Sponsored by:

Late Evening Outing

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 03:25 AM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Late Evening Outing

Had a weekend getaway, where my 2.5 year old woke up in the middle of the night saying let's go home and my wife and I - knowing that we're about 150 miles away from home - had to convince him to go back to sleep. So, we got home today a complete train wreck from our relaxing weekend getaway. So here is 10:00PM and the boys are finally asleep and my wife being dead tired goes to bed.

I, knowing that I haven't given any love to my C2 Cab 996 decide to take a late evening drive. I get to this dark winding road and the only thing I can see is what's shining in front of me by the beam of my xenons, the yellow lines in the middle of the road that hypnotize me to follow them, and the shining yellow reflection from the effectors as a nod of approval. I push and push and as I take the turns, the feedback from my 996 is "don't worry, I got this!" Then it suddenly hits me that my rear tires are almost bald but still she hugs the road and sings in my ears and I just can't help it...I smile and give her a pad on the dash. Then it's time to get home, and I get on the freeway and I let her sing on the onramp and she shows me nothing but love. Do I think about IMS, RMS, AOS, etc.? Not at all! And when I get home, I find a family of deer right next to my garage and I park and stop the engine. Before I leave, I stop and take one last look and say: Aufwiedersehen!

Last edited by Rubik; 11-17-2014 at 04:43 AM.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:48 AM
vargas
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubik
Do I think about IMS, RMS, AOS, etc.?
My old man always told me drive them like they were meant to be driven and the mechanics will take care of themselves. Good post, Rubki! I figured I'd jump in and give you a positive reply before some of these members start bashing you for not taking into consideration that the heads can crack, the bearing can shatter, the tires can blow...it never ends.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:56 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 462 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by vargas
.... the heads can crack, the bearing can shatter, the tires can blow...it never ends...
Correct. One of those deer could have taken him out in no time.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:11 AM
vargas
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
you guys always find a way to get me..LOL! This one was actually really clever!
Old 11-17-2014, 07:40 AM
911 carrera blue
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubik
Had a weekend getaway, where my 2.5 year old woke up in the middle of the night saying let's go home and my wife and I - knowing that we're about 150 miles away from home - had to convince him to go back to sleep. So, we got home today a complete train wreck from our relaxing weekend getaway.

I remember those times the term "vacation" left the window, when my kids were at that age.
You're not alone in your 996 thoughts, this is where your thread belongs.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-to-worry.html
Old 11-17-2014, 08:38 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

That's the attitude Rubik, enjoy your porsche!
Old 11-17-2014, 08:46 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by vargas
My old man always told me drive them like they were meant to be driven and the mechanics will take care of themselves. Good post, Rubki! I figured I'd jump in and give you a positive reply before some of these members start bashing you for not taking into consideration that the heads can crack, the bearing can shatter, the tires can blow...it never ends.
Mine is doing OK. I drive it hard occasionally but never let the revs drop below 2300 during normal driving. I don't loose any sleep. Have full faith in German design and engineering with no fingers crossed. The original RMS is still in there. I cross each bridge when I get to them. Not come to any I couldn't cross via DIY so far. Got to agree with your posting. Positive thinking beats all comers.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:15 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
I think all of them were mesmerized by the design of her headlights.

Last edited by Rubik; 11-17-2014 at 01:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Late Evening Outing