996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Fisters installed... dissapointed

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 11:41 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

FWIW, I would call Fister's a great DD exhaust. They're relatively quiet when cruising and only makes the kind of noise you want when you really rev it or get on it. Best of both worlds IMO.

Some guys expect it to be race car loud all the time including idle and speeding up to 30mph on a neighborhood street and with Fister's that's simply not the case.

Also, the noise level will be different depending on the size of the crossover hole and pipe installed.

What size pipe do you have?
Old 06-29-2016, 11:46 AM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts

Here is what mine sounds like with the Fister exhaust. There is no mistaking it for stock. At AX, when most of the modern Pcars go by all you hear is wind noise!

Windows up:

Windows down:
Old 06-29-2016, 12:03 PM
Turbojamie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003
FWIW, I would call Fister's a great DD exhaust. They're relatively quiet when cruising and only makes the kind of noise you want when you really rev it or get on it. Best of both worlds IMO.

Some guys expect it to be race car loud all the time including idle and speeding up to 30mph on a neighborhood street and with Fister's that's simply not the case.

Also, the noise level will be different depending on the size of the crossover hole and pipe installed.

What size pipe do you have?
I agree on it being a great DD exhaust. I had a C6 vette before the vacuum actuated butterflies and I purchased about 4 different exhausts for it. They all sounded great at idle and on it but cruising was drone and reverb city! My 996 with the fister mod sounds muscular at idle and when ripping but on the highway is almost exhaust silent! I love it.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:16 PM
ACE51
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

love my fister exhaust! Best most cost effective mod IMO. Cracking the sunroof really lets the noise in AND you get all that extra downforce :P
Old 06-29-2016, 01:06 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

I thin you got Fisted instead Fistered! Are you sure those mufflers are not bone stock OEs?
Old 06-29-2016, 03:04 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
I thin you got Fisted instead Fistered! Are you sure those mufflers are not bone stock OEs?
Vandersmith is legit and has detailed every purchase in his mod thread and backed it up with pictures and video.

OP, sounds like to me you are driving with your windows up or you foot not buried in the throttle. For either one, shame on you!
Old 06-29-2016, 03:14 PM
vandersmith
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This is what my car sounded like with them on at the track (and a K&N intake at the time) from a few different camera angles:

Old 06-29-2016, 03:37 PM
vandersmith
Pro

These are the exact mufflers I sent from my build thread, I'll admit I am a little confused about the differences between Fister/Gundo. Seems the terms get used interchangeably.

One installs small pipe between the inlet and outlet so that some exhaust bypasses. This is proper Fister and a hack these guys pioneered.

The latter, or Gundo, opens the normally closed second outlet on the top port of the stock mufflers thats opened with a valve on the models with PSE.

I went with the Gundo and incorrectly termed it as Fister (my bad) but I was happy with it, the car sounded great.

That being said, even with current my full exhaust system (which is loud at WOT) I still can't really hear the exhaust in the car over the intake unless I'm near the track wall or revving in the pits to warm the engine up.

Old 06-29-2016, 03:48 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm thinking the OP thought he was getting the actual Fister. Did you advertise them as Fister? Or gundo?
Old 06-29-2016, 04:00 PM
vandersmith
Pro

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
I'm thinking the OP thought he was getting the actual Fister. Did you advertise them as Fister? Or gundo?
It was a pretty simple conversation. He mentioned he was looking for something to make the exhaust louder. I mentioned I had a set for cheap that were just lying in my garage.

I could have clarified further I suppose but again they sounded great on mine and the price was cheaper than having them done or sent in. Didn't even think about it.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:35 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by vandersmith
These are the exact mufflers I sent from my build thread, I'll admit I am a little confused about the differences between Fister/Gundo. Seems the terms get used interchangeably.

One installs small pipe between the inlet and outlet so that some exhaust bypasses. This is proper Fister and a hack these guys pioneered.

The latter, or Gundo, opens the normally closed second outlet on the top port of the stock mufflers thats opened with a valve on the models with PSE.

I went with the Gundo and incorrectly termed it as Fister (my bad) but I was happy with it, the car sounded great.
This clears it up. The Fisters are definitely more noticeable(louder) than the Gundo's so the OP was probably underwhelmed by it thinking he had Fister modded cans.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:12 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

No way these are real Fisters... I can tell the difference 1/2 mile away between them and stock!
Old 06-29-2016, 07:56 PM
kmagnuss
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Not fisters... that's a gundo hack.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:08 PM
babylonboots
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Before Fisters, my cab sounded like a Honda civic. Afterwards, it has the true Porsche sound that I expected when I purchased a Porsche. I've had mine for 5 years and love the sound.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:28 PM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 178 Posts

this is the fix

Quick Reply: Fisters installed... dissapointed