Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What have you learned since joining Rennlist?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 11:17 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Noobies to Rennlist are usually not aware that Google is their friend and how to find answers to FAQ like...
1. What type of oil should I use in the 996?
2. Why does my coolant look brown colored?
3. I just bought a 996 and the engine is making a loud ticking sound, should I be concerned?
4. I just bought a 996 from a local used car dealership, and started to drive it home and heard a loud boom sound. It won't start and I'm getting all the lights showing. I'm stuck at an intersection. Help!
5. Just changed my oil for the first time and I noticed lots of metal and plastic parts. Maybe I should use a different filter next time? Why would there be plastic in my filter?
6. I left my convertible top down and a storm flooded my car. It won't start and the alarm goes off. I'm currently hand-cuffed in the back of a police car. Help!
7. Was about to install a new radio and bought some new Craftsman wire clippers from Sears. I started clipping all those cute colorful wires and couldn't stop! Clip, clip, clip... it felt so good. But now the car is silent. Doesn't do anything. Can someone help? I think I may have clipped the wrong wiring harness
8. I just filled up my tank with some powerful 87 octane from Walmart, but the car is smoking like a freight train. I think my oil separator is going bad and so I ordered one from China. Can someone help me through the steps to replace?
9. I want to put some 20 inch Panamera wheels on my car. Will they work on the 996?
10. IMS failure - is this a serious problem, really?
Old 11-15-2016, 03:41 PM
Wickedgood911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've learned a great deal about my car from very knowledgeable, helpful owners and I've met a few pri€ks to balance out the bell curve.
Old 11-15-2016, 03:54 PM
Turbojamie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

#996. When my car is stored for the winter I can finally forget about the IMS issue and sleep at night.
Old 11-15-2016, 03:57 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Turbojamie
#996. When my car is stored for the winter I can finally forget about the IMS issue and sleep at night.

Or you can move south and drive it all year around! ha!

Actually, you're selling it and so... you'll still sleep at night knowing it's someone else problem now, right?

p.s. You'll miss it like crazy!
Old 11-15-2016, 09:33 PM
9964runner
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbojamie
For the winter months IMS is long forgotten as bore score would be a seasonally correct paranoia.
Old 11-16-2016, 12:47 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 333 Posts

This site has been invaluable to me...and costly, in that I've proactively addressed issues I wouldn't have without all of the hype/input found here.

I hope this is appropriate. Renntech.org is also a very valuable site and is in need of financial support to keep going. Renntech isn't the social site that Rennlist is, but they do have a tremendous amount of useful technical information. If you can contribute, please do.
Old 12-12-2016, 12:23 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

101. The M96 engine would have been sexier if Porsche had named it M69. (snicker)
Old 01-04-2017, 09:04 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Realizing that your new Porsche had been in a previous accident is like finding out that your fiancé was having sex with your best friend.

Old 01-04-2017, 06:56 PM
dereifelfahrer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That I shouldn't have joined? You guys have got me crazy changing this and that, Awwwww , but I love you. Auf Wieder.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:03 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak
Realizing that your new Porsche had been in a previous accident is like finding out that your fiancé was having sex with your best friend.
Everyone on Rennlist bumps their own threads...
Old 01-05-2017, 09:00 AM
relinuca
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default My 2cents

41. "What's my Car Worth" posters need to get a life.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:39 PM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 178 Posts

the 996 is a relatively small car, when they're painted silver it can be
very difficult to be seen
if my car is a little dirty, it just blends into the asphalt

parking lots require heightened awareness, Yukons at Target just don't see
911's
forget the idea of ever 'stopping in' at a Walmart or warehouse club
the first dent I ever got on a luxury car was at a Costco, cart just traveling 'on it's own'
Old 01-05-2017, 04:22 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

^^^amen to that man!

Walmart is worst place to park any decent car, but the 911s sit very low which gives the wal-rats a higher probability of damaging your car. I get so frustrated driving the car on interstate expressways... trucks are always changing lane without seeing me.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:33 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 305 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak
I get so frustrated driving the car on interstate expressways... trucks are always changing lane without seeing me.
This conclusion is ... false. Having driven a vehicle with the same mirror setup (and overall length) as a semi trailer, there is no difference in the ability to see a 911 as there is a Camry or really even a midsize SUV.

If trucks keep cutting you off you either are driving too fast for the conditions and you think you are getting cut off or you live in that one magical place where everyone says they live but no one does -- that place where the drivers are worse than everywhere else.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:50 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DTMiller
This conclusion is ... false. Having driven a vehicle with the same mirror setup (and overall length) as a semi trailer, there is no difference in the ability to see a 911 as there is a Camry or really even a midsize SUV.

If trucks keep cutting you off you either are driving too fast for the conditions and you think you are getting cut off or you live in that one magical place where everyone says they live but no one does -- that place where the drivers are worse than everywhere else.
Have you ever rode with a woman that likes to drive and fumble around with a cell phone? They're everywhere these days and they mostly drive big SUVs. They swiftly change lanes and in my experience, about plow all over me in those Suburbans and Expeditions. I wasn't speaking of semi trucks, but of course, I didn't clarify either. I did however, work at a truck stop during my college years and one of the most consistent things I heard was how smaller cars would hover in their trucker's blind spot. Most of the truckers were good guys, but grumpy and short on patiences with the little dogs nippin' at their rear wheels. I listened to many stories of how they would change lanes and then hear a blast of horns in sudden panic.

And...

Who says I drive too fast for conditions and how did YOU know I went to Disney huh?

Quick Reply: What have you learned since joining Rennlist?