996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Opinions Needed! Trade or Sell

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 02:51 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts

One other option is to sell it on consignment. I used RAC in Carrolton, TX to sell my 997tt and only got charged 5%. Since their GM left (Denver, awesome guy), their rates have jumped but I think there are a few other similar places you could try.

And yes, your logic for selling seems really really lame. But if you just wanted the experience of owning a 911, then check it off your list and move on. If you miss it like crazy you can always buy back in. I did.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:57 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,004 Posts

I'm with Carl... you'll be sick to let it go. I sold one of my favorite sports cars and regret it.

You might even want to make the Porsche YOUR daily driver and get rid of the "second car" and use the money towards your wife's SUV upgrade and the daughter's first car. Boy, it's hard pleasing the ladies isn't it?!

Question(s): what is your wife driving now? And, what is your current "daily driver"?
Old 04-12-2016, 12:58 AM
texredr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all of the replies. As I suspected, there was no shortage of opinions. I will try to reply back to as many as possible. Please feel free to keep the dialogue going as I appreciate your thoughts.

Car outside is not an option. HOA won't allow it (I can hear it now, "sell the house and keep the car!").

Don't have a garage that will allow me to stack cars. Also don't have room for another garage/carport. HOA wouldn't allow a carport anyway.

The IMS thing has really never bothered me much. When I talked to the guys at Mayo, they didn't seem to concerned either. My primary concern with that is if I try to sell it without that work done first.

We are looking at an MDX 1-3 years old, cost somewhere in the mid to upper thirties. Looking at dealership projections online, they say I should get 29-31k in trade. I don't owe anything and would just pay the difference for the new car.

I took it to CarMax the other day just for a baseline. They could find nothing wrong with my car and gave me a straight cash offer of $24k (no trade).

I agree with all of the Speed Yellow lovers. I too love the color. That said, I am a private banker and that is another reason I could never get away with driving it everyday. It just does not work to show up to some meetings in a car like that- even if it is 12 years old!!

Regarding the car math. My wife currently drives a minivan (gag!) We are clearing that out for the MDX (real upgrade in my mind). Daughter will get my 1994 C280 MB and I will probably buy 2006-2010 E Class. Yes, she will have Benz, but it is 22 years old, a car I have been driving for several years and something I feel comfortable with her driving. I have always enjoyed an older Benz and if I buy another, it would be my 5th. I also don't like car payments of any kind for any car.

Regarding reqrets, yes, I will regret it. I have wanted to own a yellow sports car for as long as I can remember and I have always loved 911s. This car is a great merger of those two. That said, I really think I have to do it. By the way, my wife is in no way pushing me one way or the other. As soon as I mentioned a possible sale or trade, she said she did not want to be a part of the decision! It was up to me. Great wife!!

I will post some pics in the next couple of days. Probably tomorrow. One other thing I forgot to mention is that it has the side skirts. Only the ones along the bottom of the doors (I prefer this over the full side skirts along the full length of the body).

A couple of you brought up the sales tax thing. On a $30k+ transaction, that's real money and is not lost on me.

To the one who said my logic for a sale is lame, I will say it is quite simple. I just don't have the room for 4 cars and I do not want (and can't) drive a bright yellow car as a DD. If I was retired and had no one else to answer to, it would not be an issue. The fact is, my profession will not allow it. Love the car, but just seem to be too many factors pushing me toward a sale/trade.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:03 AM
eidolon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by texredr
"sell the house and keep the car!".
A Cayenne would also be a much better option than an MDX... Acura??? Bleh!
Old 04-12-2016, 07:32 AM
redlineblue
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

If there's little time pressure, I'd sell privately via reenlist, PCA, pelican, or even BaT. Your car's a bit unusual in its equipment; target the broadest market liable to re$pect that fact.
Then buy a seal gray 2004 C4S with a Raby 4-liter. Discreet DD that kicks asphalt on the weekends, license plate FUHOA.

