Sponsored by:

***Install aftermarket head unit in MOST car WITHOUT removing factory amp***

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 01:01 PM
3loosh theking
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No sound on most

I have no sound. . When I disconnect the fiber optic cable I can see a blinking read light from the converter and also at the other end of the cable in the frunk. I don't recall if the light is supposed to blink or should be constant. Ideas on how to confirm if it's my amp that is he problem? I did hook both the yellow and red wires to switched power, could that be the issue?
Old 09-22-2018, 01:18 PM
ilikebigbumpers
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 3loosh theking
I have no sound. . When I disconnect the fiber optic cable I can see a blinking read light from the converter and also at the other end of the cable in the frunk. I don't recall if the light is supposed to blink or should be constant. Ideas on how to confirm if it's my amp that is he problem? I did hook both the yellow and red wires to switched power, could that be the issue?
this can happen if you are still using factory radio. to test your amp, wait 5 mins after pulling the key out of ignition, then connect both wires on the most box to constant power.
Old 11-29-2018, 05:26 PM
montauk
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked at the Aliexpress link and found that it's now for 2005-2012 Porsche's. I've got an 04 C4S so did they change something? Looks like it's not for any 996.

On the other hand, is it really that much more work to just put in a new amp and be done with that ridiculous MOST nonsense. I know I'll be spending more but the install doesn't look like much more work to me. I know I'll have to run some wires from the HU to the amp but can't I reuse all of the speaker wiring? I'm not an audio nut. I just want decent quality sound at modest sound levels. I think I'll go with a double din and move the HVAC controls down low. I'm not sure about that.

Driving this C4S with the radio off is always a great option too.

Thanks
Dave
Old 11-29-2018, 06:06 PM
bplein
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by montauk
On the other hand, is it really that much more work to just put in a new amp and be done with that ridiculous MOST nonsense. I know I'll be spending more but the install doesn't look like much more work to me. I know I'll have to run some wires from the HU to the amp but can't I reuse all of the speaker wiring?
My understanding is that the Bose speakers have some ridiculously low impedance so unless you use an amp that can drive that low impedance (at or under 2 Ohms) then you need to replace the speakers as well. You could probably keep the speaker wiring intact (low impedance means high current so the wires are probably OK). But I've seen something that says you'd need new speaker wiring too, which I don't understand unless they are doing something crazy there too.

Old 07-29-2019, 09:38 PM
POINTBREAK
2nd Gear

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Turbojamie
Gentlemen years have gone by with NO solution to installing an aftermarket head unit into an 03+ Porsche without the need to remove the factory amp and add all kinds of aftermarket wiring, etc to make it work. Well NO MORE!!! I took a stab at trying this RCA to MOST fiber optic converter and it WORKS. Now you can install an aftermarket head unit into an 03+ 996 and retain the stock amp.

This is HUGE IMO and no one has done it that I know of so far.

I will edit this post as I am going to now remove the ipad and install a double din head unit for testing, as well as provide the link to purchase the box. It was $127.00 Canadian shipped to me and I had it in 3 days from Hong Kong. I did pay an additional $20 customs.

Porsche 996 rca to most fiber optic converter - YouTube
Hi, trying to install a ipad to my Porsche Cayenne 2006 Did you manage to get the steering wheel buttons working with the ipad ? If yes please share how you did that.
Many thanks
Old 07-30-2019, 08:11 AM
montauk
Instructor

Why bother with it? You're still stuck with that silly amp. It really isn't that much wiring to just replace the amp too.

Originally Posted by Turbojamie
Gentlemen years have gone by with NO solution to installing an aftermarket head unit into an 03+ Porsche without the need to remove the factory amp and add all kinds of aftermarket wiring, etc to make it work. Well NO MORE!!! I took a stab at trying this RCA to MOST fiber optic converter and it WORKS. Now you can install an aftermarket head unit into an 03+ 996 and retain the stock amp.

This is HUGE IMO and no one has done it that I know of so far.

I will edit this post as I am going to now remove the ipad and install a double din head unit for testing, as well as provide the link to purchase the box. It was $127.00 Canadian shipped to me and I had it in 3 days from Hong Kong. I did pay an additional $20 customs.

