Sponsored by:

Opinions Needed! Trade or Sell

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 02:29 AM
texredr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions Needed! Trade or Sell

Opinions are like… Everyone has one. Although, in this forum, I have found that most have far more than one!!

I have a 2004, Speed Yellow, C2 996. I purchased it in 2013 from a gentleman in Anaheim, CA. He had only owned it for about a year and determined that it was not practical for him as a DD (he was the second owner). At the time, it had approximately 17,600 miles and it now has around 21,100. Most everything about the car would indicate that it has been babied. When not driving it, it sits under a car cover in my garage.

The car has a pretty decent list of options, including HID headlights, matching yellow seatbelts, Speed Yellow center console, yellow stitching on the seats, full leather, recaro headliner, no Bose (think this is a plus!), crests on the seats. Everything works as it should.

I live in Texas and had been looking for the Speed Yellow Coupe. In terms of what I had been looking for, this was the purple unicorn (yellow in my case). I purchased it, sight unseen, but had it inspected by Doug Haydon of Haydon Brothers in Anaheim. Doug found the car to be in excellent condition, however, the rear bumper had been resprayed and Doug did not think the job was done well (it never bothered me and I never had it redone). Doug was not able to find any other body work or anything else related to this respray/ bumper. Also, no issues show up on CarFax.

I had it shipped to me and I immediately had it checked out at Mayo Performance (a Porsche only shop in the DFW area). They changed the drive belt, flushed and replaced the brake fluid, and flushed and replaced the coolant. All these things had also been recommended by Doug. Everything else was found to be in excellent condition by Mayo, including a clean RMS.

While the car is very nice, I do not past records for it and therefore, do not know if the IMS has been changed (the RMS is still in good shape). I have changed the oil each year with Mobil 1 and have never found any evidence of metal in the filter.

I really do not want to give it up, but I have a daughter that will be getting her DL soon and only have three garage spaces and really do not want to leave a car outside. Therefore, I have to let this one go (yes, it hurts). We have looked at possibly trading it in on 1-2 year old MDX for my wife (that’s hard to type!). I have been pleasantly surprised at the trade value, however, I have never traded a car in my life, always opting for a private party sale.

I welcome your opinions- trade, or sell??? I know it is not a perfect car, as it doesn’t have all records and there is the bumper thing, but overall I have found it to be a pretty fantastic car! Just not sure I want to go through the hassle of private sale this time.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:56 AM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Leave your daughter's car outside and teach her to wash it. If you're worried about the IMS, change it...it will cost you less than the money you will lose trading the car in. Not wanting to park one of your cars outside is not a good reason to sell a car like your 996.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:38 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

If you must get rid, sell it to who ever offers the highest cash. You should get a pretty penny for such a low mileage car. Use the cash as down payment on the next car. You are not asking but IMHO I think you must be mad in the head to even consider selling or trading your car. It sounds and must look fantastic.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:11 AM
911 carrera blue
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by texredr
. We have looked at possibly trading it in on 1-2 year old MDX for my wife (that’s hard to type!). I have been pleasantly surprised at the trade value.
sucks that you have to get rit of it, I have 4 cars and 2 park outside, one is my daily driver and the other my daughters. But well if your HOA doesn't allow cars outside that's another story.

First, how much are they asking for the MDX, how many miles on it?
How much are they giving you for the Porsche? Do a national search on autotrader, to have an idea of the price, same year and miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlistedtrtfytj
Old 04-11-2016, 07:19 AM
Jscaramella
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

How tall is your garage? Buy a double car lift. Car sounds very unique, try to hang on to it.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:43 AM
porsche951
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know private party sales can be a PITA but you're gonna get burned to the tune of $5k+ if you trade it in. A Porsche dealer would probably asking $30-$35k for your car. A private party sale should net you close to $30k. Unless you can get a dealer to give you reasonable money on a trade I'd sell it myself. BTW while I like Speed Yellow most dealers won't. I guess the best thing to do would be first exactly how much the dealers will be offering and then take it from there. Good Luck to you.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:11 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

+1 on above post. I have been trading in and taking the hit on price recently rather than dealing with selling myself. Too many tire kickers, no-shows and these days, rip-off artists. I also am a big Speed Yellow fan so GLWS.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:13 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Personally, you're going to regret selling it. I also have two young children and one about to be driving age, but I'm going to do everything in my power to NOT be talked into selling my 911. It's my "weekend therapy" if you get my drift. Some people go hunting, some go boating, but I on the other hand, love talking rides to the mountains in my Porsche 996. It's cheaper than a psychologist!