Just a suggestion.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:31 AM
RRTEC
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Park it at work... That's what I do with extra stuff. I leave it in the garage at work. Problem solved. It does appear that all the advice to keep it was unsolicited as your thread was sell it or trade it not sell it or keep it... If money is not a driving force for you then trade it and forget the hassle of private party sale. But just know you pay for the privilege..
Old 04-12-2016, 08:44 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 162 Posts

Rent a storage space near work. Lease a camry. Use the Porsche as a daily driver. When you have meetings trade the Porsche for the camry and go to work.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:39 AM
porsche951
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's amazing how many responders pay zero attention to the OP's original post and what type of advise he is looking for. He needs to part ways with his 996 and is looking for opinions on whether to trade it in or attempt a private party sale. Texredr, ultimately your decision comes down to is the additional $5k you might earn by way of a private party sale worth the B.S. you might have to go thru to get it. The last time I sold a car of mine privately was when I parted ways with my 944 Turbo back in 2002 to purchase a new Honda S2000. The Honda dealer offered me $4k less than I sold it for 7 days later. Their offer was so low it was a no brainer for me at that time. My last 2 purchases I accepted the dealers offers although in hindsight know I could have netted a few thousand more in a private party sale. Why don't you test the waters first, put your 996 on the market before you buy a replacement and see how much interest it garners.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:48 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Based on the OPs post, it sounds to me that you really don't enjoy your Porsche or you would easily find a solution to your not enough room problem, and that's okay because it's your decision. Your Porsche sounds like a cream puff but for whatever reason you are trying to find reasons to either sell it or trade. I've rarely traded my vehicles and have always put more $ in my pocket by selling it my vehicles myself.GL with your decision, hope it works out for you.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:57 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche951
It's amazing how many responders pay zero attention to the OP's original post and what type of advise he is looking for. He needs to part ways with his 996 and is looking for opinions on whether to trade it in or attempt a private party sale.
That may be true, but we've already crossed the "Trade vs. Private sell" discussion and it appears that Tex knows how to manage money and how to handle a business transaction... he's a banker for goodness sakes. I think many in the thread empathize with his appreciation for the 996 and it seems that he might be cruising down the road of potential regret later.

Tex, there are always options if you seek them. If you really want to let the Porsche go... then break out the Frozen song "LET IT GO" and sing it farewell. But I see heartache in the mix. I've also dealt with Home Owner's Associations and have never heard of one not allowing you to park a car on your own freakin' driveway, that's overboard, but again, that's a HOA for you. I got another option... why not park the car in the backyard. Does your property allow easy access to the back yard? Purchase a single car enclosure and waaa laaaa.... it out of sight, and out of HOA minds. Cheers!

Last edited by ZuffenZeus; 04-12-2016 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:28 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 162 Posts

Keep all the cars and have your daughter park in a different neighbors driveway every night
Old 04-12-2016, 11:12 AM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by texredr

Car outside is not an option. HOA won't allow it.

HOA wouldn't allow a carport anyway.

Love the car, but just seem to be too many factors pushing me toward a sale/trade.
I'm trying to work up some sympathy, but it's just not quite happening. As for your job, I would say you're a little full of yourself there. My banker(who handles many millions in assets) drives a 928, has a 53 Merc rod, and a big Harley of some kind(I don't know Harleys). I've seen him drive the Merc to the bank and park it out front.

Anyway, you are destined to sell it, so I'd say if you don't want the hassle give it to Carmax for $24k and let them make some profit I guess. You don't strike me as the DIY car sales guy.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:44 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 171 Posts

Well, since we got yelled at by porsche951,

here's some on topic advice:

Sell it on Bring A Trailer. It is unique enough to get picked up on there. Anybody selling a 996 via private party sale right now would be crazy not to try to get them to auction it for you. Yesterday, a flood/salvage title 996tt from the northeast United States brought $35,500.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:52 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Give it to your daughter as her DD with the agreement that she lets you borrow it on some weekends to drive to the local C&C?
Old 04-12-2016, 06:55 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,852 Likes on 2,873 Posts

Another worthless thread - No photos, a narrow body C2 with original IMS just about at the sweet spot for IMS implosion.

Some dealer whats to give you $24K for it? Take the money and run - Leave us to other more important issues current on OT forum - figuring out potential "rotted tire keychain startup business" questions and critique worthless uncreative "art posters" of dash cluster guages.

Last edited by groovzilla; 04-12-2016 at 07:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Opinions Needed! Trade or Sell