Sponsored by:

Interior

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 04:16 PM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by kcattorney
frisbee - Who does that leather wrap? That center console/storage bin in black leather with red contrasting stitching I think would look great in my car.......
Not sure who does it. (see posts from others above.)

I've seen pictures and love the look. Maybe when someday when I feel the strong urge to redo the interior.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:11 PM
sjg1138
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I considered covering my center console with leather but instead ended up painting it to lighten up the interior. It came out great but I don't think I would go through the pain of painting it myself again, it was a lot more work than I expected. Here is a thread on what I did.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-painting.html

Last edited by sjg1138; 02-27-2016 at 12:07 AM.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:37 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 5CHN3LL
If you have two open slots, you could do a lower console delete if you were so inclined...
Have considered it, but after 16 years with the lower console it would drive me nuts for it to be suddenly missing.

Besides, it'd be nice to have somewhere to put my phone.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:43 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
Besides, it'd be nice to have somewhere to put my phone.
I don't get it.
Old 02-27-2016, 06:30 PM
Southern Man
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Man
My graphite grey console looked every bit as bad as yours. Took it out of the car (very easy), sanded it down by hand (a little work, but you want a smooth surface). Then used a $30 bottle of leather dye. Takes several very light coats (they dry fast) and it looks like new. Has held up very well, and if

it gets a nick here and there, its easily fixed.

Pics? I'd like to see how looks in the car compared to the leather. Never would have considered leather dye"

I don't have a pic of the console itself, but here is a pic of the passenger seat and console after dying, with the drivers seat yet to be done. (OK, I got carried away, but the results were great.)
Old 02-28-2016, 07:16 AM
Mistergee
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the interior in mine for other ideas, the seats are two tone leather with script and a mix of Cf an Leather with some suede through the rest of the interior, colors are Yellow and Black Leather and some Silver trim, And with Cf being black and Silver it tends to go with these colors without clashing i think .

Old 03-18-2016, 01:15 AM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, I know: Carbon is overdone/overpriced/yada yada…

Eliminated most of my soft touch painted parts in place of carbon. No regrets. Some, including the gearshift came as original OEM; console was OEM/used, purchased online; others were from a German aftermarket supplier that does excellent work that's only mildly too expensive. To each his own.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:09 AM
Bubrubb
Instructor

Take the console out and Plasti-Dip that baby in black.

It ends ups waaaaaaaay better than the factory soft touch and only costs you ~$8 plus console removal/install.

Light sanding if you feel like it, but you can easily spray right over the factory soft touch.

I have a full grey interior and IMO the black contrast looks pretty darn good.

Old 03-18-2016, 04:26 AM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubrubb
Take the console out and Plasti-Dip that baby in black.

It ends ups waaaaaaaay better than the factory soft touch and only costs you ~$8 plus console removal/install.

Light sanding if you feel like it, but you can easily spray right over the factory soft touch.

Looks good, did you do anything besides the center console? Ac vents, etc...
Old 03-18-2016, 04:44 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 455 Likes on 294 Posts

Bubrubb: It ends ups waaaaaaaay better than the factory soft touch and only costs you ~$8 plus console removal/install.
$8? That's crazy money!

For $5 you can make it look good as new.

Take the ash tray into your local Home Depot. Get the paint department to scan it and sell you a $5 touch up jar, latex, semigloss. (I think 5 ounces). Use a foam brush to paint it. When it dries, the match is perfect!

Before and after:

Last edited by Cuda911; 03-18-2016 at 05:02 AM.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:22 AM
Neto
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I would paint it the color of the car..

Old 03-18-2016, 10:13 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

I gotta do this one day - my interior looks like crap right now with little black flakes showing up on the center console. Ugh!
Old 03-18-2016, 11:32 AM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You're right: For $8 plus labor, it's an excellent outcome.
Cuda's solution is pretty impressive, as well. Always had reservations about painting interior pieces unless done by a shop: I've seen too many 'Pretty good lookin' paint job for a rattle can, huh?' outcomes, which colored my interest in trying it myself.
Frankly, I think the custom leather pieces are the best looking solution overall; the parts I've seen from specialty suppliers are fantastic, and lend more continuity to an interior that's already partly leather. I don't care for very small parts done in leather however, (e.g. vent louvers), as it looks overdone.

A hundred ways to do it right. A thousand ways to do it wrong. To each his own.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:33 AM
dcamco
Advanced

My cupholders were a sticky mess and I had decided to order new ones and just trash them. After I removed them I remembered I had some 3M stainless steel vinyl lying around so I figured what the heck. It actually turned out really good considering I did literally zero prep work (as you can tell from the imperfections). I'm seriously considering re-doing it properly and rolling with it vs. spending the big bucks on new cupholders.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:39 AM
dcamco
Advanced

I also added silver faced gauges and a leather cluster hood. That combo made a HUGE difference in my otherwise (almost) option-less interior. Both were purchased cheap from dismantlers on ebay.

Quick Reply: Interior