996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 IMS Solution vs Retro Fit

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 11:23 AM
911 carrera blue
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess no one like to see the IMS thread and prefer to start a "new one" why???

Old 11-12-2014, 11:27 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

It's kinda ironic how many people worry about bearings and lines when there are cars that have over 200k on wheel bearings which get a lot of abuse(albeit seals/grease intact though) and brake lines that never get changed out for 200-300k miles and is under a lot more pressure. I also get mixed up between DOF and The Solution but isn't the oil filtered anyways when it comes to concerns about clogging? In terms of the line breaking, I would think that would be the least of your worries as you'd probably have a cracked block or oil pan at the least. Technically anything that moves or deteriorates can be considered a wear part. Do you plan on getting dentures as your teeth wears too? Also, they use these same lines in Nascar if that says anything. LOL

Oh gawd, suckered into ANOTHER IXX post again...
Old 11-12-2014, 11:33 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Z
Just out of curiosity, in your 25 years of wrenching on engines that you base your "oppinion" on, how many oil passageways have you seen that consisted of an approximately foot-long flexible hose running from an aftermarket oil filter adapter through a hand-cut hole in the bellhousing to an aftermarket flange?
You are deflecting now. Clogged oil passages are extremly rare, regardless if they are external lines or internal. Why do I have the feeling that you are a plastic mechanic?
Old 11-12-2014, 01:58 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
You are deflecting now. Clogged oil passages are extremly rare, regardless if they are external lines or internal. Why do I have the feeling that you are a plastic mechanic?
Idk, maybe for the same reason you made this post, to deflect from answering a question you are unable to?
Old 11-12-2014, 02:01 PM
vargas
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=911 carrera blue;11797437] I guess no one like to see the IMS thread and prefer to start a "new one" why???

This is a thread about LN's "The Solution" kit compared to their "Retro" bearing swap and people's experience/opinions on each. I am sure other members would appreciate this discussion if/when making a decision to address their IMS on their 996's.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:03 PM
vargas
Instructor

Originally Posted by alpine003
It's kinda ironic how many people worry about bearings and lines when there are cars that have over 200k on wheel bearings which get a lot of abuse(albeit seals/grease intact though) and brake lines that never get changed out for 200-300k miles and is under a lot more pressure. I also get mixed up between DOF and The Solution but isn't the oil filtered anyways when it comes to concerns about clogging? In terms of the line breaking, I would think that would be the least of your worries as you'd probably have a cracked block or oil pan at the least. Technically anything that moves or deteriorates can be considered a wear part. Do you plan on getting dentures as your teeth wears too? Also, they use these same lines in Nascar if that says anything. LOL

Oh gawd, suckered into ANOTHER IXX post again...
Good points!
Old 11-12-2014, 03:48 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Z
Idk, maybe for the same reason you made this post, to deflect from answering a question you are unable to?
I didn’t answer because your were side tracking the discussion. You must be a lawyer or watched My Cousin Vinny too many times. But to answer it anyways, bearings are fed with external oil lines all the time in the heavy or industrial machinery industry and I’ve seen a few of those. Is this relevant to the topic at hand, NO!
Old 11-12-2014, 04:33 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

You must be a lawyer or watched My Cousin Vinny too many times.

I'm just sticking to the classic Rennlist pattern...question is asked...opinions started...arguments arise...it gets off topic...some off topic pics thrown in... off topic remarks...boobie pics...if it goes further then something about unicorns...
Old 11-12-2014, 07:07 PM
ltusler
Three Wheelin'

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Uh, no.

Starting with the Boxster/996 911 flat 6 engines the layshaft (IMS) was fitted with a roller bearing and the layshaft was full length.

Previously the flat 6 engine had a plain bearing and the shaft was short. The layshaft in my Turbo's engine is gear driven, too, not chain driven.
Yes I was talking about the plain bearing thanks for the corrections Mr. Perfect.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:34 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

You must be a lawyer or watched My Cousin Vinny too many times.
I'm not, and there's no such a thing as watching it too many times
Old 11-12-2014, 09:00 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 305 Likes on 168 Posts

I am a lawyer and can confirm that you cannot watch that movie too often. EYE--DENT--ICK--UHLLL
Old 11-12-2014, 09:23 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by ltusler
Yes I was talking about the plain bearing thanks for the corrections Mr. Perfect.
Somebody forget to take his nap?
Old 11-12-2014, 11:23 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

You won't find a lot of owners here with the IMS Solution, but there are a few.

