Sponsored by:

***Install aftermarket head unit in MOST car WITHOUT removing factory amp***

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 02:05 PM
texcwa
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by a4gen2
I convinced myself that this box could not work like a Dension unit to replace the frunk CD changer and keep the original HU/amp in place as I had once hoped. So ... I bought a Transit Blu HF and couldn't be happier. $83 dollar solution (with the antenna adapters on Amazon) and a day under and behind the dash.

FM Modulators have certainly changed since I bought my first one a decade ago. The sound appears as good as the CD player IMO (reduced volume level, but ...) and the integration/operation is well thought out. You even get song title information through the HU/cluster via RDS. HF calling is simple and crystal clear. I had the added bonus of fixing the reception on my HU (the reason I started this endeavor in the first place), as I discovered during the install that the PO had left the antenna connection to the HU dangling behind the dash (probably removed their own Tranzit Blu before selling the car and forgot to plug it in!)

If you want to keep the original HU, this solution is a no-brainer IMO.

Thanks to all who replied to my earlier questions.

Steve

I did a similar approach using the following:
  • Scosche FM-MOD02 Universal Audio Input FM Modulator $36.94
  • Kinivo BTC450 Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit $34.99
  • Metra 40EU30 Antenna Adapters $$14.90
  • Mpow Ground Loop Noise Isolator $9.99 (eliminates any buzz or humming sounds)

Works great and good alternative for those with the MOST system.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:42 PM
a4gen2
Track Day

Originally Posted by texcwa
I did a similar approach using the following:
  • Scosche FM-MOD02 Universal Audio Input FM Modulator $36.94
  • Kinivo BTC450 Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit $34.99
  • Metra 40EU30 Antenna Adapters $$14.90
  • Mpow Ground Loop Noise Isolator $9.99 (eliminates any buzz or humming sounds)

Works great and good alternative for those with the MOST system.
Don't know how the Scosche unit works, but what I like about the iSimple unit is that it installs in-line with the factory antenna amp and disconnects it when Bluetooth is enabled. Dension makes a similar unit.

Steve
Old 03-20-2017, 04:35 PM
texcwa
Racer

Originally Posted by a4gen2
Don't know how the Scosche unit works, but what I like about the iSimple unit is that it installs in-line with the factory antenna amp and disconnects it when Bluetooth is enabled. Dension makes a similar unit.

Steve
The Scosche is also an inline with factory antenna but has a toggle switch that switches off the FM antenna signal so as to pass through the new source signal to radio (this eliminates any FM interference). It is set up to use a mini plug from source (phone. I pad, ect) only so this is why I use in conjunction with the Bluetooth kit so that I have both Bluetooth and the mini plug.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:50 PM
a4gen2
Track Day

Originally Posted by texcwa
The Scosche is also an inline with factory antenna but has a toggle switch that switches off the FM antenna signal so as to pass through the new source signal to radio (this eliminates any FM interference). It is set up to use a mini plug from source (phone. I pad, ect) only so this is why I use in conjunction with the Bluetooth kit so that I have both Bluetooth and the mini plug.
Got it.

I had a mini-plug I routed to the glove box of my A4 with a Parrot BT kit, but found I always connected via BT and never used the plug, so not having one with the Tranzit box wasn't a problem for me.

Steve
Old 03-20-2017, 10:38 PM
clubracer6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnCA58
If your talking about the ACC wire, it goes to the orange wire on the ignition switch, be sure to add a fuse holder with a 5 amp fuse to it close to the ignition switch, this will allow the head unit to stay on till key is removed. If your talking about the Alpine head unit power wire (yellow) there is a live 12 volt wire at the radio connection, I didn't pay attention to that because I used CAI harness plug and play harness they make, bought the kit for 45 dollars which included the antenna adapter also. plus no cutting into the P-car harness. https://cai-store.com/collections/al...ant=3737574725
Looks like this is all you need now,right??
Old 04-09-2017, 06:30 PM
dblvanos
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered the most adaptor, it showed up about ten days after I ordered.

Today got around to doing the instal, anyone else get a "pop" through the speakers when you turn car off and remove key from the ignition?
Old 04-09-2017, 08:33 PM
dblvanos
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another question.

I hooked the metra harness up without connecting the powered speaker lines from the head unit to the metra harness going to the car. From what others have said the MOST lines are carrying the singnal to the amp.

However I realize some of you are using the CAI harness, and assume from the pictures I have seen online that they have connected the powered lines from the head unit to the metra harness to the car.

Any reason I should connect the powered head unit lines in addition to the MOST converter?

