Sponsored by:

Lowrider 996

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 06:36 PM
KC-944 Turbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowrider 996

Has anyone lowered their 996? I had a friend lower his by 1" and said it handled much better. Thoughts?

Here it sits at stock height. Sorry for the dark photo.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:39 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 934 Posts

Beautiful car. You can certainly lower it, but you need to consider the impact on ride quality, ground clearance, etc.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:46 PM
white out
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

coilovers transformed my 996.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:47 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Stan
Mine's been lowered - Bilstein's all the way around. You can take it for a drive whenever you want. Just noticed last month that the fenders have been rolled as well.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:56 PM
KC-944 Turbo
Racer

Thanks KCAttorney. I might take you up on that. Like I said, the friend used lowering springs.

Coilover and/or Bilstein's... I might have to do some research.

Keep the input coming...
Old 11-16-2014, 08:31 PM
AlexT.
Rennlist Member

Lowering springs really won't make a worlds difference in handling. Maybe slightly, but they're mostly just for the lowered "look." Coilovers however, will definitely improve the handling a lot. With less body roll from the stiffened suspension, you'll definitely noticed the handling in the corners.

I would like to go the coilover route eventually with my 996. I have some on my Impreza 2.5RS and besides good tires, they're the best mod for handling upgrades. I was going to buy springs for the 996, but I've read quite a few post that they can wear out the struts. Maybe others can chime in on that?
Old 11-17-2014, 03:18 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,857 Likes on 1,523 Posts

Sport springs (aka lowering springs) absolutely *did* make a huge improvement in my 996 C2's handling. I used H&R sport springs and the OEM shocks which were still in excellent shape damping-wise. It also looked much better than the standard US-spec ride height.

A DIY job at very low cost.... but you will need an alignment.

More info on this thread...

The primary advantage of coil-overs is being able to corner balance your car, adjusting the weight to achieve as perfect as possible weight distribution in a ready-to-race configuration. Driver in car, extra ballast like spare tires, etc out of the car, half tank fuel, etc. It's not really all that applicable for a street car, but people love their adjustable coil-overs that essentially are never really adjusted, even when first installed... Now having good shocks *is* important, as is having shocks that are suited to the spring rates your installing, but the OEM dampers are actually quite good when mated with a bit stiffer spring.

YMMV.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:13 AM
robbieracer
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd also like to lower mine, but one concern is, if I would I rub on speed bumps or driveway entrances. I had this with my old lowered E46 M3 and my past 991 C2S (SPASM) and it was quite annoying. Right now my 996 is stock and I never scrape, but being 1" lower would be nice.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:06 PM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

How low will you go?

Old 11-17-2014, 12:32 PM
white out
Three Wheelin'

996C2 with cheap K-Sport coilovers had the best turn-in of any car I've ever driven (Viper on coilovers with 305 front tires, Viper ACR, Murcielagos, Gallardos, Elise, Z06s, STi on Ohlins, etc). The key part is on coilovers, the 996 has a more harsh and direct feel, similar to a Viper or Z06; where I compare a stock 996 ride to an M3. Lowering springs are going to be on the softer side vs. coilovers.

Originally Posted by pfbz
Sport springs (aka lowering springs) absolutely *did* make a huge improvement in my 996 C2's handling. I used H&R sport springs and the OEM shocks which were still in excellent shape damping-wise. It also looked much better than the standard US-spec ride height.

A DIY job at very low cost.... but you will need an alignment.

More info on this thread...

The primary advantage of coil-overs is being able to corner balance your car, adjusting the weight to achieve as perfect as possible weight distribution in a ready-to-race configuration. Driver in car, extra ballast like spare tires, etc out of the car, half tank fuel, etc. It's not really all that applicable for a street car, but people love their adjustable coil-overs that essentially are never really adjusted, even when first installed... Now having good shocks *is* important, as is having shocks that are suited to the spring rates your installing, but the OEM dampers are actually quite good when mated with a bit stiffer spring.

YMMV.
Eh. While coilovers are adjustable, it doesn't mean that they constantly have to be adjusted. I dial the car into where I want it and leave it. The ability to get the car where I want it makes coilovers my personal choice.

Other perks; lowered weight, flat cornering, shocks not bottoming out, easy install, change stiffness, and all new components.

Originally Posted by robbieracer
I'd also like to lower mine, but one concern is, if I would I rub on speed bumps or driveway entrances. I had this with my old lowered E46 M3 and my past 991 C2S (SPASM) and it was quite annoying. Right now my 996 is stock and I never scrape, but being 1" lower would be nice.
My low 996 didn't scrape or high center, but it would frequently lift a front wheel off the ground. On the other hand, my lowered Vipers and C5 would high center on speed bumps and scrape the nose everywhere.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:42 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My tt currently scrapes the front spoiler going into or out of the my apartment car park and also going into my local Porsche indy's reception area.

Old 11-17-2014, 12:44 PM
Neto
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine is lowered with H&R coilovers, It is a little lower in the front..

Old 11-17-2014, 12:57 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 934 Posts

Originally Posted by mcbit
My tt currently scrapes the front spoiler going into or out of the my apartment car park and also going into my local Porsche indy's reception area.

I have similar issues with my stock height 997 TT. I predict that I'll go through a front spoiler lip once a year or more.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:04 PM
white out
Three Wheelin'

Are you not taking angles while traversing inclines? Maybe the front lip on the TT is lower than the n/a cars.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:27 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I have similar issues with my stock height 997 TT. I predict that I'll go through a front spoiler lip once a year or more.
I guess I'll be doing the same.

[QUOTE=white out;11810152]Are you not taking angles while traversing inclines? Maybe the front lip on the TT is lower than the n/a cars.

It is.

Quick Reply: Lowrider 996