If you really want to get feedback, email us and we'll contact a few owners and give them your email address or number and I am sure they will want to share their story with you. One has already posted in this thread, he just chose to stay anonymous.

I originally invented this for my engines only; I never released it until all the copy cat band wagon IMS kits showed up on the market, and we decided to put them in their places. It took Charles from LN a LONG time to convince me to co- market the IMS Solution to distribution.

The IMS Solution has been available on the open market for two years now, and for longer than that inside my reconstructed engines. For a long while I'd not even mention the IMS Solution to anyone until they had committed to an engine and sent their deposit in, then I'd give them an option and share something with them that they'd never heard of, or even seen before. The first time one of those cars went to a dealership for a shift cable repair, things got really interesting under the car. No one had a clue what it was.

As for the oil line. Unless you own a rally 996, you won't have any issues. As part of our R&D Charles and I took a 7,800 mile trip to Edmonton AB Canada and 107 miles of that trip was on a dirt road. Out of the hundreds that have been sold, not one has had a road hazard issue. The ONLY ammo that the opposition has against the IMS Solution, is stating that the oil line is a vulnerability; because they KNOW that its what Porsche should have done, and they wish they would have invented and developed it before I did.

Vertex claims that their cylindrical bearing is good for the life of the engine
Want to speak to at least two people that can argue this point? One of them has less than 1K miles on his story. I can arrange the meeting.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:49 AM
vargas
Instructor

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
You won't find a lot of owners here with the IMS Solution, but there are a few.

If you really want to get feedback, email us and we'll contact a few owners and give them your email address or number and I am sure they will want to share their story with you. One has already posted in this thread, he just chose to stay anonymous.

I originally invented this for my engines only; I never released it until all the copy cat band wagon IMS kits showed up on the market, and we decided to put them in their places. It took Charles from LN a LONG time to convince me to co- market the IMS Solution to distribution.

The IMS Solution has been available on the open market for two years now, and for longer than that inside my reconstructed engines. For a long while I'd not even mention the IMS Solution to anyone until they had committed to an engine and sent their deposit in, then I'd give them an option and share something with them that they'd never heard of, or even seen before. The first time one of those cars went to a dealership for a shift cable repair, things got really interesting under the car. No one had a clue what it was.

As for the oil line. Unless you own a rally 996, you won't have any issues. As part of our R&D Charles and I took a 7,800 mile trip to Edmonton AB Canada and 107 miles of that trip was on a dirt road. Out of the hundreds that have been sold, not one has had a road hazard issue. The ONLY ammo that the opposition has against the IMS Solution, is stating that the oil line is a vulnerability; because they KNOW that its what Porsche should have done, and they wish they would have invented and developed it before I did.
Thanks for this, Jake. :thumb up: Really appreciate you addressing this!
Old 11-13-2014, 06:17 AM
Blrmkr
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I am glad to be one of those to chime in. I purchased a low mileage (28,000 miles),one owner, garage queen in August of last year. I had done my research and went in knowing that this 02 had the single row bearing and that I would be looking at doing some upgrade in the near future. Could have waited for the clutch to go but decided better to be proactive than reactive.

I decided to get the work done last winter and I could have gone with the basic retrofit that had been around for a number of years, the IMS Solution that had been out a little over a year, or the new IMS Pro (double row replacement for my single row that had just been released. I talked to several members in my PCA club, read all of the forum posts on this site, read Tony Callas's write up from last fall on the IMS Solution, and finally, had some communication with Jake.

I decided that I wanted to pay up a little and go with what I considered to be the final answer on this issue so that I didn't need to think about it anymore. IMS solution was installed in March and just changed the oil (JG DT40) after 3,500 miles. Engine runs great and I sleep better. Happy to discuss with you if that would help.

Quick Reply: 996 IMS Solution vs Retro Fit