996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

My car locked me out. What do I do?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 12:33 PM
devioustrap
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default My car locked me out. What do I do?!

I've got a bit of a perplexing issue. I haven't driven the 996 in about a week and the car no longer responds to the keyless entry remote. This is normal, I know it does it to save the battery, so normally I'd just use the key to get back in.

Except I have a problem--I'm turning the key and the door isn't unlocking. I feel resistance in the direction of locking the door, but turning the key to the left doesn't do anything. No matter how I turn the key, the door is still locked.

Help Rennlist... what do I do?!
Old 05-09-2015, 01:17 PM
Schwarz992C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 118 Posts

If I recall correctly, I read something about this in the owners manual. I am overseas now but I think it read to hold the alarm button on the key while turning the key to unlock. I think this has to be held for 4 or 5 seconds.
Old 05-09-2015, 01:25 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Another example of the faux progress of electrified cars. Do you have a second key to try? Perhaps the dealer can recommend a locksmith who has special Porsche tools or training. If these cars didn't have so much electrical crap in them they wouldn't need a battery the size of a small house...a battery that still can't hold a charge on its own for one week. I never had these issues with my 964 or 993. The old fashioned key locks were just fine...opened the doors and started the car and it wasn't much bigger than a quarter.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:34 PM
Soaringman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try some wd - 40 , lock may be physically seized
Old 05-09-2015, 10:20 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Soaringman
Try some wd - 40 , lock may be physically seized
Old 05-09-2015, 11:33 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Try this to wake the car up:
"Yesterday I called a service manager where I take my car for service telling him about my situation. He told me I should pull the door handle as I turn the key and this should open the door. I plugged my battery back in and tried, though it did not open the door physically with the key, the remote started to work again. "

Below is what he tried but the alarm kept sounding when he reconnected the battery and he couldn't get into the car.

Open the frunk with the emergency cable. Disconnect/reconnect the battery and that should reset the car like post 12 here.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-with-key.html

There is a metal "paddle" with a thin metal end that connects the door lock barrel with the lock mechanism. They can break. There are threads that document this with fixes. If yours does not unlock the door that may be your problem.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:16 AM
911 carrera blue
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Failure 34567 is in the book
Old 05-10-2015, 12:37 AM
devioustrap
Instructor

Originally Posted by fpb111
Try this to wake the car up:
"Yesterday I called a service manager where I take my car for service telling him about my situation. He told me I should pull the door handle as I turn the key and this should open the door. I plugged my battery back in and tried, though it did not open the door physically with the key, the remote started to work again. "

Below is what he tried but the alarm kept sounding when he reconnected the battery and he couldn't get into the car.

Open the frunk with the emergency cable. Disconnect/reconnect the battery and that should reset the car like post 12 here.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-with-key.html

There is a metal "paddle" with a thin metal end that connects the door lock barrel with the lock mechanism. They can break. There are threads that document this with fixes. If yours does not unlock the door that may be your problem.
Thanks, I guess it's either this or break window

Getting the frunk open might be an issue. I'm reading that the release is in the passangers side wheel well and the best way to get to is to take off the wheel and pull back the liner. Well, obviously the key to my wheel locks is in the car, so no way that wheel is coming off
Old 05-10-2015, 11:16 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 757 Posts

Might be easier to find the engine lid emergency release cable under the left rear tail light. Open the engine lid and hook a battery (or jump from running vehicle) up to the jumper points on the engine. See if after about 5-10 minutes of jump if the car wakes up and unlocks. Worth a try.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:55 AM
devioustrap
Instructor

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
Might be easier to find the engine lid emergency release cable under the left rear tail light. Open the engine lid and hook a battery (or jump from running vehicle) up to the jumper points on the engine. See if after about 5-10 minutes of jump if the car wakes up and unlocks. Worth a try.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think this can do anything. The battery isn't dead, so you'd just be adding more juice to an already charged battery, no? I don't see how this could reset anything, unless you disconnect a ground or something in the engine bay to break the circuit.
Old 05-10-2015, 04:14 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 757 Posts

I'm trying to suggest something that might work. Your key fob doesn't work. The mechanical key doesn't work. You can't remove the wheel and pull the liner to access the emergency trunk release cable. You can (a) break a window or (b) take a cutting torch to your wheel or (c) try to access the engine compartment and hook up some power to see if you can wake up the car, release the trunk release or get something to work. Only a suggestion.
Old 05-10-2015, 04:24 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 456 Likes on 295 Posts

There's a special Porsche tool that will get you into your car in a couple seconds.
Attached Images   
Old 05-10-2015, 06:31 PM
devioustrap
Instructor

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
I'm trying to suggest something that might work. Your key fob doesn't work. The mechanical key doesn't work. You can't remove the wheel and pull the liner to access the emergency trunk release cable. You can (a) break a window or (b) take a cutting torch to your wheel or (c) try to access the engine compartment and hook up some power to see if you can wake up the car, release the trunk release or get something to work. Only a suggestion.
I appreciate that, didn't mean to be accusatory, just thinking "out-loud" about if it would get me anywhere.

Originally Posted by Cuda911
There's a special Porsche tool that will get you into your car in a couple seconds.
After spending 30 minutes trying to find the release through the parking light, I think I'm going to go with this special tool. My next door neighbor must be a Porsche parts supplier as his lawn seems to be full of similar tools.

Went and ordered a new window off eBay for $60. Anybody know what part breaks that connects the lock cylinder to the lock? I may as well order that preemptively to have that to repair for when I'm changing out the window.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:38 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Just call a locksmith. They can wedge the window and stick in a steelrod to pull the inside door handle.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:49 PM
Schwarz992C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 118 Posts

Don't forget, if you bust the widow, you'll most likely set off the alarm as well (IR sensor). Hopefully inserting the key and turning it will shut it off. I agree with Ahsai, just call a locksmith.

Last edited by Schwarz992C4S; 05-10-2015 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Forgot to add comment

Quick Reply: My car locked me out. What do I do?!