Porsche 996 rca to most fiber optic converter - YouTube
Old 07-30-2019, 08:51 AM
POINTBREAK
2nd Gear

Default How to control iPad from steering wheel buttons

Thanks for you quick reply...
The fiber optics is not really my problem I have worked that out as with the suggested connector above and the sound works perfect with the Bose I want to have the steering controls using the iPad I want to add.First I replaced it with an aftermarket Android unit didn't seem fast enough and the screen wasn't brilliant so I want to connect an iPad please advise how to get the controls over the steering wheel.
Old 08-07-2019, 03:47 AM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 399 Likes on 297 Posts

Bose speakers get their punch from low resistance,, and high current.
they also have a fairly high threshold before they start to hit any power.

The original speaker wire is probably fine ,, If the amp your using can handle the
range of the speakers..

I have a 03 so I'm chasing the specs too..

I think its almost a certainty I'll need a separate amp(s) because I cant find a head unit anywhere
so far that seems to have the specs to drive the factory speakers and I am just not going to do a 3K package..
Old 08-07-2019, 10:03 AM
thebowl
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The wiring from the power amp to the Bose speakers is perfectly serviceable, but you will need to wire the rear bandpass drivers (aka subwoofers) in series, to get the resistance to match up to just about any power amp I found on the market 3 years ago. This assumes you replace the power amp. I would not dream of upgrading the head unit but leaving the stock power amp in place.

Edit - I typed "amperage", when the issue obviously is resistance, not amperage. The subwoofer output on most power amp is 4 ohms, IIRC, whereas the rear bandpass driver are each 2 ohm, hence the need to wire the in series. And it is NOT a Bose amp, I am reasonably certain.

Last edited by thebowl; 08-08-2019 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:29 PM
BMiller33
Advanced

For 2003+ 996 w/ Bose speakers and amp no NAV you can get by via SEICANE unit PN 11607101-2 Model SC69. Web says it is for Cayenne but I confirmed it will work on 996. I am in-process of install.
Old 08-08-2019, 03:54 AM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 399 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by BMiller33
For 2003+ 996 w/ Bose speakers and amp no NAV you can get by via SEICANE unit PN 11607101-2 Model SC69. Web says it is for Cayenne but I confirmed it will work on 996. I am in-process of install.
"I don't subscribe to threads often,, but when I do its for the important things.. " - The most interesting man in the world

The following users liked this post:
BMiller33 (08-08-2019)
Old 08-08-2019, 10:31 AM
RSBro
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 89 Posts

Glad this thread resurfaced, as I need to read through it... I have 03 C4S, Bose, MOST, Nav. So, basically screwed lol.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:35 AM
some14all
3rd Gear

Default 2003 C4S

Originally Posted by BMiller33
So I have same car, 2003 C4S and my HU is double din pcm 2.0 with Bose and it has NAV, would seicane part work? Not sure why having a NAV would make this part not applicable if it worked for you? My fiber optics cable has a black end connector that itself (the connector) can be de-assembled into a smaller two orange cables with small black connector that should fit in the seicane MOST, did you have to do the same?
Old 09-10-2019, 11:18 PM
tyeske
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Take a look at the thread - Double din stereo suggestions?

I have an 03 C4S that had a single din cdr 220. I put in a Pioneer double din with Apple CarPlay and love it. I ordered the most converter from Amazon for Mercedes Benz and it works great. There are 2 versions. I have the Xtrons optical fiber head unit for ML/ GL / R series. I installed it in June and have been enjoying it all summer. I read somewhere the other MB version may not work.

I’m still using the factory Bose amp and speakers. So you definitely have some options.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:57 AM
BMiller33
Advanced

Originally Posted by some14all
So I have same car, 2003 C4S and my HU is double din pcm 2.0 with Bose and it has NAV, would seicane part work? Not sure why having a NAV would make this part not applicable if it worked for you? My fiber optics cable has a black end connector that itself (the connector) can be de-assembled into a smaller two orange cables with small black connector that should fit in the seicane MOST, did you have to do the same?
It might work w OEM NAV setup, I was just stating what my car had. You'd be best to just call them and ask or do some forum searches.

Quick Reply: ***Install aftermarket head unit in MOST car WITHOUT removing factory amp***