Sponsored by:

Question about Natural Grey Leather

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 02:59 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts
Default Question about Natural Grey Leather

Greetings -- I'm posting to 996 forum because there's more activity here than other water-cooled forums, and there's not a specific "Interiors" forum.

I have an 04 Boxster 550 SE with the Cocoa full leather interior, and a 2002 996 Turbo with Natural Grey full leather.

According to everything I've ever read (and the options sheet for my Turbo), the "Natural" leathers (Grey and Brown) are an expensive option that is not just about color but is about the process. The naturals are "Aniline Dyed" or "Drum Tanned", which from what I can tell involves a process that more thoroughly penetrates the leather with color all the way through. Perhaps the leather is thicker also, although I've not found a definitive source for this.

Natural Grey is just black to anybody's eyes, so obviously the value lies in the process and the "quality" of the leather.

So here's my problem: My Boxster has 46,000 miles (I'm original owner.) Most of those (probably 2/3s) were with the top down (although the car has always been garaged and when parked outside the top is up and a sunshade used). The leather is in near perfect shape, with a little bit of "crazing" on the driver's left-side bolster, presumably because of sliding in and out of the car. It looks great, a nice patina.

But the Turbo only has 17,000 miles (or did when I bought it a few months ago; it's at 20,000 now.) It was always garaged and pampered (second owner had it for 3 years, 3000 miles). There is not a scratch on the outside of the car (literally perfect) and the interior shows no signs of neglect anywhere. But the drivers left bolster is cracked and the "white" shows through the cracks. It's like lightly-dyed leather that cracks and shows the white through, where the Boxster's cracks are hard to even see because the inside is brown. It's sort of tone-on-tone.

I was under the impression that this was the opposite of how it is supposed to be with these two types of leather.

Any leather gurus on here who can shed some light?
Old 09-11-2013, 03:18 PM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome, to my world.

I have a 2004 40th AE and from comparing to other similar mileage cars I find that while the natural leather looks and feels better it is actually softer and wears quicker. So, at 68k miles my drivers side bolster is shot and matching it is a PITA. My buddy has similar car and regular interior and his seat leather is not as soft or noticeably thicker but is also not shot like mine is
Old 09-11-2013, 03:35 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,443 Likes on 900 Posts

The natural brown leather on my 2002 C4S has not worn well, especially compared to the "soft leather" in my Cayenne. I've already had the bolster panels replaced on both seats due to wear.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:53 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dennis C
The natural brown leather on my 2002 C4S has not worn well, especially compared to the "soft leather" in my Cayenne. I've already had the bolster panels replaced on both seats due to wear.
Crap, not what I expected to hear. I was planning to spring for Natural on the next new Porsche I ordered, assuming it would just look like one of Ralph Lauren's 1930s roadsters after 10 years. Instead, I'm afraid it will look like one of those $60 "leather" flight jackets that have the color sprayed on about .000001 mm thick.

Dennis, how did you go about matching up the leather when replacing bolsters? Was it done with "real Porsche leather" or did you have an upholstery shop just match it?

Thanks guys,
Old 09-11-2013, 08:16 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,443 Likes on 900 Posts

I had an upholstery shop match it. They did a fine job. It's still a little lighter than the original leather, but it gets darker as time goes by. It should be a perfect match in a year or so.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:54 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

euro gt3 seat upgrade time. Get them in black and, as you pointed out, they look the exact same color.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:41 PM
6ta1
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by knfeparty
euro gt3 seat upgrade time. Get them in black and, as you pointed out, they look the exact same color.
do you have pics of your interior?

I still want to upgrade my seats but I am worried the the black leather will not match the natural grey
Old 09-11-2013, 11:15 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

I can tell you with absolute certainty that no one short of the guy who upholsters Porsches in the factory or a concours judge will know the difference. Because I am cheap, I bought one Euro GT3 seat and kept the passenger seat stock. No one (not even me) notices if there is a color difference.

If you are remotely interested in the Euro GT3 seats, get them they are awesome. I wish I could keep mine in all the time but now that I am doing nationals-level autocross competition, it would not go unnoticed.

Are your natural grey seats sport seats? If they are I would be interested in buying them from you if you upgrade to gt3. In fact I will lease them from you and ship them back if you ever want to return the car to stock.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:04 AM
6ta1
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

no I am base seats... only thing I regret about my car. Good to know I can go with black, thanks!
Old 09-12-2013, 09:08 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Mine are sports seats. Are the Euro GT3s the ones with hinged backrest? They don't also have rake adjustment do they? The regular GT3s are too upright for my taste.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:45 PM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by knfeparty
This is going to be my solution too
Old 09-17-2013, 02:23 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Mine are sports seats. Are the Euro GT3s the ones with hinged backrest? They don't also have rake adjustment do they? The regular GT3s are too upright for my taste.
Euro GT3 are basically recaro pole position fixed-back fiberglass seats with no adjustment. The newer 997 GT2 seats have a back that folds but I don't know about rake adjustment.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:27 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Do yours looks like this then? This is what I consider "sport seats," which is essentially the same as USA GT3 seats:

This is the "euro gt3" seat that I have in black (not my actual seats just a similar set):

Are your sport seats heated? I'm considering buying a pair of natural gray heated sport seats if I ever find any.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:18 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Okay, I have always called the Euro GT3 seats just GT3 seats. And yes, both of my cars have the adjustable sports seats as you pictured. The Boxster's are heated (in Cocoa), but the Turbo's are not. Which is fine, the car having always been in Atlanta.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:57 PM
p.vanderlinden
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can buy replacement seat covers from the factory. Yeah they are a little pricey but not terrible and you know that they will match. I have a 40th with perfect seats but I do keep a T-shirt on the backrest to cover the vulnerable side bolsters. I love the look and feel of the natural dark grey leather but it does seem to be particularly fragile.

Cheers, Paul

Quick Reply: Question about Natural Grey Leather