Sponsored by:

Selling my baby

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 11:38 PM
teleman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling my baby

Hey guys. After 7 incredible years of 996 ownership, I have put my car up for sale. Is it acceptable to post a link to my auction listing here? Please forgive me for not being up to speed on the current rules of this forum. The car has performed so well and I have had so very few issues with this car, I have not had a reason to post many questions here lately. I think the last thing I posted here was asking for help fixing the hinge on the center console and you guys were a big help so thank you for that and all the other information you provide. I will refrain from posting the link until I read your replies. Cheers.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:54 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Rennlist membership is required to post in the Marketplace forum, and that is where you should be posting the car.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:57 PM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Teleman,
Bismarck is an interesting place to own a Porsche. Buy a membership and then post in Marketplace. Very inexpensive way to advertise.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:51 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 454 Likes on 293 Posts

^^^ I agree. Where else can you advertise to a bunch of Porsche enthusiasts for only $17?
Old 01-31-2015, 03:01 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 171 Posts

^^Yup, what those guys said. And you're gonna be back in a few months shopping for another P-car anyways, so you'll have access to the Marketplace then. You'll be back. They always come back . . .
Old 01-31-2015, 07:00 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

You will be very lucky to find an unmodded 996 for sale on rennlist. That's if you are looking for one. Most posters on here have modded out their cars to their specifications. Yours should sell pretty fast if it is original and at the correct price. Some sellers try to recoup their mods in the sale. PLUS rennlist buyers will hit you with the question of the IMSB upgrade ****. Anyway good luck with the sale.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:14 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
^^^ I agree. Where else can you advertise to a bunch of Porsche enthusiasts for only $17?
This is the worst place to advertise a car for sale, unless you are unloading it for dirt cheap. Pretty much everyone here has a Porsche, most know these cars pretty well and will comment on any issue they might think is important. Because most already have a Porsche, they are not looking for another car (unless it's really cheap).
Old 01-31-2015, 11:31 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
This is the worst place to advertise a car for sale, unless you are unloading it for dirt cheap. Pretty much everyone here has a Porsche, most know these cars pretty well and will comment on any issue they might think is important. Because most already have a Porsche, they are not looking for another car (unless it's really cheap).
I sold my 996 to a RennLister. He joined just to find a car. Looked through all my old posts so he knew more about the car's history (not to mention the love and care the owner showed that car!) than he would have had he bought a car anywhere else.

I think a lot of cars sell that way. Good luck!
Old 01-31-2015, 12:49 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
I sold my 996 to a RennLister. He joined just to find a car. Looked through all my old posts so he knew more about the car's history (not to mention the love and care the owner showed that car!) than he would have had he bought a car anywhere else.

I think a lot of cars sell that way. Good luck!
Nah...Auto Trader, Ebay or Cragslist. The Rennlist market is very limited for the reasons I wrote above.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:50 PM
tdrimer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

agree. Same thing happened to me on the 986 forum. Everyone had an opinion and discussed pricing, etc and I never asked for the help. Just wanted to sell my car. Sold both on autotrader within a week of posting there and not a single issue or frustrating discussion about how much the car was up for. Both people who purchased were not part of that forum and as far as I can tell still aren't. Neither of them ever heard of the IMS although it was done!
Old 01-31-2015, 02:44 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 260 Posts

Nah...Auto Trader, Ebay or Cragslist. The Rennlist market is very limited for the reasons I wrote above.
Not sure what you are talking about. Have you ever sold a car here? I sold a 996 aero and a BMW here. All within 24 hrs and were easy transactions.

You don't get as much if the riff raff from a CL or Autotrader listing as long as you are realistic about the value of your vehicle. Plus you can prescreen the interested party from their posts and decide if you want to deal with them or not.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:50 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Realistic ablut the price = cheap? I have tried selling a few of my "flipping...aka Porsche fund" cars here, not much luck. They sold elsewhere fairly fast.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:21 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 260 Posts

Realistic ablut the price = cheap? I have tried selling a few of my "flipping...aka Porsche fund" cars here, not much luck. They sold elsewhere fairly fast.
This a place for enthusiasts. Not a surprise your flips did not go as planned.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:29 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,883 Likes on 2,888 Posts

you sound clueless - i have experience at selling on RL and have had great success - i hang on to my 2 babies(356/66 911) but buy a new porsche to drive/play with every year or so for the past 15 years.

the only people who have issues selling on RL have no clue of the market and ask ridiculous prices.

anyone with knowledge of the market and has a desirable porsche will do great here.

Quick Reply: Selling my baby