Sponsored by:

Differences between M96.03 and m96.05?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 10:54 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by george_west
Even though I'm pretty confident the scavenge pump failure was a result of the accident, the timing chain and intermediate shaft and sprockets still had to bear the load of snapping the drive off the scavenge pump. One of Jake's documented failure modes shows the sprocket coming loose from the intermediate shaft. Is this a possibility with a failure like mine? Are all of the sprockets on the IMS pressed on? Is there any way of checking if they've moved or are coming loose without splitting the cases?

I have a feeling I will be splitting the cases...
Pull that pump apart and look for signs that it ingested something. Look for dents/ dings in the vane or the housing. You might even find the offending debris inside the pump.

The sprockets on the IMS are a light press fit only. All of them. Nonwaynto check them without disassembly of the engine.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:19 PM
george_west
Instructor

Received 133 Likes on 33 Posts

Engine block split and glad I did, I found debris in places that I would have never been able to clean out.

I'm wondering if it's worth bringing to an engine shop to have it cleaned? Or do it myself with degreaser and hose and brushes?

Old 02-05-2016, 04:01 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Ultrasonic cleaner
Old 02-05-2016, 06:45 PM
george_west
Instructor

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Pull that pump apart and look for signs that it ingested something. Look for dents/ dings in the vane or the housing. You might even find the offending debris inside the pump.

The sprockets on the IMS are a light press fit only. All of them. Nonwaynto check them without disassembly of the engine.
How critical is rotational position from sprocket to sprocket? Is there a procedure to check if a sprocket has moved?
Old 06-13-2016, 08:31 PM
george_west
Instructor

Default Progress

Its been a while since I posted about this project. Many parts have been ordered, reassembly has begun. Block has been cleaned, crank carrier has been reassembled, My ims came back from LN inspected and Ims Solution installed, rods have been reassembled with new bearings and ARP bolts, 1,2,3 pistons/rods are in the block as well as the crank carrier.
This weekend I had some time and I made my own wrist pin clip installation tool out of some scraps I had lying around. I tested a few times on each of the 4,5,6 cylinders and it seems to work very well. The tool threads into the block the same way the access plug does. It has a set screw that locks the tool into three different positions for each piston. The tool cant slip out and cant miss. I also made a mini tapered ring compressor to get the ring into the tool. They are a real bugger.
I'm feeling confident about clip installation and I think I'm ready to seal the block halves together, but I can't find much info about sealant application. What little info I've found I'm not sure I can trust. Logray's build shows a 1.32 mm bead of dreibond. I have a good idea where the sealant goes, but looking for more definitive info so I don't have to do this twice.

Old 06-13-2016, 11:42 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

Looking good! The sealant bead is 1.5mm wide and the location of sealant is here:

http://workshop-manuals.com/porsche/...res/page_1609/

Search up and down at different levels and you'll see it has tons of useful info
Old 06-14-2016, 02:08 AM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Very impressive. Your pictures show the real beauty of the engine. Thanks.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:31 PM
george_west
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Looking good! The sealant bead is 1.5mm wide and the location of sealant is here:

http://workshop-manuals.com/porsche/...res/page_1609/

Search up and down at different levels and you'll see it has tons of useful info
Thanks
Old 08-04-2016, 09:48 PM
george_west
Instructor

Update: Assembly is going well. Rotating assembly is in the block. Heads are on with new valve seals. Ims solution is in. Good, used oil pump is on.

Im getting ready to install cams, but i'm unsure about the lifters. Some will compress, and some won't. Some of the ones that compress will bottom out, others don't. Ive tried pumping them submerged in oil, no difference. What am i missing? Is there an inspection procedure for lifters? I havent found anything.

Thanks in advance
Old 08-04-2016, 11:31 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Just replace all the exhaust ones. They are ~$15 each from Jason, warehouse33.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:11 AM
george_west
Instructor

Just replace all the exhaust ones. They are ~$15 each from Jason, warehouse33.
I'm all for preventative measures, but is it really such a poor design that they should all be replaced after 30k miles?

What about intake side? Any way to inspect other that visual wear on the outside?
Old 08-05-2016, 12:34 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

The design was upgraded by INA. Some of us replaced all 24 when they were still $40 each !Be glad that companies like Warehouse 33 have at last sourced cheaper INA lifters. When I bought mine, it was "cheaper"to buy them in Europe and ship here than to buy from any USA source !
If they don't work on the bench ,how do you imagine they will work in the engine?
Have you dismantled any of the jammed ones ? Much written about this in Search.
Particularly the pre-lubrication process when rebuilding the head.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:56 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

These exhaust lifters are not special at all. Even Hyundai use the exact same lifters.

The intake ones you can use your thumb to press hard to push the plunger up and see if it's smooth and if there's any abnormal wear. Do not wear glove...it may get caught when the plunger retracts.

Originally Posted by george_west
I'm all for preventative measures, but is it really such a poor design that they should all be replaced after 30k miles?

What about intake side? Any way to inspect other that visual wear on the outside?
Old 08-05-2016, 03:29 PM
george_west
Instructor

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
The design was upgraded by INA. Some of us replaced all 24 when they were still $40 each !Be glad that companies like Warehouse 33 have at last sourced cheaper INA lifters. When I bought mine, it was "cheaper"to buy them in Europe and ship here than to buy from any USA source !
If they don't work on the bench ,how do you imagine they will work in the engine?
Have you dismantled any of the jammed ones ? Much written about this in Search.
Particularly the pre-lubrication process when rebuilding the head.
These exhaust lifters are not special at all. Even Hyundai use the exact same lifters.

The intake ones you can use your thumb to press hard to push the plunger up and see if it's smooth and if there's any abnormal wear. Do not wear glove...it may get caught when the plunger retracts.
I think I found the thread I was looking for. https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...re-lube-3.html

Seems like a squishy lifter is just not properly bled. Looks like some guys use heat to bleed the air out.

But if there are known issues with exhaust lifters and they aren't terribly expensive, maybe I'll just replace?
Old 08-05-2016, 04:12 PM
b8_rdc
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I think there is an Audi part that is the same exhaust lifter for less. Just replace them all.

I'm curious if all the sensors and such work just fine from the M97 swapped into a 996.

Quick Reply: Differences between M96.03 and m96.05?