. Do the oil analysis - once you have proper data, devise a proper repair plan!!
Old 10-25-2016, 09:55 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

If you do one analysis now and find water/ coolant, then you can put a couple hundred miles on it (watched extremely closely!) and then perform another analysis. If the levels are greater after 200 miles, the issue is getting worse. If they are better after 200 miles, the issue could be linked to residual intermix from a previous repair.

I do this all the time.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:01 AM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the knowledge as usual, Jake. OP, this free "engine life-saving" advice from an expert is priceless, hopefully you take full advantage of it. Best of luck.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:47 AM
mharrison
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
I do this all the time.
At the risk of sounding like a fanboy, I'm filing away for future reference anything diagnostic that Jake says he does all the time!
Old 10-25-2016, 12:39 PM
Atelectatic
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes all the advice has been great!

Jake I will replace the engine oil and send it off as you said.

Now for some controversy- I put mobile 1 synthetic 0W40 in. RND does not sell this so what would you recommend?

This is a southern california cruiser (no track) that occasionally takes spirited drives through the canyons but mostly is stuck in traffic
Old 10-25-2016, 03:28 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,102 Likes on 708 Posts

ohhhhhh nooooo! You have officially done it now. Turned it into an dreaded oil thread. Can't wait to see what happens next......
Old 10-25-2016, 03:38 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 778 Likes on 498 Posts

RUN AWAY....!
Old 10-25-2016, 03:43 PM
Atelectatic
Track Day

hey im just a simple guy looking for simple solutions that wont make my car explode
Old 10-25-2016, 03:59 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

RND can/will still do the analysis on the M1 oil, but you're only going to get it for free if you buy 12 qts. of JG DT40 to re-fill ...your second one will be based on the DT40 even though there will still be some M1 contamination in there... Good Luck
Old 10-25-2016, 09:19 PM
Atelectatic
Track Day

I got the DT40 and oil analysis deal- the website is not super intuitive and the JG DT40 doesn't even come up as an oil option once you put in the specs of the car. I eventually scrolled down the main page and found the spot I needed, though.

Once the results come back in I will post them. I'm a bit scared with what I might find- ignorance is bliss as they say. At least until your engine blows up
Old 11-04-2016, 01:12 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,366 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by Atelectatic
I got the DT40 and oil analysis deal- the website is not super intuitive and the JG DT40 doesn't even come up as an oil option once you put in the specs of the car. I eventually scrolled down the main page and found the spot I needed, though.

Once the results come back in I will post them. I'm a bit scared with what I might find- ignorance is bliss as they say. At least until your engine blows up
I'm curious as to what your oil analysis said?
Old 01-19-2017, 01:28 AM
Atelectatic
Track Day

UPDATE:
I have driven a couple months monitoring the above issue without a problem... I've monitored the coolant, oil levels, pressure monitors, temp, etc and zero issues. I would say I've put 1000 miles on it. No leaks at all under the car.

I left it for about a month without checking. Today, the engine turned over a little longer 2 times in a row when starting it up. After that, it went back to starting up as usual. Anyway, I decided I should check things out and there is definitely oil there now. Still not total sludge- when i transilluminate the reservoir it looks bright pink underneath but now looks sludgy on top.

I drove it home (4 miles) without a hitch. No CEL, no loss of power (though of course i didnt test it hard), no puddles under the car. Nothing. PSI reached all the way up as it always does. I had driven with medium aggression through some canyons the morning I noticed the sludge and it performed perfectly!

I am going to bring it into a shop now, but wanted to know if anyone can recommend one in the los angeles area (preferably west LA)- I will post on the local side of the forums

I want to get this diagnosed correctly so I want to find the right shop.

AS FOR THE ANALYSIS- I sent off the oil analysis. It came with a clear bottle, and a plastic blue cylinder to put the oil tube in with the ALS address on it. I wrapped the info slip around the clear bottle and put it in the blue cylinder, taped it up, and brought it to UPS. They put it in another box (wouldnt allow me to mail the cylinder only) and sent it off. 2 months later, I contacted RND because I had not heard anything. I had the UPS confirmation from the delivery to ALS (even with the receiving guy's name on it), but they have yet to find the specimen. They say they received an unmarked oil specimen around that time but still no word. My guess is that they saw the box with the oil tube in it and thought I forgot the info slip because it was inside the blue container. So, I never got that info. If I do, then I will share!
Old 01-19-2017, 12:05 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Atelectatic
I am going to bring it into a shop now, but wanted to know if anyone can recommend one in the los angeles area (preferably west LA)- I will post on the local side of the forums

I want to get this diagnosed correctly so I want to find the right shop!
Not sure how far Torrance is from you but this shop has Jake's stamp of approval : Callas Rennsport, Porsche and BMW Service & Restoration Center
Old 01-19-2017, 12:15 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by kromdom
Not sure how far Torrance is from you but this shop has Jake's stamp of approval : Callas Rennsport, Porsche and BMW Service & Restoration Center
No first hand experience but they seem to get good reports and in West LA.

http://www.lucentmotor.com
Old 01-19-2017, 12:23 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Tony is a great guy and he instructs the m96/97 engine rebuild class with Jake. He spent half a day teaching us how to time the 3.4L and 3.6L as part of the class.

You can't go wrong with him for sure.

Quick Reply: Badness in the coolant tank