Sponsored by:

996 IMS Solution vs Retro Fit

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 06:07 PM
uptheorg
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All the criticism about this thread being "just another IMS thread" is silly because I, for one, found this thread incredibly helpful, especially after Mr. Raby posted.

So I went to the link for the "solution" and it says there are only a few mechanics certified to do this. Does that mean that my local independent P-car mechanic cannot do it?
Old 12-16-2014, 06:10 PM
JD ARTHUR
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you should call Jake Raby and ask?
Old 12-16-2014, 06:25 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by JD ARTHUR
I think you should call Jake Raby and ask?
This is Rennlist. Members don't do that around here.

Just like they'd rather ask about what's wrong with something a mechanic recently did instead of taking the car back and letting the mechanic fix it.

Or asking about a problem they might have when they planned on all along taking it to a mechanic for their expert diagnosis rendering the thread they originally started practically useless.

Or saying they heard a sound and have everyone chime in on all the terminal cases and theories while in the end finding out the noise was a small stone trapped in the calipers.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:33 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by uptheorg
All the criticism about this thread being "just another IMS thread" is silly because I, for one, found this thread incredibly helpful, especially after Mr. Raby posted.

So I went to the link for the "solution" and it says there are only a few mechanics certified to do this. Does that mean that my local independent P-car mechanic cannot do it?
No, it means that he isn't Certified and hasn't been trained or evaluated. It also means that he doesn't have to follow a code of conduct to maintain his certification.

Certified Installers have something to lose and they are watched very closely, having to submit pictures and old bearings of each engine they retrofit. We endorse these people and hand select those to be evaluated on an invitation only basis from our hands on training classes.

Normal shops have nothing to lose. They install a part and if something goes wrong they just throw their hands up and say the problem isn't theirs, that it's ours...
Old 12-16-2014, 06:36 PM
uptheorg
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by alpine003
This is Rennlist. Members don't do that around here.
Ouch! I've been a member for ten years, and even though you are right, it still hurts! I like to look on the forum as a group of guys shootin' the breeze and, while the information may sometimes be wrong, you can still learn from the other guys. It takes little effort for someone to type a reply to my answer -- I didn't think I was asking for too much.

I have a call in to Raby now.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:14 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Some Forum members get irritated when Jake(or others) goes into technical details that they misconstrue as self promotion. I love it ! If like me you do all your own mechanical work, you'll probably really appreciate the time Jake takes to help us. The devilment of this M96 engine is in the small details that he harps on.
Having 'done' an IMS bearing myself, I understand the many opportunities there are for an unscrupulous/lazy mechanic to do poor work that would cause a premature failure of a new IMS bearing. Jake might say it is "just procedural/sequential and fastitious" but some human nature prefers to cut corners and race against the All Data or OEM time clock for a job. That is part of the reason I do my own work.This is significant since I have an interest in an exotic car repair/service facility.The only mechanic there that I would allow to work on the M96 is also Jag/Aston Martin Master Tech. Wisely ,he declines to touch it !
When I first started working on the M96 I was rather dismissive of the required approach. Then ,after almost making a few blunders I was ready to discard the M96 & return to the engines I already understand. Eventually I realized that if you just follow the Raby Directives to the letter, it may be tedious but it works.
The M96 is a flawed work of (mechanical) art. Fortunately Raby/LN sells us tools and parts to fix some of those flaws. If you ever assemble an M96 after a complete tear-down ,you'll appreciate the intricacies and be overwhelmed by the lack of information on how to ensure a successful build.So anyone who helps our community by giving information ,I applaud.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:30 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by uptheorg
Ouch! I've been a member for ten years, and even though you are right, it still hurts! I like to look on the forum as a group of guys shootin' the breeze and, while the information may sometimes be wrong, you can still learn from the other guys. It takes little effort for someone to type a reply to my answer -- I didn't think I was asking for too much.

I have a call in to Raby now.
I don't see any calls in our system, but did you leave a message at IMS solution from a 914 area code?
Old 12-16-2014, 11:16 PM
tlisotta
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
No, it means that he isn't Certified and hasn't been trained or evaluated. It also means that he doesn't have to follow a code of conduct to maintain his certification.

