Sponsored by:

not getting in 996 again

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 10:36 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,902 Likes on 1,039 Posts

Grtz,

You're going to have to replace your alarm/immobilizer modules and have Porsche reprogram them to new feyfobs. It's not going to be cheap. And, just purchasing used modules on the internet will not make your Porsche start again.

IMHO, this car has a bunch of issues, but what appears to be the main issue is that the car is in "lock-down" mode either because someone locked/armed the car remotely and the battery went dead (which puts the car in immobilizer mode) or the obvious... the alarm module has been bathing in water deteriorating to the point of non-functioning. Without a working (authenticated to your car) alarm module, the car's ECU will not allow the car to start. Period.

Again, you're going to have to tow the car to a Porsche service center and have them replace and program a new alarm/immobilizer module. Trying to do this yourself is a dead-end road.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:39 AM
krikke_s2000
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are the windows also controlled from that module and is there any way to unlock the doors without the module

grtz kristof
Old 07-07-2016, 10:43 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by krikke_s2000
are the windows also controlled from that module and is there any way to unlock the doors without the module

grtz kristof

It's my understanding that when the car's alarm is in lock-down mode (i.e. immobilized) the windows will not work.

You won't be able to start the car until the alarm module is replaced and authenticated to the car's ECU. This is usually done by a Porsche service center or indies that have access to iPass systems.

You may want to contact - CDR786, he has experience reprogramming alarm modules for the 996:

https://rennlist.com/forums/members/77119-cbr786.html
Old 07-07-2016, 10:56 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Get it into the Porsche people. They will put things right for you.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:56 AM
krikke_s2000
Track Day

ok this is gonna be costly for the owners not my car
can a used module be used or only a new one
Old 07-07-2016, 11:27 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by krikke_s2000

grtz kristof
Yes, it's all routed through the immobilizer. I've been through this exact same thing.

Here are your options:

1. Get "unlocked"(unarmed state) used alarm module and have an "expert" program new keyheads, ecu, and pills to it.

2. Live without remote functions and alarm by bypassing the immobilizer which involves reprogramming the main ECU to not look at it.

3. Buy entire used immobilizer set(immobilizer, keys, main ecu, locks) Technically, you don't need the locks and can transfer the pill/keyhead over to your existing keys. You just need to make sure you get the right ecu for your car.

4. The most expensive would be take it to the dealer and get all new items.

If this was a flood victim, would your car insurance cover it by chance?

The Immobilizer is in the dumbest position possible. Don't know what the engineers were thinking.
There's a retrofit case that will guard against these types of thing for the same worry warts that get the usual stuff done(ims, ltt, fav oil, etc). This might be something peeps can look into if this is another thing that will keep them up at night.

http://www.ecudoctors.com/porsche-99...enclosure.html
Old 07-07-2016, 11:30 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

^^I was about to recommend Alpine's advice! Glad him chimed in on this subject from personal experience.

Good advice buddy!!!
Old 07-07-2016, 11:31 AM
krikke_s2000
Track Day

not my car friends of my girlfriend bought in germany my guess wrecked and fixed with foreing parts

grtz kristof
Old 07-07-2016, 11:34 AM
krikke_s2000
Track Day

obd plug right side of the car ??
alarm under passenger seat ??
when taking the seat out a 2pond coin fel out
and in the trunkl lots of all blaack wires in the loom

grtz kristof
Old 07-07-2016, 11:40 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

^^Sounds like you have mess on your hands. Why in the world did you take on this project?
Old 07-07-2016, 11:49 AM
krikke_s2000
Track Day

i like a litlle challange i found a way to close te windows with a bridge in the pug from the alarm
but i would love to unlock the doors anyone have an idea

grtz kristof
Old 07-07-2016, 11:54 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

(falling out of chair) You're doing what? Soldering a bridge on the alarm module's multi-pin plug?? Am I interpreting that right?

Well, sounds like you're going down the dangerous road of rigging the car to function instead of using proper steps; therefore, I can't you help you. You're on your own.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:29 PM
Dirty Bird 15
Advanced

Hey guys,
Came across this thread and just wanted to piggy back off of the OP as I have a similar issue. I'll be honest as I have not done much research other than speaking with my local porsche dealer. My issue is with a 2004 996 GT3. The functions on the key do not work. I have to open and lock my car the old fashion way and if I do not start the car within 10 seconds, the alarm goes off. Everything else works just fine. Car starts, radio, windows etc... The mechanics at the dealership mentioned that it might be the immobilizer, similar to what the OP has. I have not looked at it but I would not think it is completely fried although that waterproof kit looks like a solid investment. And FWIW, the key fob lights up fine so I do not believe the battery in the key fob is dead either. Would appreciate any insight that may help with the issue, otherwise it could be an expensive day at Porsche haha.
Regards,
Tomek
Old 07-07-2016, 12:33 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Dirty Bird 15
Hey guys,
Came across this thread and just wanted to piggy back off of the OP as I have a similar issue. I'll be honest as I have not done much research other than speaking with my local porsche dealer. My issue is with a 2004 996 GT3. The functions on the key do not work. I have to open and lock my car the old fashion way and if I do not start the car within 10 seconds, the alarm goes off. Everything else works just fine. Car starts, radio, windows etc... The mechanics at the dealership mentioned that it might be the immobilizer, similar to what the OP has. I have not looked at it but I would not think it is completely fried although that waterproof kit looks like a solid investment. And FWIW, the key fob lights up fine so I do not believe the battery in the key fob is dead either. Would appreciate any insight that may help with the issue, otherwise it could be an expensive day at Porsche haha.
Regards,
Tomek
Thanks for you input Tomek.

Question - If your alarm starts going off because you didn't get into the car in time to start it, what do you do then? Are you able to dis-arm it or are you screwed?
Old 07-07-2016, 12:57 PM
Dirty Bird 15
Advanced

Smile

Originally Posted by b3freak
Thanks for you input Tomek.

Question - If your alarm starts going off because you didn't get into the car in time to start it, what do you do then? Are you able to dis-arm it or are you screwed?
When the alarm goes off, I just turn on the ignition and alarm goes off. She starts right up with no issues. I wonder if she is just training me for those running starts at the old le mans races ha.

I did come across the 996 common issues thread
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...working-3.html

Tried removing the battery for a couple of minutes and putting it in backwards. Both methods did not work. I only got one key when I bought the car. I will buy a new battery to eliminate all possible options before going to the dealer. These cars do have a lot of character.

Quick Reply: not getting in 996 again