2002 996 4s driver side low beam doesn't work, pls help

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 06:45 PM
poshic
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2002 996 4s driver side low beam doesn't work, pls help

Hello everyone

My 2002 996 4s "driver side - left" Low Beam doesn't work and need your hlep!

- I replaced xenon bulb and still doesn't work
- High beam and Fog lights working fine
- My indy mechanic who is 50 miles away advised to check the "fuses" and they are ok (checked "Low A, #9, #10" according to Fuse Diagram)

I would appreciate any advise for me. Thank you in advance.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:16 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 144 Posts

I would pull the light, and check the pins that are supposed to have 12 VDC with a volt meter to see if you have power and ground at the headlight. It appears the 12 VDC power to the headlight for the low beam is a yellow/black wire on pin 11 and pin 6 and 12 are ground, which is brown. Check to see if you have voltage across those, or go from Pin 11 to ground with the low beams on.

Old 02-15-2016, 05:27 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Remove the headlight and check the plug pin connection part. All the pins should be in the standing position. Use needle nose pliers to raise the offending pin so when you connect up again, all pins make perfect contact. I had the same thing happen on one of my headlamps.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:04 PM
poshic
8th Gear

Thank you for your advise guys. However, here is what i did.

My indy is kind of far away but I took the car anyway to make sure. My mechanic checked "headlight control unit" that silver box was attached behind the headlight. He took off the "passenger side one" that was working and put that on "driver side one" that was not working. Now passenger side one works! ...so the silver box "headlight control unit" was problem. I preferred original part that cost $838 and mechanic placed an order for me.

Few days later, mechanic called me and the part arrived. Again, the place was kind of far so instead bring my car, I took the whole part of "headlight lamp" and brought it to the mechanic. He stalled the new part(headlight control unit) for me. Back to home and put the headlight lamp to my car and guess what.... IT STILL DOESN'T WORK!

I check the light bulb and install again and again...still doesn't work.

Now I am about to take the car to the mechanic again....

Did i do anything wrong? .... pls advise
Old 02-28-2016, 05:21 PM
poshic
8th Gear

He took off the "passenger side one" that was working and put that on "driver side one" that was not working. Now passenger side one works! ...

sorry typo error - correction - Now driver side one work!
Old 02-28-2016, 09:02 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by poshic
He took off the "passenger side one" that was working and put that on "driver side one" that was not working. Now passenger side one works! ...

sorry typo error - correction - Now driver side one work!
Sorry, but I'm still confused.

Let me just say this: The igniter or starter or whatever that $800+ part is called can be bad, but maybe not.

What can happen is the bulb holder may fail to make good contact with the mating electrical contacts in the headlight housing.

Believe it or not I have a periodic problem with my 996 Turbo's driver's side turn signal not working. I have had to remove the headlight unit and with a co-worker working the ohm meter tell me when the connection between the bulb holder and the headlight housing connectors is good.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a real fix except to replace the headlight assembly. That's Damn expensive!

What I did instead was I bought a new bulb holder thinking it may be a redesigned part but the new one is the same as the old.

So what's my point? This: Check the low beam headlight holder and its electrical contact to the electrical connectors in the head light assembly.

Be sure you put the head light back in the fender properly and it is secure.

Last but not least consider the head light switch or even the igntion switch.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:36 AM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I think I'd rather give my dealer all my money and go have an expresso and read a magazine in the waiting area.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:55 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by johnireland
I think I'd rather give my dealer all my money and go have an expresso and read a magazine in the waiting area.
My dealer replaced what was thought to be a burned out turn signal bulb. The dealer does bulb replacements at no charge if I buy the bulb at the parts counter.

The light worked afterwards. This was done so quicky I never had time for an expresso. But when I went to the car and on a whim tried the signal the bulb didn't work.

The car was brought into the service bay and things checked and the igniter was suspected. I left the car and this was checked and found to be ok.

At the same time I did some research and found this problem common at least with 996 Turbo head lights.

I got the car back -- there was no charge for the igniter check -- looked at some solution to getting the turn signal to work reliably without having to go to the expense of replacing the head light with either a new one -- IIRC the cost is several thousand dollars -- or one from a salvage vehicle which may have the same problem, or worse.

Oh, I never had time for my expresso. The dealer owes me one.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:09 PM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Received 208 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Let me just say this: The igniter or starter or whatever that $800+ part is called can be bad, but maybe not.
Ballast is what you're thinking of
Old 02-29-2016, 01:09 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
My dealer replaced what was thought to be a burned out turn signal bulb. The dealer does bulb replacements at no charge if I buy the bulb at the parts counter.

The light worked afterwards. This was done so quicky I never had time for an expresso. But when I went to the car and on a whim tried the signal the bulb didn't work.

The car was brought into the service bay and things checked and the igniter was suspected. I left the car and this was checked and found to be ok.

At the same time I did some research and found this problem common at least with 996 Turbo head lights.

I got the car back -- there was no charge for the igniter check -- looked at some solution to getting the turn signal to work reliably without having to go to the expense of replacing the head light with either a new one -- IIRC the cost is several thousand dollars -- or one from a salvage vehicle which may have the same problem, or worse.

Oh, I never had time for my expresso. The dealer owes me one.
How much does a new headlight cost?
Old 03-01-2016, 05:47 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by poshic
Thank you for your advise guys. However, here is what i did.

My indy is kind of far away but I took the car anyway to make sure. My mechanic checked "headlight control unit" that silver box was attached behind the headlight. He took off the "passenger side one" that was working and put that on "driver side one" that was not working. Now passenger side one works! ...so the silver box "headlight control unit" was problem. I preferred original part that cost $838 and mechanic placed an order for me.

Few days later, mechanic called me and the part arrived. Again, the place was kind of far so instead bring my car, I took the whole part of "headlight lamp" and brought it to the mechanic. He stalled the new part(headlight control unit) for me. Back to home and put the headlight lamp to my car and guess what.... IT STILL DOESN'T WORK!

I check the light bulb and install again and again...still doesn't work.

Now I am about to take the car to the mechanic again....

Did i do anything wrong? .... pls advise
Did you check the pins in the offending connector YET? These can bend over slightly when putting the head light fixture connector back in place. If the headlamp has been removed and the connector completely, I would gamble it went back in wrong. You have tried everything else by the looks of things. Anyway suit yourself. I give up.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:10 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

WD-40?
Old 03-09-2016, 11:37 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

its your Igniter, I had the same issue. picked up a matching part number off ebay for $200ish I think and fixed the issue.
Old 04-13-2020, 05:34 AM
poshic
8th Gear

Hello everyone, it's been years since last issue of headlight bulb (2002 996 4s)

The problem was "defected" headlight "ballast" - which means that new ballast was defect.

Replaced with another ballast, it worked....for 4 years and guess what. The problem came back.

Here is symptom.

Both of headlights don't work and only thing works is the small bulb called "position light" on driver side

Tried on and off switch for several times and passenger side headlight works

And couples weeks later, both of them are gone, driver and passenger side

Question is that if there is anyway to do trouble shooting - ballast, switch or something else

Please help if you have any idea
Old 04-13-2020, 11:24 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Have you ever replaced the light switch on the dash? I'd start there.

Quick Reply: 2002 996 4s driver side low beam doesn't work, pls help