Sponsored by:

***Install aftermarket head unit in MOST car WITHOUT removing factory amp***

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 10:19 AM
D6lc
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

So I apologize for a dumb question, clearly audio isn’t my strong point

With the RCA adapter, can you run audio from your phone through the adapter and remove the head unit completely?

Local radio here is mind numbing, I like the idea of a consol delete and take the head unit out as well.

Any feedback appreciated
Old 08-06-2018, 01:55 PM
chr
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, you can. That's what I did making sure it worked. I plugged my iPod directly into the MOST analog to digital box using RCA adapter.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:00 PM
D6lc
Pro

Originally Posted by chr
Yes, you can. That's what I did making sure it worked. I plugged my iPod directly into the MOST analog to digital box using RCA adapter.
How did you find the sound quality?, was it acceptable?

I'm not looking for perfect sound (I like the sound of the engine more!), I don't use the car for really long trips but listening to Sirius is about all mi after, so piping it through my phone would be perfect.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:15 PM
chr
AutoX

I just used the iPod directly to make sure the MOST box was working, not while running the car so I don't want to mislead you. However, the sound quality I felt was much better than stock and I'm very happy with my aftermarket head unit that has all the bells and whistles :-)
Old 08-08-2018, 12:08 PM
JohnCA58
Rennlist Member

Received 362 Likes on 228 Posts

Sound quality was better than stock on my car, I am using Alpine HU, and mostly Pandora. luv the blue tooth to use the hand free phone
Old 08-08-2018, 12:42 PM
D6lc
Pro

Originally Posted by JohnCA58
Sound quality was better than stock on my car, I am using Alpine HU, and mostly Pandora. luv the blue tooth to use the hand free phone
Thanks for the info, I was asked in reference to the sound quality of connecting direct to the adapter without a head unit. I'd like to run a system without a head unit if I can
Old 08-14-2018, 06:17 PM
adam smith
Track Day

I am getting a loud pop everytime I turn off the ignition and remove the key. Can anyone advice.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:58 AM
Turbojamie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by adam smith
I am getting a loud pop everytime I turn off the ignition and remove the key. Can anyone advice.
Could be your ground, or the converter box when it powers off there is a voltage spike. You could also try changing your power source.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:59 AM
Turbojamie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by D6lc
Thanks for the info, I was asked in reference to the sound quality of connecting direct to the adapter without a head unit. I'd like to run a system without a head unit if I can
Sound quality with no head unit is just as good. If you have a good mixer program on your ipad / android device you can tune the system very well, even better than a head unit can produce in some cases. The RCA signal will be no better / worse coming form a HU vs a tablet / phone.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:43 PM
adam smith
Track Day

Originally Posted by Turbojamie
Could be your ground, or the converter box when it powers off there is a voltage spike. You could also try changing your power source.
I am getting the power from ignition orange wire as mentioned in this tutorial https://cai-store.com/pages/911-boxs...din-conversion . Also I am using ground from harness, I have also tried grounding it to the chassis directly and it still pops. What would be another good source for switched power?

I have tried two MOST boxes and two head units and pop is still happening.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:46 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

I am getting the power from ignition orange wire as mentioned in this tutorial https://cai-store.com/pages/911-boxs...din-conversion . Also I am using ground from harness, I have also tried grounding it to the chassis directly and it still pops. What would be another good source for switched power?

I've read on some other threads that a good source for switched and constant 12V power is the OEM phone plug located underneath center shelf compartment.
Old 08-31-2018, 12:27 PM
ilikebigbumpers
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here is a good way to isolate the source of the pop. remember, you dont need a headunit NOR switched power to drive the amp. so get a rca to 3.5mm adapter from ebay, and a phone/tablet/mp3 player. connect the phone/tablet/mp3 player to the most box, and see if you still have the pop. you can also change up the power source (connect both power wires on th box to constant or both to switched) and ground source (from telephone harness or bolt from bottom of stack).
Old 08-31-2018, 01:23 PM
BoulderGeek
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been away from this topic since I bought my Cayman, two years ago. I was under the impression that the $695 MOST/HUR interface was the only way to not have to replace all of the speakers in a Bose setup.
Just came across this thread, today. I like the idea of being able to restore the car to factory, without any cut OEM harness issues. I wouldn't mind dumping the Bose fibre amp, but having to replace all of the low-impedence speakers is just one step too far.

I bought the Longate MOST adapter from Aliexpress, chaining their coupons, for a delivered cost of $88. For that, I can experiment and not be too bent out of shape if it fails to work.
Old 08-31-2018, 04:10 PM
ilikebigbumpers
Advanced

Originally Posted by BoulderGeek
I've been away from this topic since I bought my Cayman, two years ago. I was under the impression that the $695 MOST/HUR interface was the only way to not have to replace all of the speakers in a Bose setup.
Just came across this thread, today. I like the idea of being able to restore the car to factory, without any cut OEM harness issues. I wouldn't mind dumping the Bose fibre amp, but having to replace all of the low-impedence speakers is just one step too far.

I bought the Longate MOST adapter from Aliexpress, chaining their coupons, for a delivered cost of $88. For that, I can experiment and not be too bent out of shape if it fails to work.
lemme know if you end up needing a 3 way fiber optic splice. i got an extra one from my install that i've been trying to get rid of.
Old 08-31-2018, 05:29 PM
ilikebigbumpers
Advanced

[double click, oops]

Quick Reply: ***Install aftermarket head unit in MOST car WITHOUT removing factory amp***