Certified Installers have something to lose and they are watched very closely, having to submit pictures and old bearings of each engine they retrofit. We endorse these people and hand select those to be evaluated on an invitation only basis from our hands on training classes.

Normal shops have nothing to lose. They install a part and if something goes wrong they just throw their hands up and say the problem isn't theirs, that it's ours...
Jake - I live in Dallas, TX. Looks like there is no one near that is certified? I know there are some great places like RAC Performance (used to be RUF). What does someone do if they like your solution best? Ship or drive to the nearest state that has certification? or I am assuming RAC can get the parts and I am on my own from the standpoint they are not certified?
Old 12-16-2014, 11:51 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by tlisotta
Jake - I live in Dallas, TX. Looks like there is no one near that is certified? I know there are some great places like RAC Performance (used to be RUF). What does someone do if they like your solution best? Ship or drive to the nearest state that has certification? or I am assuming RAC can get the parts and I am on my own from the standpoint they are not certified?
Any shop that buys from SSF, Worldpac, or IMC can get the parts, and they can do the work, but like I said, they are not Certified. Being able to "do the job" has many definitions, and most shops just want to power through and do the work, they don't pre qualify and they don't post evaluate as thoroughly as they should. Certified Installers are mandated to do these things and to be in constant contact with the IMS Solution team. If a Certified Installer makes a bad judgement call and retrofits an engine thats not worthy- we pull their Certification. We also ensure that purchasers are happy with the service the Certified Installers extend, and we'll pull a Certification if the shop has poor service and doesn't exhibit integrity. This happened to a NJ shop over a year ago, and we don't extend second chances to ruin our reputation.

Fact: RAC has a car on their lot waiting to be shipped to my facility now.

Lots of Texas cars come to us for the IMS Solution, we've done at least 20 this year so far from Texas.

That said, in my latest hand's on class a group from Texas impressed Charles and I and were one of 4 people (out of 20) that were invited to start the Certified Installer evaluation process. I am awaiting their written evaluation back for review now, and then comes the rest of the evaluation, which may include a spontaneous visit to the shop; or could include the shop being tasked with a practical application evaluation of an IMS Solution Retrofit process. We don't make this easy.

All in all anyone that hopes to become Certified has to attend the 16 hour WTI class to be qualified for my M96 102 Hands On Class, then attend that class, which is 40 more hours of hands on instruction. All in all I have someone in my presence for at least 56 hours before I even attempt to invite them to the Certification stages. Most of them don't even know they are being evaluated, until I drag them aside after the hands on class and put them in a small group of others that have also been chosen. Thats the way I like it.

In my opinion, the way I structured this for the IMS Solution is how all the retrofit products should have been structured. It would have mandated training for all, evaluation for all, and a code of conduct for all; stating they'd not use retrofit products to "fix" engines that should not be repaired, and they they'd document the entire process to turn into the database. If this would have happened, I don't believe that any retrofit product would have failed to date.

Anywhere from Texas to Georgia is under 500 bucks, and we we that haul at least monthly.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:59 PM
JD ARTHUR
Racer

never mind

Last edited by JD ARTHUR; 12-17-2014 at 12:01 AM. Reason: already answered
Old 12-17-2014, 12:04 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by JD ARTHUR
TLISOTTA, I think you should call Jakes shop, ask for Jud or just dial extension 167. Thats who I talked to when I had them do mine. He answered every question and then some. I also talked to Jake but I got the feeling like Jake would be on the phone constantly if it wasn't for Jud. I'm amazed when ever he takes the time to post here.

Extension 627 :-)

I have been home sick all week with a virus that brought me to my knees. I had to get some kind of work done, but if I went to the shop I'd just spread the funk and knock everyone out. So, I decided to stay home and work on the book, and try to get over this mess, so thats why I have been on the forum so much lately.

BUT my New Year's resolution is to end all forum posts and visits, because its not good for my health. I get so mad that I can spit nails every time I make a visit. Your New Year's Resolution should be the IMS Solution. HA!
Old 12-17-2014, 12:09 AM
tlisotta
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

Any shop that buys from SSF, Worldpac, or IMC can get the parts, and they can do the work, but like I said, they are not Certified. Being able to "do the job" has many definitions, and most shops just want to power through and do the work, they don't pre qualify and they don't post evaluate as thoroughly as they should. Certified Installers are mandated to do these things and to be in constant contact with the IMS Solution team. If a Certified Installer makes a bad judgement call and retrofits an engine thats not worthy- we pull their Certification. We also ensure that purchasers are happy with the service the Certified Installers extend, and we'll pull a Certification if the shop has poor service and doesn't exhibit integrity. This happened to a NJ shop over a year ago, and we don't extend second chances to ruin our reputation.

