Sponsored by:

Cosmoline question

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 11:53 PM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Cosmoline question

do most of u guys have Cosmoline under ur car?

i found there is a lot under my TT. do i need to remove it or it doesn't matter on the car?
Old 09-02-2003, 12:41 AM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cosmoline is used as a rust inhibitor on all cars brought by ship. It is perfectly OK to leave it alone. It will eventually burn-off.
Old 09-02-2003, 03:07 PM
SICAONE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car has it too. Some detail places can remove it with industrial solvents but be prepared to pay a pretty penny.
Old 09-02-2003, 04:04 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Will an engine cleaner/degreaser remove it? I bought Eimann Fabrik Citrus Engine Cleaner from CMA... anybody use this before?
Old 09-02-2003, 04:22 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Sloth,

I just spent most of the weekend doing my GT3. What I don't understand is that all the parts they spray it on are aluminum or alloy steel. What is there to rust?

Anyway, here's what I did. Get the car up on a lift or at least jack stands, it much easier to do if you can get the car up high. Warm up the engine, the cosmoline comes off easier when hot. Then I sprayed an area with the Eimann Fabrik Engine Degreaser (your garage will smell like oranges for a while). Then I used a power washer with a 15 degree tip and the pressure set fairly low to wash it off. Some thicker areas I had to hit twice or scrub with a detailing brush. If you're really ****, remove the rear plastic tray so you can get to the transmission case.

This will get 90% of it off with minimal work but it is messy. That crap is really sticky when it comes off, so use latex gloves and some kind of eye protection. And be prepared to toss out whatever clothes you have on when you start the job, because they will never come clean again. The rest I did by hand with a rag, some brushes and more Eimann. It's good stuff.

It took me about 4 hours to do the rear of the car. The front suspension parts only took about 1.5 hours. Make sure to remove the wheels for easier access to the suspension parts, which are coated with the stuff. Also do the inside of your wheels, since they get some overspray and cosmoline attracts brake dust as if it was a magnet.

Karl
Old 09-02-2003, 04:47 PM
brh986
Burning Brakes

Is there any reason to get it off other than cosmetics?
Old 09-02-2003, 04:54 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Yes... it is leaving a mess on my garage floor as it drips off the hot engine. But it is a good mess and I am pleased to have it along with a new Porsche.

Trending Topics

Old 09-02-2003, 05:34 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

You are just not driving it enough!!! It also gives off a sweetish smell that is the engine counterpart of the new interior car smell. Smells good to me.

Give it to me and I'll have it burned off pretty quick .
Old 09-02-2003, 06:42 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by brh986
Is there any reason to get it off other than cosmetics?
Yes, three reasons, at least. 1) extra weight (probably a couple lbs of that goop on my car), especially on the suspension pieces (unsprung weight). 2) it is a dirt magnet for brake dust and other undercarriage gunk (more weight) and 3) it makes the car a lot easier and neater to work on. Doing an oil and transmission fluid change or adjusting the suspension is a much neater process when that stuff is off.

It may eventually burn off the engine and transmission but it will stay on the wheels and suspension parts forever.

Karl
Old 09-02-2003, 09:15 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally posted by Viken
Cosmoline is used as a rust inhibitor on all cars brought by ship. It is perfectly OK to leave it alone. It will eventually burn-off.

Not really Viken. Unless you mean it will burn off AFTER 14 years. My 89S4 has it all over the lower part of the car, and it has 75k on it. I am pulling the motor so I will get all of that off, as well as do the actual body as well.
Its on the cross member, the steering rack, side rails, a-arms - everywhere.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:12 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by BrendanCampion
Not really Viken. Unless you mean it will burn off AFTER 14 years. My 89S4 has it all over the lower part of the car, and it has 75k on it. I am pulling the motor so I will get all of that off, as well as do the actual body as well.
I am not sure why your experience differs but my 7-year old C4S hasn't had any Cosmoline in at least 4 years and I didn't remove it. All my other cars have been the same. It may be that the amount of this stuff varies from car to car, I am not sure.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:19 AM
JeffES
Pro

Viken & Brendan:
Cosmoline application was sold to automakers as an "overall" inhibitor. Thru the early 1990's, it (cosmoline) was liberally applied over the entire vehicle prior to shipping, and then removed at the dealer (VW/Audi) or at the ports (Honda/Toyota/BMW/MB). Over time, the application points of Cosmoline have shrunk dramatically (mostly due to the use of 3M's "wrap").
Cosmoline is still a remarkably effective barrier/inhibitor against corrosion/etching/fluid damage - thus it's continued use. There is a remover for Cosmoline, sold under the trade name "KATZ".
J
Old 09-03-2003, 04:04 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I removed mine, couldn't stand looking at the crap. Easier to maintain and stays cleaner.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:09 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Oak,

Nice job, how'd you do it? Esp. the tranny case. Did you do the front suspension parts as well?

Karl
Old 09-03-2003, 06:20 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my experience the cosmoline does not burn off at all when it's applied heavily, especially on suspension parts. Porsche seems to be really gooping this stuff on the newer cars. It looks like they get it up on a lift after the car is all assembled and a guy shoots the bottom with a wand. The application varies from car to car. Sometimes it is waxy, other times it is hard. It can even get on brake calipers. I question the value of it aside from making a big mess.

Quick Reply: Cosmoline question