Sponsored by:

Another one ticking......Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 11:19 PM
Montychristo128
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ohhhhhhhhhh soooooooo shinnnnnnyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

F*ck me that was a big bill. But ohhhh so shiny. Slowly it comes back to life.

Nickies

Lovely new JE Pistons

Old 09-08-2017, 03:10 PM
dallison28
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will tell you that my motor failure has really put a bad taste in my mouth for buying another Porsche. I know you are gambling when you buy one of these things, but it seems like more are having major issues with age. Some are lucky, but then again are paying 10-20k for rebuilds. Kudos to those who are footing the bills for these wonderful cars.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:07 PM
stasha
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dallison28
I will tell you that my motor failure has really put a bad taste in my mouth for buying another Porsche. I know you are gambling when you buy one of these things, but it seems like more are having major issues with age. Some are lucky, but then again are paying 10-20k for rebuilds. Kudos to those who are footing the bills for these wonderful cars.
Yah, I kinda sorta finally got there also (bad taste).
How many other non-Porsche cars have you bought that cost under $20K and were high performers, but which REQUIRED you to get up to a $1000 PPI before you purchase it?
...and if it "fails" the PPI, you're out of the money.
But meanwhile, the reason you get the PPI is to make sure it won't fail within the first week (even though no one can guarantee their PPI to cover the 100 things that can go wrong).

For some, it takes one slap in the face to comprehend the greater picture; for me, it took about 10 slaps over the past 10+ years; for many others, the need to remain loyal to something outweighs common sense, and it might never happen.

BTW, you see the same with Chevy and Ford enthusiasts, as well as Redskins and Mets (etc.) fans -- as examples.

I'm down to 2 remaining Porsches (air cooled plus a Cayman), but will be trying something different when these crap out. Every time we drive the Cayman, it's pins and needles when there is a strange road sound. The 87 is still a project, gulp.

Ah, and one more thing.... WHEN YOU GO TO SELL THE P-CAR, good Gawd, the accusations and suspicions and doubts about your veracity and integrity that are flung your way by prospective buyers who are half-knowledgeable about these cars.... well, it makes you feel like a criminal that you are even charging them! Makes you feel like you should be giving them the car, and then paying the repairs for anything that mechanically goes wrong in the first 2 years!

Sellers, tell me I'm not wrong.

Well, I better go out and change the oil on the Cayman. It's been 200 (two hundred) miles or 2 months. Don't want anything bad to happen to the car due to under-maintenance.
Guess I'll go get some expensive oil and take the minivan to get it; come to think of it, the minivan hasn't had the oil checked or changed in 10,000 miles and over a year. Nah, the van's good for at least another couple thou before I change it with whatever brand and weight oil is cheapest at Walmart....

?Misplaced loyalties?
The following users liked this post:
Porschetech3 (04-07-2020)
Old 09-08-2017, 05:50 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

IMO the way Porsche thinks of its customers is classic big corp taking them for granted.

Many companies fall into this trap and only realize their market has been disrupted when its too late to do anything about it.

I'm reminded by this bullet point list which crops up on LinkedIn every few months and its so accurate. (attached)

Right now Porsche probably thinks electric vehicles are a fringe threat to its business but I feel they are its biggest threat due to a number of factors.
The Porsche range and brand has been moving more and more away from driving enthusiasts and more to fat businessmen (moving into SUV's for example) with lots of money burning a hole in their pocket, a market like this is much more fickle and won't show much brand loyalty.

Instead of aiming for driving enjoyment Porsche is too fixated (like most of the car industry) on numbers like 0-60, top speed, lateral G, etc etc.
It gets harder and harder to keep delivering better looking numbers with the constraint of a gasoline motor, all the while meeting harder emissions standards, noise, reliability. Usually you make a tradeoff and reliability and/or cost suffer, hence porsche now moving to turbos on all 911's for example.

Meanwhile electric cars are getting more and more range all the time, battery prices are dropping, electric motors have *one* moving part and are very reliable, performance is increasing with *NO* tradeoff in complexity or reliability.

At some point Mr fat businessman is going to look at porsche Vs brand X electric, it will be faster, quieter, more reliable and have a better resale residual and the decision will be logical and easy.

Porsche will race to try and re-brand itself but will it succeed?

Here's more evidence, 911R Vs Peugeot Rallye by Chris Harris, I'm sure a lot of folks have seen this video but what is amazing is how the Peugeot holds its own, the bigger numbers 911R looks light years ahead on paper yet to an enthusiast it isn't.
Once you give up on enthusiasts and reduce your product to a set of numbers your product is a commodity.
Attached Images  
Old 09-08-2017, 06:12 PM
stasha
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris(MA)
IMO the way Porsche thinks of its customers is classic big corp taking them for granted.

Many companies fall into this trap and only realize their market has been disrupted when its too late to do anything about it.
Interesting and poignant critique. All valid points.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:23 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,728 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Kudos to those who are footing the bills for these wonderful cars.
That's Kinda how it works:

Plenty
Of
Receipts
Sorry
Can't
Have
Everything

Quick Reply: Another one ticking......Help