Sponsored by:

Need help- potential purchase 01 Aero C4

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 10:57 PM
ancientsanskrit
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help- potential purchase 01 Aero C4

Hey guys. Been a long-time searcher on rennlist, but needed some direction on a potential acquisition.

Vehicle: 2001 911 C4 Aero
Mileage: 51,000
Asking: $22,000

Had a chance to test drive the vehicle this afternoon. Felt very good. No anomalies in driving sensation. Anyways, had some basic questions if you can help.

1.) Vehicle came with a PPI from March 2016 from a Porsche dealership. Do all dealerships do a over-rev analysis? The seller did not have this and noted it never came with it. That seemed odd to me. I plan to contact dealership tomorrow to see.

2.) PPI noted chain case seepage. However, I couldn't note anything as the seller had powerwashed the engine and underbody (suspicious to me). I gave it some heavy foot and oil pressure held at 5 barr and returned back to 3. Seemed normal.

3.) PPI noted PSM off and ABS light on while driving. However, seller noted that dealership cleared ABS/PSM and replaced battery and it never came back. I didn't see it while test drive.

4.) Accident. Car had an accident, no salvage in title, however there is impact damage on the L/R undershield and it was noted in Carfax. Unfortunately, this is the 4th owner and accident occurred with 1st owner and there are no records on hand other than PPI and Carfax.

With all that said, it's a pretty car, right options, felt strong. I'm curious to hear about your thoughts on the price point or anything I mentioned that would make you walk away. I'm still learning about the 996. Was thinking of a TT, but this price point is pretty convincing.

I plan to do a PPI unless you suggest me otherwise.

Thanks!
Old 04-17-2016, 11:20 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 116 Posts

It's really important to find a car that you can get a maintenance history on. Knowing how it's been cared for and what has been replaced is huge. It's recommended by some that you change the AOS and water pump every 3 years, the IMS retrofit every 5, and you need to know if the RMS has been done. You can easily spend 5k right off the bat (unless you are doing the work yourself) just to get the basics up to date. It's all a matter of odds but these cars can cost a whole lot of money to service and maintain so the more info you have going in, the more you reduce your risk.

Also, make sure you want a C4. It's all preference but the c2 is a little lighter and I personally like the way it handles a little better.

There is a speed yellow '01 C2 with an FSI rebuild (best money can buy) lurking around here thinking about selling. It's a little more money but by the time you do all of the maintenance on this one you will be money ahead.

Here's a link. Price is in CDN:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...l#post13175398
Old 04-17-2016, 11:59 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 162 Posts

Research research research

Yes to the PPI

Ignore the accident, if it happened with the first owner and no problems and the mechanic checks it out, no worries

As stated above - check the AOS/water pump/IMS issues. If not done, no big deal, but you will hace to pay eventually to have them done/addressed.

Spend more time here asking questions and looking. None of these cars are rare. And if you do not do your homework it can get expensive quick.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:39 AM
Agent Jester
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

What color is it? What options does it have? Are they the ones you've been looking for? That could play a part in the decision too.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:57 AM
Triple Black
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

The aerokit is quite desirable. C4 not so much unless you plan on DD in winter conditions. The C4 can be converted to a C2 fairly easily though. I wouldn't worry too much about the accident either but I would recommend getting your own thorough PPI and I'd be prepared for some cash outlay for maintenance. Any pics? Options?
Old 04-18-2016, 01:13 AM
VivG
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

That's a bit more than I recently paid for a 99 C4 (non-Aero) with similar mileage. I think the price difference probably is accounted for by the Aerokit.

When was the last clutch replacement? Basically, clutch/IMS/RMS/AOS will cost like $4,000 to do all together, but addresses most of the big picture issues in one go.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:30 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
Also, make sure you want a C4. It's all preference but the c2 is a little lighter and I personally like the way it handles a little better.
You do know that the C4 has the a stiffer chassis since it shares its tub with the GT3 right? If you want to build a serious track car, the C4 is the better base (and then removing the AWD bits.

Originally Posted by Triple Black
The aerokit is quite desirable. C4 not so much unless you plan on DD in winter conditions.
Actually the AWD is geared towards performance and cornering rather than adverse conditions, but it is a little beast in off color weather.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:47 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 143 Posts

My buddy is also interesting in that car, but I think he lost interest because of the lack of response from the guys selling the car. Here is the thread I started the other day about the engine just being way too clean:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-thoughts.html

I would make sure you PPI included cam deviations, oil change look for metallic material, borescope the cylinders and drop the sump.

If it passes those inspections, I would jump on that car due to the options and mods that the previous owners had done if the body looks good.

FYI, the asking price on craigslist for the car is $20K, I don't know where you get the $22K.

Best of luck!
Old 04-18-2016, 12:04 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
You do know that the C4 has the a stiffer chassis since it shares its tub with the GT3 right? If you want to build a serious track car, the C4 is the better base (and then removing the AWD bits.

Actually the AWD is geared towards performance and cornering rather than adverse conditions, but it is a little beast in off color weather.
Mr Gnat speaketh the truth. My old C4 would pull like crazy coming out of turns on the track.

Not crazy about the current owner power washing away some motor crud though.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:44 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,882 Likes on 2,888 Posts

accident damage is important to acknowledge - some guys throw the aero-kit on the car when accidents happen to replace front bumper/etc. -how is the paint quality on front bumper and all other panels? - a good PPI will determine quality of repair sand also determine extent of chain housing oil leak/etc.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:40 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Waterloo
FYI, the asking price on craigslist for the car is $20K, I don't know where you get the $22K.
There is a '99 listed at 22k.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/5523342244.html

I presume you guys are discussing this one?
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5531566533.html
Old 04-18-2016, 02:45 PM
Neto
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

wow the 20k car looks flawless
Old 04-18-2016, 02:52 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 143 Posts

vitaminC: Yes, you are correct about the cars. My friend was looking into the $20K one. The sellers are new at the game, bought it from an auction and are providing very little info.

The other car is a close cousin to mine! Except it has the "preferred" four spoke steering wheel (if you are a Doc, let's just say I don't prefer them). Best of luck!

BTW, the $20K one just has so many options and nice mods IMO. The wheels could easily be changed.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:56 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Neto
wow the 20k car looks flawless
They both look great on the outside but my tummy can't handle the grey interior they both have. The 20K car looks good but with all those cool pics you leave the oil cap dirty?
Old 04-18-2016, 02:57 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

re-inspect it, try to varify any history you have, thats all you can do. Personally I would look for look for newer 2002 4S

Quick Reply: Need help- potential purchase 01 Aero C4