Sponsored by:

Stock Pads for track

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 09:05 PM
Triple Black
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
If this is the 1st time on the track with the pcar I would go with what you got. That goes for brakes and tires. Its the best way learn the car. After a few track days get some track pads. But whatever you do bleed your brakes.
I agree with Pete on this. Stock pads are fine for your first track day. The stock brakes are actually very good. When you progress to the intermediate run group you will definitely want to upgrade to track pads. I use Ferodo pads for track and street - minimal fade on track and just a bit of squealing on the street.

A recent brake fluid flush is very important either way.

Oh yea, make sure you have at least 50% pad remaining and good rubber on your tires - both wear rapidly on the track..
Old 04-15-2016, 09:15 PM
Triple Black
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
I've only touched my brakes once in a turn and these cars don't like that very much. Spin, spin both feet in. But at least I stayed on the track. Still got the black flag and a stern lecture. Did I mention how fun this is?
Haha. Yea, don't do that. Don't even lift in a turn - even if you think you are going too fast, just DON'T DO IT! I learned that my first time on the track in the 996. You're right - it sure is fun!
Old 04-15-2016, 11:52 PM
Viper6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple Black
I agree with Pete on this. Stock pads are fine for your first track day. The stock brakes are actually very good. When you progress to the intermediate run group you will definitely want to upgrade to track pads. I use Ferodo pads for track and street - minimal fade on track and just a bit of squealing on the street.

A recent brake fluid flush is very important either way.

Oh yea, make sure you have at least 50% pad remaining and good rubber on your tires - both wear rapidly on the track..
+1...

Oem textar pads are better than yellow stuff in my experience... Advance group and tried yellow stuff figured wth, they lasted one 2 day event and were down to backing plates in the front (back straight is 145mph, so your track may not be as brutal)... Oem pads lasted several DEs and lots of street...

I now use PFC08s and they are top class track pads and when these wear out I'll replace with same... At almost $600 a set it seems high until you blow thru a $300 set of EBC in one DE... PFCs are a bargain!
Old 04-16-2016, 12:35 AM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I just did over 200 miles of track driving with YellowStuff and they barely show any wear. It was at the AutoClub Speedway in the Roval configuration which is 1/2 of the NASCAR Super Speedway and then into the infield for a road course. Many braking spots from 100-120 down to 40. 4th and 5th to 2nd downshifts. No fade.

Last edited by JayG; 04-16-2016 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:08 AM
Youri Ko
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any more votes for Yellow stuff?

Originally Posted by Viper6
+1...
Oem textar pads are better than yellow stuff in my experience... Advance group and tried yellow stuff figured wth, they lasted one 2 day event and were down to backing plates
I thought OEM was Pagid. You say they wore down to plates, is it because of too much front bias? What did you have in the back?
Old 04-18-2016, 12:12 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 116 Posts

I'm keeping EBC Red Stuff (low dust) for Daily Driving but going to try out Hawk DTC-70 for track days.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:42 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 208 Posts

I ran stock pads in the C2 when I DE'ed it. We got rained out in the afternoon so I had no chance to see if fade appeared. Now I run the GT3 with bigazz Brembos Type 3s - no problems

Funny comment about "lift" - at the briefing, the guy goes on about the various turns and such and gives tips on where to brake and add power. Then he stops and asks, "Any 911s here?" Two hands go up. He says to us, "Forget what I just said to the Corvette guys, Don't lift in turns!"

I've tried AX a few times in my C2 and other cars - I know most love it, but it wasn't my thing. DE is - to me - more fun and I get more out of it.

In all high-speed applications, my motto is "More Brakes are More Better"
Old 04-19-2016, 01:31 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 454 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by johneecatt
I use PFC 08's all around. Just finished 3 days at Auto Club Speedway, braking from about 120+ to about 40.... no fade, no drama. And they don't squeal significantly on the street. Pagid Yellows are good as well, though I find them a bit grabby for the street and a bit more squealy as well. But luckily, our brakes are super easy to change.
Hey, looked for you a few times at the Auto Club Speedway event. Saw you driving the track, but never could catch up in the pits.

Anyway, I used Textar pads at the event. Never had any fade at all. No squeal at all either.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:39 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 116 Posts

This link came from a thread on the racing forum in response to the vibration I was having with my rotors during my first DE. There is a ton of good information including street and track bedding processes and why it is important.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths
Old 04-19-2016, 01:52 AM
johneecatt
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
Hey, looked for you a few times at the Auto Club Speedway event. Saw you driving the track, but never could catch up in the pits.

Anyway, I used Textar pads at the event. Never had any fade at all. No squeal at all either.
Yup - I was thinking about you, too. But I didn't know your car or how to find you. I had a great, fast time - hope you did, too.

And to keep it on-topic - the PFCs were great! Rain or dry, fast corners or slow - they performed! And I've had fading / loss of braking at that track... these felt....professional.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:55 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Yup - I was thinking about you, too. But I didn't know your car or how to find you. I had a great, fast time - hope you did, too.

And to keep it on-topic - the PFCs were great! Rain or dry, fast corners or slow - they performed! And I've had fading / loss of braking at that track... these felt....professional.
Well, the Boxste' was certainly nowhere near as fast as the 996, but I had fun anyway. Can't power up quickly on the straights after scrubbing speed for the sharp turns. I need to buy a Boxster S some time. According to the database, set a track record for CC04 class (it's actually an SS01 car, but I like to run in CC04 for a bit more competitiveness). JayG also set a track record for SS02.

You had an excellent time: 1:56!

Old 04-19-2016, 02:50 PM
johneecatt
Pro

Thanks! That's a great shot - beautiful car. Congratulations!

I'm POC, and according to their site - my time is a new track record.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:54 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Thanks! That's a great shot - beautiful car. Congratulations!

I'm POC, and according to their site - my time is a new track record.
Excellent!!! My buddy Andrew Raines is also listed as a record setter for that event... we killed it!

I would have loved a side-by-side car pic like in your photo, but I was so far ahead of everyone else that it was not possible.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:26 PM
johneecatt
Pro

Which group were you in? In our group, we were in packs most of the time. Really fun!! Even in the Friday rain!!

Old 04-19-2016, 06:30 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Was in the yellow group, PCA. Yeah, I enjoyed the opportunity to drive the track in the rain. Actually, it's the first time I've had an opportunity to do that!

Quick Reply: Stock Pads for track