I'll be free later tonight to try both ways, just wondering if anyone else has already ventured down this?
Old 04-10-2017, 07:59 AM
Turbojamie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't use the harness ground, ground everything to one of the 10mm module bolts down at the bottom of the stack.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:44 PM
mrzoop
deviated
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

'03 C4S - I took the plunge and ordered one of the digital to analog MOST translator boxes from China. I do not have the Bose system and absolutely could not stand the output of the CDR23. I figured the worst that could happen is that it would not work and I'd have to build everything from scratch, anyway. Surprise! After a few weeks the box arrived. I got in touch with Rod at CAI to discuss my options. I was looking for multiple rear USB ports and chose the single Din Kenwood X701, though the Alpine was a close second. After speaking with Rod, he suggested that I send him the mystery box and he'd configure a custom wiring harness. Holy smokes, I jumped at the chance. After a week or two, everything arrived and was ready for installation. I also purchased one of the $20 MEGA interior removal tool sets from amazon. The initial installation had a few stumbles along the way. All of the issues that I had were my own dumb fault, as I mis-wired one of the lines out of the box. The system worked fine for about an hour, then nothing. Of course I had to de-install the new stuff and reinstall the original HU to test what blew. The original stuff worked fine. Then spent the night doing more research and found the solution. There's an unused phone connector in the bottom of the center column just under the cubby box (4 wires with female plug). The female plug has a green/blk (switched) wire that is the perfect solution for the spare wire (of the three) coming out of the Chinese Most box. The third installation took about an hour and WOW it's impressive and worth the small expense. Keep in mind, that I'm using the original speakers so nothing state of the art here. But it does CRANK and sounds about 50% better than the original system. Sound quality is below average by any modern standard, but it's passable and for less than $400 I get modern connectivity and pretty good sound. Really, just what I was looking for. Thanks to Rod from CAI, this was as close to a simple plug and go as I could hope to find.

Green/Blk wire in Phone plug

MOST interface box wrapped in anti-rattle.

Last edited by mrzoop; 04-20-2017 at 05:36 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:17 PM
Luch
Instructor

MrZoop, thanks for the pictures and great explanation. That helps me when I finally get started...just thinking up of what type of receiver for the double DIN route.

Chris
Old 05-03-2017, 10:03 AM
Perpixel
3rd Gear

Did anyone do this in a 987 Cayman?

I ran a ACC 12v cable from my fuse box to the console then connected the B+ and Ground to the headunit harness. (did try to ground on a 10mm bolt too)

Problem is now if I touch the RCA connector with my finger I can hear noise from the speaker and just trying to plug my phone in make a loud bang in the speaker.

Feel like the signal sent from the device is way to strong. So really concern its going to blow up something...

thanks
Old 06-11-2017, 04:45 PM
Mike Dodd
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

if you are getting a loud pop you need to purchase a ground loop isolator for the RCAs. They are inexpensive.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:51 PM
Mike Dodd
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The Longate MOST HUR Aux convertor box was on sale today so I said what the heck. I ordered it knowing its going to take a month to get here.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/RCA-...708723316.html

If it works out I'll let everyone know. No rush as the Alpine wireless CarPlay receiver is still delayed due to Apple not allowing Alpine to release it, so I'm in the pre-order queue.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:57 AM
hybridporky
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Bought this box directly from Aliexpress.

But my installer was unable to get it to work, despite all the proper wiring/grounding of the box, the music kept cutting in and out. We eventually went with the Alpine Amp solution, which was wiring all existing speakers to a new AMP.

I am not sure if it was just installed incorrectly, but i have a box for sale, and am willing to do the following in good faith.

Terms:
1. Whoever wants the box will pay for shipping.
2. If the box doesn't work for them, then maybe send it to CAI? and see if they can fix it? (I saw a post above here about someone who sent it to Rob at CAI for some custom wiring) If not, throw it away.
3. Should the box work, paypal me $50. (Honor System).

I paid $144.48 for this box with express shipping.

Send me an IM for whomever is interested. Pics of box to follow.
Attached Images   
Old 06-29-2017, 12:07 PM
Turbojamie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hybridporky
Bought this box directly from Aliexpress.

But my installer was unable to get it to work, despite all the proper wiring/grounding of the box, the music kept cutting in and out. We eventually went with the Alpine Amp solution, which was wiring all existing speakers to a new AMP.

I am not sure if it was just installed incorrectly, but i have a box for sale, and am willing to do the following in good faith.

Terms:
1. Whoever wants the box will pay for shipping.
2. If the box doesn't work for them, then maybe send it to CAI? and see if they can fix it? (I saw a post above here about someone who sent it to Rob at CAI for some custom wiring) If not, throw it away.
3. Should the box work, paypal me $50. (Honor System).

I paid $144.48 for this box with express shipping.

Send me an IM for whomever is interested. Pics of box to follow.

You / he was most likely "clipping" the factory amp by having the gain set to high on whatever output you were using. Was it hooked to a head unit or was it hooked to an iphone etc??? IF the output was not set to balanced on the iphone it could cause issues a some songs are encoded at different volume levels.

I did experience this with the original box which I started the thread with when the car was hooked directly to an ipad / iphone and the balanced output was not selected. If however it was setup correctly you could exceeded cleanly the factory sound level.

Quick Reply: ***Install aftermarket head unit in MOST car WITHOUT removing factory amp***