996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Differences between M96.03 and m96.05?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 07:36 PM
george_west
Instructor

Received 133 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Differences between M96.03 and m96.05?

I've been searching and googling and I can't seem to find any information.

I'm trying to find the differences between the 2002-2005 m96.03 3.6L and the 2005-2008 m96.05 3.6L. All I can find is that the m96.05 fuel system is returnless and the m96.03 isn't. I believe both are Variocam Plus. Are the short blocks interchangeable? Cases? Heads? Etc..

Thanks in advance
Old 12-18-2015, 07:53 PM
diverzeusy
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts
Default difference

difference is .02
no but seriously, why do you want to know? its probably because production method changed slightly or something really not important as a consumer e.g. they started using a different supplier for a few components from the new number.
that is all it will be.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:55 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

05 - 08 will probably have the larger nonremovable IMSB
Old 12-18-2015, 08:29 PM
george_west
Instructor

I bought a complete 3.6 engine out of a 30k mile wrecked 2005 997. The oil scavenge pump took some damage in the wreck. I'm in the process of determining the extent of the damage now. I mostly bought to take it apart as a learning experience, knowing I could probably part it out and get my money back.

I may keep it if the parts are compatible with my 2002 996.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:17 AM
diverzeusy
Rennlist Member

george
this may shed some light on it
http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=101...&highlight=m96
as above main difference is the ims bearing design. rest of engine same?? me thinks
Old 12-19-2015, 04:28 PM
george_west
Instructor

Originally Posted by diverzeusy
george
as above main difference is the ims bearing design. rest of engine same?? me thinks
Thanks for the help. According to the info on 911uk.com, my serial number is before the changeover to the larger non-replaceable bearing. Good news in my opinion. I'll find out for sure soon.

The big problem is tracing down the debris from the damage to the scavenge (secondary) pump. I believe when the car was hit, the pump was hit and locked up. The drive tang on the pump snapped off, as well as the driver on the cam sprocket. Some debris was laying directly beneath the sprocket, but not all. The oil pan was clean. I need to disassemble further.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:29 PM
george_west
Instructor

Pics of the damage

Old 12-19-2015, 07:56 PM
diverzeusy
Rennlist Member

Glad i could help Re. engine numbers.
Good pictures you have taken,
be sure to keep all 'debris bits' to try and put together and then you can be more confident you have them all, a real good flush of all oil-ways etc. will be needed, last time i did something similar, i got all the bits into the garden and used
jet-wash machine , then dried off with lint free material and placed all components in my airing cupboard for a few days to be sure of no water,all to the non-amusement of my other half i may add
Old 01-15-2016, 08:08 PM
george_west
Instructor

More progress and pictures...

Small shard of debris embedded in oil pump housing on left side (looks like an eyelash).

You can see where the shard was rubbing on the left gear.

I'm guessing at least the oil pump housing will need to be replaced, possibly the gears as well.

More debris deep in the front chain area.

A disassembled engine takes up so much more space than an assembled engine.

The bores look ok, not amazing. Some slight wear on cylinders 1,3,6. It's hard to see in the pictures. There is a small scratch on the top of cyl 3 that will catch a fingernail. Unfortunately I don't know how the motor ran prior to disassembly. I don't know if it consumed oil, or had low compression. I'm trying to determine if this if above or below average wear for a 30k mile motor.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:19 PM
diverzeusy
Rennlist Member

great pictures, keep them coming
Old 01-16-2016, 12:43 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Main differences are with the coolant console, and secondary air mounting positions. Some M96.05s have their own unique camshafts, that are not catalog items. The M96.05 was in the middle of the era where the IMSB could be M96, or M97, dependent upon year model.

Don't be fooled.. That scavenge pump ingested a piece of debris, probably shed from a failing timing chain, and seized.. Then it broke the drive. These pumps are huge vacuum cleaners, and have tight tolerances, not letting anything through them that they can't pulverize. Typically when this happens the cam sprocket will slip to full retard, and the exhaust valves will hit the pistons.. You got lucky because this one is still at the center of the elongation, meaning the engine shut down abruptly after the ingestion.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:40 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,167 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by diverzeusy
george
So does ^this^ mean 997 owners are almost as neurotic as 996 owners? Are they beginning to show signs of KKS (Krazy K Syndrome) ?

** Sorry for the Hijack** Nice thread w/great photo's
Old 01-16-2016, 10:32 AM
george_west
Instructor

Originally Posted by george_west
I bought a complete 3.6 engine out of a 30k mile wrecked 2005 997. The oil scavenge pump took some damage in the wreck. I'm in the process of determining the extent of the damage now. I mostly bought to take it apart as a learning experience, knowing I could probably part it out and get my money back.

I may keep it if the parts are compatible with my 2002 996.
Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Main differences are with the coolant console, and secondary air mounting positions. Some M96.05s have their own unique camshafts, that are not catalog items. The M96.05 was in the middle of the era where the IMSB could be M96, or M97, dependent upon year model.

Don't be fooled.. That scavenge pump ingested a piece of debris, probably shed from a failing timing chain, and seized.. Then it broke the drive. These pumps are huge vacuum cleaners, and have tight tolerances, not letting anything through them that they can't pulverize. Typically when this happens the cam sprocket will slip to full retard, and the exhaust valves will hit the pistons.. You got lucky because this one is still at the center of the elongation, meaning the engine shut down abruptly after the ingestion.
Jake, you could be right. I mentioned that the engine came out of a wrecked car and the engine had damage. Some of the damage was directly to the outside of the scavenge pump. I assumed this is what locked it up. I can't be sure. I'll post pictures of the outside of the pump later. I might disassemble the pump to see what it looks like inside.

I'm planning on pulling the IMSB today. Although this came from a 997, it has the small 6204 bearing. The engine number is M960569505771. The info provided earlier proves true in this case.

"997 Carrera 3.6 with engine numbers from M96/0569507475 are the new IMS design.

M96/05 = 997 3.6 Carrera NA
6 = 6 cylinders
9 = design revision
5 = year (2005)
07475 = cumulative production serial

This means some MY2005 benefit and all MY2006 onwards benefit."
Old 01-16-2016, 07:35 PM
george_west
Instructor

IMSB is out. The tube was full of oil. The ball bearing was soaked in oil but no noticeable damage. The bearing felt smooth and a little stiff, like the seals were dragging, but still full of oil.

I disassembled the scavenge pump to see what killed it. It seems pretty clear that the dent on the outside cover brought it to a screeching halt. I found no debris inside. The sheet metal outside outside cover/housing is surprisingly thin. One whack and it will bind and break. Keep that in mind if you ever get rear ended, be sure to have you insurance adjuster look at the scavenge pump cover and reference this thread. You may get a new motor out of the deal.

Sidenote: The way the scavenge pump vane moves is super cool, almost mesmerizing. I suggest taking one apart if you have the opportunity.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:44 AM
george_west
Instructor

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations

Even though I'm pretty confident the scavenge pump failure was a result of the accident, the timing chain and intermediate shaft and sprockets still had to bear the load of snapping the drive off the scavenge pump. One of Jake's documented failure modes shows the sprocket coming loose from the intermediate shaft. Is this a possibility with a failure like mine? Are all of the sprockets on the IMS pressed on? Is there any way of checking if they've moved or are coming loose without splitting the cases?

I have a feeling I will be splitting the cases...

Quick Reply: Differences between M96.03 and m96.05?