Sponsored by:

Schematics with P/Ns...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 01:31 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Schematics with P/Ns...

When I brought my car in for service in December (right before I put it away for the Winter), I had my car in for normal service and also asked the dealer to check for a bad smell that had just started coming from the HVAC vent earlier in the week. It turned out that a field mouse made a nest in the pollen filter. When I got it home I prepped it for storage and attached the battery tender. I finally had a chance to pull it out last week and when I pulled the battery tender off I noticed that the screw that typically holds the plastic shroud to the left of the battery cover was missing. I'm guessing they forgot to reinstall it after dealing with the mouse crap. Does anyone know where I can find a schematic to determine the P/N for the missing screw? I don't believe it's one of the plastic fasteners and, to be clear, the two fasteners that are attached to the plastic battery cover are in tact.

-Eric
Old 04-29-2016, 01:41 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

is looking for a same sized screw from a hardware store an option?

found below using GOOGLE (it is from Pelican parts)

Old 04-29-2016, 01:51 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

I almost felt stupid posting the original ask and, no, I don't need a Porsche branded screw but I have no idea what sized screw I'm actually looking for. lol I'm actually going to be across the street from my dealer next week. I could probably stop by and ask them, too. I just didn't want to make such a big deal over a screw.

And, thanks, but it's not in that pic. When you open the frunk and look at the area below the windshield, it's all plastic, right? That's what I'm talking about. One of the screws that hold the plastic down is missing. I searched around a bit before posting. I can easily find schematics around the major parts but just haven' seen the one I'm looking for.

-Eric
Old 04-29-2016, 01:54 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sue Esponte
When you open the frunk and look at the area below the windshield, it's all plastic, right? That's what I'm talking about. One of the screws that hold the plastic down is missing. I searched around a bit before posting. I can easily find schematics around the major parts but just haven' seen the one I'm looking for.

-Eric
is the screw in the pic below (also from Pelican parts): NOTE: if you have motorcycle parts store nearby, they might have the plastic twist/turn fasteners you are looking for

Old 04-29-2016, 01:58 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

It's the other side...but I can probably use that to dig further. Would you mind posting the link to that shot? It's probably the same kind of bolt that's in the middle of the shroud on driver's side. Thanks! I'll do more searching on Pelican's site!!

-Eric
Old 04-29-2016, 02:00 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-parts/hardparts.php?dir=996-99-05&section=813-20

The screw for left and right are the same. The part list also has the right side parts.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:03 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Would you mind posting the link to that shot? It's probably the same kind of bolt that's in the middle of the shroud on driver's side. Thanks! I'll do more searching on Pelican's site!!

-Eric
I used my car's info (i.e. 02, C2, cab, tip) to pull up the schematic (may be the same or different from yours).

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...ELCHRG_pg2.htm
Old 04-29-2016, 02:24 PM
tharbin
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eric,

If you look at the autoatlanta link you were sent I assume you are looking at part #12 the screw on the plastic panel that covers the particle filter area (they don't show both covers but the screws are identical. If it is part #12, as a hint, I would also pick up a spare of part #13. The "nut" for that screw. It is a rubber plug with a metal insert. When you tighten the screw it pulls up on the metal plug expanding the rubber to "lock" the screw. They wear out or dry up over time and sometimes it is worn enough that no amount of screwing in will tighten the plug. Then you just leave out the screw, Both parts are cheap and get left out often. I keep a spare of each in my garage.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:35 PM
kromdom
Drifting

looks part #12 is NOT plastic

and the rubber plug...yowza, $4.41 for this lil thang

Old 04-29-2016, 02:47 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,144 Likes on 735 Posts

I almost felt stupid posting the original ask and, no, I don't need a Porsche branded screw but I have no idea what sized screw I'm actually looking for. lol I'm actually going to be across the street from my dealer next week. I could probably stop by and ask them, too. I just didn't want to make such a big deal over a screw.

And, thanks, but it's not in that pic. When you open the frunk and look at the area below the windshield, it's all plastic, right? That's what I'm talking about. One of the screws that hold the plastic down is missing. I searched around a bit before posting. I can easily find schematics around the major parts but just haven' seen the one I'm looking for.

-Eric
Suggestion - pull the screw from the other side and head to the local Ace Hardware store (or Lowes or Home Depot)...buy two SS screws that match along with a nice washer and you are done.
Old 04-29-2016, 03:02 PM
tharbin
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you just want a generic screw you don't need to pull the other one. It tells you in the parts diagrams the specs for the screw. It is an M5 x 29, and it has a captured washer.
Old 04-29-2016, 03:46 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys! I appreciate all of the help!

-Eric
Old 04-29-2016, 06:25 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 785 Likes on 503 Posts

Ahsai and Krom: Just want to add my "Thanks" as well! The rubber thread thing in my car is shot and now I know where to get it...even if it costs north of $4.00! In fact, per Tharbin, some spares as well.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:39 AM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

So, the story continues. I'm wondering how many nuts and bolts my dealer decided not to reinstall after servicing my car. When I got the car back I notice the oil pan skid plate looked a little cockeyed but, in all honesty, I wasn't sure whether I was just imagining things or if I misremembered the way it previously looked. Got a closer look today and sure enough they didn't install on of the bolts! WTF?

-Eric
Old 05-31-2016, 02:31 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 109 Posts

Mine was a dealer "maintained" car that had all of the clips missing from the front plastic underbelly cover. It just had the four nuts holding it on. Just goes to show you don't always get what you pay for.

Quick Reply: Schematics with P/Ns...