Anyway, I would encourage you to try to find a spot for your daughter's car (if she gets one) and not worry about the "third car" that's hoggin' the garage. In my opinion, your Porsche is a very exclusive (and expensive) car that is worth securing in a enclosed garage. Put her Toyota Corolla outside and she'll appreciate that fact that you're trying to protect your investment. Encourage her to help wash and maintain her new car. If she makes an reasonable effort, then why not purchase a metal shelter for her to park. Or, maybe your daily driver can be parked outside, but I wouldn't let the Porsche sit outside. I restored a classic truck and didn't have a garage to park it in and over time, the weather damaged the exterior of the vehicle. I spent thousands on that truck. Hope that gives you something to think about. A big part of marriage and family is about giving and selflessness, but when comes to something that is important to you, then encourage them to also think about things you enjoy in life. Hopefully, you'll find a compromise and make the right decision. But if you decide to sell it and don't want to the hassle selling it privately, then trade it in, but know the value and don't let the dealers play number games with you. Overall, you're better off selling it outright, then taking the cash and making offers. Cheers!

Last edited by ZuffenZeus; 04-11-2016 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:34 AM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Daughter needs garage space dad gets rid of 911 to accommodate....are you drunk? Keep the 911

What did you pay for it?
Old 04-11-2016, 11:48 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Jscaramella
How tall is your garage? Buy a double car lift. Car sounds very unique, try to hang on to it.
+1 Here is your solution:

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/At...rage-Pro-8-000

$1,995 plus shipping. Put it together yourself in one day. I have had two of these in a 3-car garage since 2008 (making it a 5 car garage). My ceilings are normal height, basically 9 feet. Once you have one, you will wonder how you ever lived without it. In addition to storage, they work great for repair work, inspections, detailing. You can put a piece of plywood between the runners and store lawnmowers, kids bikes, all of that extra crap laying around the garage.

You'll need to have about 8 buddies to help you move it off the truck and into your garage. One piece weighs about 440 lbs, so you need that brute squad to move it off the truck and into position. Other than that one big piece, it's a reasonable DIY job with just you and one helper.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:53 AM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 89 Posts

First, post some pics!

Second, if you're going to sell it, update the IMS then put it on auction at bringatrailer. The 996's are bringing very good money there.

Third, first cars are meant to be parked outside. Certainly your daughter's first car isn't going to be something super nice and/or new?
Old 04-11-2016, 02:12 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

You nearly always come out ahead selling yourself. Why do you think used car dealers exist? If you are ok with taking the ~$5k hit, then trade.

Which brings up another point of confusion. If you trade the car, then you are still stuck with the problem of too many cars, and not enough garage space. You aren't solving the fewer cars issue with a trade, and if you get an MDX of course - you will be permabanned from rennlist. muuaahahahhaha! j/k

If it was an aero speed yellow, I'd prolly buy it from you. but - already have a red aero, so sorry...
Old 04-11-2016, 02:35 PM
porschemikeandnancy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couple of rules for private sale. First, never give any prospective buyer directions to meet at your own home. Instead, meet at some public place. Second, don't advertise it on Craigslist. You'll get a bunch of tire kickers not serious buyers. Try the for sale section of this forum and also I've had good luck with Autotrader.com - and several others similar. Just do a search for your type of car to see what is already being offered for sale there.

Yeah, private sales are a PITA - but why not put that $5k in your own pocket. There is one exception. In most states (if there is a sales tax), when you trade you save the "trade in price" vs. the new car in sales tax. Here in Wash. state, that's about 10%. So if you get, say $25k for your trade, that saves you (here) about $2500 in sales tax. So if the difference in a private sale or a trade in is, say, $4k, for the $1500 difference you may elect to trade not sell.

Certainly up to you.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:49 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,004 Posts

I agree with Porsche Mike. Don't use Craigslist if you want to avoid lots of tire kickers, telemarketers, and potential thieves. It was a headache to me... got lots of calls everyday that burned up a lot of time explaining things that were already on the listing only to have them never show up. For me, I ended up selling my truck on eBay and the buyer paid in cash. I've also had pretty good luck with AutoTrader, but you'll still get tons of dead-beat tire kickers.

Re: Dealerships - The tax on trade is the same in Georgia. You basically pay the taxes on the difference, but again, it all boils down to the bottom line.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:49 PM
CarlOrton
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep the car. We're probably somewhere in the same neck of the woods, seein' as how you mentioned Mayo.

I have regretted every single stinkin' time I've parted with a car that I loved. "Made sense" at the time, but it doesn't take long until you're kicking yourself. I've had a 944, Vette, RoadRunner, 'Cuda 340, Buick GS400, Duster 340, MG, and more as relaxation/hobby cars over the years. I'd give my left nut if I could have any one of them back. You WILL regret it.

If you have to do so, just rent a self-storage garage for 6 months or so. Pickle the car properly (battery out, tires off the ground, etc.) and don't even look at it. See how you feel at the end of 6 months.

Not to be cruel, but the daughter is a temporary situation. If she's getting a car, she'll be out of the house (hopefully at college) in 2 years. You can't wait that long?

Quick Reply: Opinions Needed! Trade or Sell