Fact: RAC has a car on their lot waiting to be shipped to my facility now.

Lots of Texas cars come to us for the IMS Solution, we've done at least 20 this year so far from Texas.

That said, in my latest hand's on class a group from Texas impressed Charles and I and were one of 4 people (out of 20) that were invited to start the Certified Installer evaluation process. I am awaiting their written evaluation back for review now, and then comes the rest of the evaluation, which may include a spontaneous visit to the shop; or could include the shop being tasked with a practical application evaluation of an IMS Solution Retrofit process. We don't make this easy.

All in all anyone that hopes to become Certified has to attend the 16 hour WTI class to be qualified for my M96 102 Hands On Class, then attend that class, which is 40 more hours of hands on instruction. All in all I have someone in my presence for at least 56 hours before I even attempt to invite them to the Certification stages. Most of them don't even know they are being evaluated, until I drag them aside after the hands on class and put them in a small group of others that have also been chosen. Thats the way I like it.

In my opinion, the way I structured this for the IMS Solution is how all the retrofit products should have been structured. It would have mandated training for all, evaluation for all, and a code of conduct for all; stating they'd not use retrofit products to "fix" engines that should not be repaired, and they they'd document the entire process to turn into the database. If this would have happened, I don't believe that any retrofit product would have failed to date.

Anywhere from Texas to Georgia is under 500 bucks, and we we that haul at least monthly.
Thanks Jake and I get what you are saying. Thanks for taking the time to post. I hope you feel better. Lets hope Texas gets some love!
Old 12-17-2014, 12:19 AM
uptheorg
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I don't see any calls in our system, but did you leave a message at IMS solution from a 914 area code?
Yes, Jake. I did leave a msg at IMS from 914. Reading your response to my earlier post answered my question that was the reason for the call. I understand now why taking it to a certified shop is MUCH more desirable. My only problem with that is that to bring it to you or a certified mechanic will require me taking a half week off or spending upwards of $1500 shipping the car. These are enormous barriers for me. I know that revenue now is better than later, but maybe you could whisper me a hint if you know of a shop in the NY area being certified in the near future? That would be best for me and I would commit immediately. Shipping the car five or six states away gives me pause for obvious reasons.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:21 AM
JD ARTHUR
Racer

Tlisotta, I didn't read what year your car is but if its an early 99 or 2000 and has the double row bearing the IMS SOLUTION can NOT be installed in those cars. The early cars get another double row bearing that is supposed to be good for at least 75000 miles and is splash lubricated. The Solution is a pressure lubricated plain bearing that Jake was initially only going to put in the engines his shop built but it can only be used in the cars that came with a single row bearing. This is all info I got when I was making my decision on having them do mine. I'm pretty sure its accurate as that was only a month ago and I think my memory span is still good for about that long. By the way they are a great shop to work with.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:56 AM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If the early and late bearings only have 1% failure...the problem is mostly about the cars in the middle with the 8% failure rate.

I was chatting with a mechanic on the JUSTASK site and he said the basic reason the Turbo 996 does not have the IMS failure is because their bearing is lubricated with engine oil and is not a sealed bearing.

If this is the plain and simple problem...which of the "fixes" best emulates the 996 Turbo bearing lubrication design? LN? EPS? Others?

Alternately...if the early (twin row) and late (large single) IMS bearings only suffer a 1% failure rate vs the second generation small single bearing with an 8% failure rate, which year/engines did the large single bearing come into service?

And which sealed bearing solution best matches or exceeds the factory OEM large bearing and can be fitted into cars with the small single bearings?

Lastly...and the thing that keeps me curious about all this...is the fact that the bearings with the highest failure rate of 8% also have a survival rate of 92%...which means the odds are GREATLY in favor of them not failing.

Quick Reply: 996 IMS Solution vs Retro Fit